Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Picture Calibration with Star Choice

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
I have a DVR530 hooked up on an LCD Projector (Panasonic PT-AE900U) via component video and I want to do some picture / colour calibration.

Does anyone have a recommended way to do this? For my DVD inputs, I've used calibration software such as AVIA or Digital Video Essentials that contain test patterns and colour filters.

Does Star Choice broadcast test patterns or other calibration patterns for colour or otherwise? Or is the only way to do it by guessing?

#3 ·
there was a CBC employee who was participating a while ago. He or She was able to run some test patterns late at night to allow rudimentary calibration/resolution checks.

I don't know if they are still around.
That would definitely be helpful. Does anyone know if these test patterns still are broadcasted? If so, anyone know what channel(s) and at what time?

I'd love to record them onto my DVR530 in order to periodically calibrate the picture.

I suppose one other way to perhaps approximate calibration is to connect my DVD player into the video inputs of the DVR530 and do calibrations there (using Avia/DVE).

#5 ·
CBC is no longer running the test pattern.

The only test pattern that I know of is on HDNet (which you may not have on *C).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52173

One way to calibrate is to use the settings from the DVD player for that input, transfer any settings if the mode is remembered by input and then do it by eye. I usually find the major change is in the brightness control with minor changes in colour, tint, contrast.

See also the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "What you need to do to your new HDTV" if you haven't already.

#6 ·
Run avia through your 530 front pnl input (located under the right side drop down door). Change the input on the 530 using your remote, press - sat -> input.
Front display will change to something along the lines of Aux.
Running Avia through the 530 should give you a very close approximation of the avia signal patterns using the signal processing functions on the 530.

Just a thought

#7 ·
That's a neat idea....

As part of a set up rewrite, I had recommended a set of rudimentary test patterns.
They were designed to be 720x480 pixels which is THE standard for ALL graphics screens and the Broadcom video scaler chip converts that up and down to 480i, 480p, 720p & 1080i.
Thus the suggested OVERSCAN slide would always be accurate and we asked for gray scale and colour bars as well.
This was all part of the fact that overscan might be a real problem for the 207/317 new guide on old/small CRT's that are often mal-adjusted since the new graphics are designed to observe NTSC safe zones and unlike the current DSR5XX IPG's whose menu bars roll off the screen edge, the new ones have defined edges.

The overscan slide is also supposed to be used as part of a real-time screen position adjuster since the existing one has never worked and is too clumsy to use had it worked anyways.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. So it doesn't sound like anyone broadcasts test patterns on Star Choice's lineup right now (no HDNet that I'm aware of at least, and it sounds like CBC no longer broadcasts the SEMPTE pattern after-hours).

I'll just run Avia and/or DVE on my DVD player through the front AUX inputs on my DVR530 to approximate for now.

Oh, and 57, I might be blind but I can't find the FAQ you mention re: calibrating an HDTV.

Cheers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.