: Sanyo AVL-209 Disappointment

CdnTech
2007-02-10, 03:40 PM
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share my experience with my first LCD TV purchase. I recently returned my 20" Sanyo AVL-209 TV after experiencing two separate instances where the built in tuner (hooked up to regular basic cable) did not display any channels. The backgrounds were either dark or purple in colour...sometimes even displaying a partial picture with jagged, fuzziness in the remaining 2/3rds of the screen.

This happened at a random interval with what appears to be no apparent reason. The first time it occurred was after the TV had been functioning fine for several weeks before. I suspected my cheap coax cable was to blame so I swapped it out for another, heavier duty cable. No difference. Then when the problem disappeared within 1 1/2 days I began to suspect that my cable company, Shaw in Victoria, was monkeying around with the cable junction box in my neighbourhood. After it disappeared I forgot all about it.

Needless to say I was not amused when it occurred again just recently after working exceptionally well for a couple of months. This time the picture never did come back after 2 1/2 weeks so I had a cable repair guy come visit to test my lines. He brought his own TV and cables - of course he had no troubles with his test setup. He mentioned that it was possibly the built-in tuner with my unit. I was crushed.

The next evening I hooked my TV up to a PMP (Portable Multi-media Player, Cowon A2) which has several Divx shows I wanted to watch on a bigger screen. It took me about 15 minutes to get my TV to recognize a signal from my device whereas previously it had been recognized instantly. So this was the last straw. I returned the television to Costco and received a reimbursement for my purchase.

I honestly liked the Sanyo LCD and had enjoyed it immensely in the 6 1/2 months I had the unit - when it was working properly. Needless to say I was hesitant to pick up a replacement unit and am now searching for a slightly larger screen size and different model. I suspect I may have just gotten a lemon model and hope others have had better experiences with this particular model than I encountered. :(

Thanks for reading,
CdnTech.