: Usenet and Newsreader

rob111
2007-02-19, 04:05 PM
Iam looking for a good usenet news server, I have read about giganews and was wondering if anybody has any good or bad opinions. Also if any opinions on a good newsreader such as newsleecher / newsbinpro.

Thanks for any help

Rob

stampeder
2007-02-19, 05:30 PM
I googled "usenet server" and the results page had a list of pay as you go Usenet services on the right. Try one, and if you don't like it, move on until you find a satisfactory one.

Squeetard
2007-02-19, 05:47 PM
I am using newsbin pro and have a giganews subscription. For a good year and a half now, I love it. I use my provider (shawnews) as the main server and use the giganews server as the fill server as they have all the parts shaw is missing. I have 10 simultaneous connections to each server and I peak out at upwards of 700 kilobytes/sec.

I have the $12.99/mo 25gb limit account and rarely go over.

sleemo
2007-02-19, 07:39 PM
"Newshosting" is unlimited and is about $15CDN per month if you pay on a monthly basis. It's very fast.

As for software, Newsleecher's SuperSearch is very good. IMO, Newsleecher is the better of the two.

Walter Dnes
2007-02-19, 10:03 PM
Iam looking for a good usenet news server, I have read about giganews and was wondering if anybody has any good or bad opinions.
I use Astraweb http://www.news.astraweb.com/
A nice option from them is "Pay by Download", i.e. the ability to buy X gigabytes for Y dollars (there are 3 diffent plans). THE GIGABYTES DO NOT EXPIRE. If it takes you years to burn off your gigabytes, the one-time payment is all you pay, until you need to top up. I'm a low-bandwidth user, almost exlusively plaintext groups. I paid US$25 for 65 gigabytes back in October 2004. My current status is...

Bytes Downloaded: 10,226,043,860 bytes (10.23 GB)
Downloads Left: 54,773,956,140 bytes (54.77 GB)

Also if any opinions on a good newsreader such as newsleecher / newsbinpro.
One size does not fit all. Because I use a newsreader for communication, not for downloading movies, I prefer slrn, although it's also half-decent for binaries. I've always been a "command-line-commando", since the "green-screen" days of CP/M. slrn is an excellent text-based newsreader. It also has the ability to spool to your harddrive, and read offline later. I follow a few groups, so I use this option.