: Yamaha RX-V1400 and PCM 5.1 audio

James Nickerson
2007-01-04, 12:56 PM
Is my Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver able to process an uncompressed pcm 5.1 audio track coming from a blu-ray movie from my PS3? I am running a digital optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver but the audio is only coming out as 2 channel. Do I need to change some settings in the receiver or is it just not able to handle this signal and I would need a new receiver? Thanks.

QuickSilver
2007-01-04, 01:46 PM
Have u checked the settings on the PS3 to make sure the audio is set to ouput bitsream? I believe you will get 5.1 once you do that. Your receiver cannot process TrueHD it only passes it as DD. Which to me still sounds great.

James Nickerson
2007-01-04, 01:52 PM
Yeah I did switch the PS3 to bitstream so I could get the Dolby Digital but I was wondering if I had to do that or if there was a way to get my receiver to handle the uncompressed 5.1 PCM signal. I guess I need to get a new receiver to get the uncompressed audio then.

QuickSilver
2007-01-04, 02:52 PM
Yes if you want to receive the uncompressed 5.1 then you need a new receiver that handles HDMI processing. I believe there are very few on the market right now.

Dan McGee
2007-01-04, 10:48 PM
I have a Kenwood VR-307 that doesn't seem to recognise the bitstream audio from my HD DVD Polar Express on my (Toshiba HD A2) DVD player as 5.1 multi channel. It plays ordinary DVDs in 5.1 suround (auto detects), yet the same settings don't play the HD DVD.

I know the HD DVD is Dolby Digital Plus, however I thought DD+ was downward compatible with "plain" Dolby Digital 5.1?

This thread sounds like a similar issue. Can anyone explain to me what's happening here?

Thanks in advance,
Dan