: Why is there so little HD hockey on TV?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

markb
2007-02-10, 12:51 AM
The second CBC game is such poor quality because it is SD Widescreen, not HD. The first, Leafs, game isn't of that great of quality either. CBC always looks darker then other networks.

tlb
2007-02-10, 02:46 PM
I was going to start whining about the Leafs game being in HD tonight and the Habs/Sens game not, but then I started thinking about the logistics of all this and have come to the conclusion that there really is no alternative, given the HD resources that are available to CBC right now.

As I see it, two things have to happen in order for CBC to provided a hockey game in HDTV. First, the game has to be filmed in HD by an HD Production Mobile (truck) of which, I believe, CBC has only one. Second, the game has to be broadcasted by CBLT-DT, CBC’s Toronto station, and the only CBC station that can broadcast HDTV.

So tonight, at 7 pm, CBLT-DT is going to broadcast the Pittsburg at Toronto game. Makes sense – the Toronto station broadcasts the Toronto game. It follows then that the HD truck should be in Toronto so that the game can be filmed in HD and then broadcasted in HD. In other words, it would make no sense to send the only HD truck to Montréal for the Ottawa at Montréal game because the stations that will be broadcasting this game (Ottawa and Montréal) are not capable of broadcasting in HD !

The solution to more HD hockey on CBC is more HD trucks and more HD broadcast stations.

That's the way I see it. Please feel free to correct me if I have anything wrong here.

james99
2007-02-10, 04:26 PM
The solution is for the CBC to drive the truck to Montreal and show the Montreal game coast to coast.

ToberMoron
2007-02-11, 08:55 AM
The reason more Leaf games are available is simple......audience! There are more available viewers and Leaf fans that any other team in the NHL. Look at the attendance at every arena in the NHL when the Leafs are playing.

james99
2007-02-11, 09:48 AM
Yup. I think St. Louis had 6000 people last week when the Leafs were in town.

I said this before, if HNIC showed Nashville every Saturday night for 60 years then Nashville would be the most popular team in Canada.

The CBC has shaped viewers because of its Toronto stance.

Now, back on topic. If you want more HD hockey, let the NHL know when the contracts are being re-negotiated next season. HDNet has the best selection of HD hockey.

Juggie
2007-02-12, 12:14 AM
tlb,

you are wrong. CBC has 4 stations that can broadcast HD. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa.

pjreid
2007-02-12, 08:33 AM
The CBC has shaped viewers because of its Toronto stance.

Hmm..you don't think that Toronto being the largest city in Canada (sixth largest in North America, for that matter) has anything to do with this? Nope, blame the CBC...they're the ones forcing the issue.

Let's get this straight--the CBC shows the Leafs 80-90% of the time because the Leafs are the biggest draw, hence bringing in the largest amount of advertising revenue.

Keep in mind as well, that for the first 25 years or so of the CBC broadcasts, there only _was_ the Leafs in terms of (English) hockey teams. English Canada watched the Leafs, French Canada watched the Habs. Period. Following those 25 years, the Leafs' place in the minds of a lot of Canadians was cemented, for better or for worse. Once you add back in the largest city in Canada figure, and it's self-explanatory why the Leafs are the most popular team in Canada.

Broadcasters in general show the viewing public what they want to see, not the reverse.

james99
2007-02-12, 08:46 AM
Montreal was once Canada's largest city and it certainly had the largest fan base as well but that had no effect on the CBC.

You certainly don't see Monday Night Football showing NY or LA every Monday over the decades that show has been on the air.

pjreid
2007-02-12, 09:32 AM
Sure it did, James. All Montreal games were shown on the French CBC channel. I challenge you to show that Montreal has ever had a larger fan base in _English_ Canada (ie. non-Quebec) than the Leafs.

And MNF doesn't only show just NY and LA every Monday for two reasons:
1) There are so many teams (there are only 6 Canadian NHL teams; and again, for many years there was only one "English" hockey team in Canada)
2) The league obviously doesn't always schedule those teams to Monday nights.

james99
2007-02-12, 10:59 AM
There's no way to measure fan support and like I said earlier the CBC has created Leaf fans but mainly showing the Leafs to English Canada for several decades.

I grew up in Hamilton. During the 70's and 80's most hockey fans were hab fans (the Leaf fans that did exist were in the closest). That has now changed. Since the Leafs are not winning cups or having great seasons the only thing that has really changed is the Toronto owned media in Hamilton.

I'm not asking the CBC to ignore Toronto but they should be aware that most Canadians don't live in Toronto.

I would love the CBC to show the best game that they have the rights to. If that involves the Leafs then so be it.

In the good old days the CBC would switch feeds when a game was out of hand. Can you imagine the CBC today leaving a Leafs game half way through the 3rd period when the score was out of hand to show you a close game featuring another Canadian team? This used to happen.

Anyway, this thread is off-topic so I let this be my last word on this subject in this thread.

Another thread was created nearly a year ago about CBC HD HNIC resources so future comments of this nature should go there.