: Toshiba 62HM196 DLP: any complaints about this TV?

gentle_man100
2006-11-23, 02:38 AM
My Toshiba Cinema series 36inch CRT TV is finally starting to give up the ghost (keeps turning the picture washed out at times and then snaps back to normal via various sources). It was a great TV and thus I have started to look to see what Toshiba has to offer.

Is $2588+tax a good price for a Toshiba 62HM196 (no stand)? I live in Northern BC and I am looking for a reasonable price for a DLP/LCD unit. This going to the upstairs TV (when I just want to watch a show/game without waking up the kids). I have a now antique DLP front projector (Infocus X1) for my hometheatre setup (downstairs) which I have been very happy with. I am not to keen on a plasma because I would like something that does not have burn in issues (way too many kids videos left on). Any other suggestions in the price range? If I want the toshiba I have to move relatively quickly because they only have one left at that price. Does this TV have the same issues with bulbs as the previous generation did?

Also any suggestions on an upconverting DVD player to match up with this unit? I currently have an LG 7832NCX downstairs (DVB318 in USA) which has been great but I am unsure of the current units which would be a good match of this TV. (No this TV does not have a 1080p in..but it converts 1080i to 1080p if my understanding is correct).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I hate making rushed descisions on things.

hugh
2006-11-23, 07:31 AM
gentle_man, type 62HM196 into the search engine and you'll find quite a few threads discussing this television inlcluding one in the digital deals forum.

gentle_man100
2006-12-01, 01:08 AM
Well I ended up purchasing the 62MX196 for a price I am pretty happy with from Visions locally. I am now in the market for an upconverting DVD player (via HDMI). I have been reading as many reviews as I can and even though my TV can not expect a 1080p signal the one I am currently leaning towards is the Samsung HD960 (mainly for the DCDi by Faroudja and the fact it includes an HDMI cable in the box). The problem is it is $100 more than either the Sony DVPNS75H and the Pioneer DV490VK. Is it really that much better than these units given the fact that I will be outputting in 1080i into the tv?

Matt
P.S.
I tried to carefully do a search on the forum before posting this question and I don't see it posted anywhere else.

Peterb632
2006-12-01, 10:57 AM
Well I ended up purchasing the 62MX196 for a price I am pretty happy with from Visions locally.Congratulations "gentleman100". I got this TV about 3 weeks ago & I think it is just fantastic. I was going from a non hi-def 32" tube TV so it was a big jump for me too.

I am finding there are an awefull lot of adjustments as far as colour management is concerned. I am still playing with the different "hue", "chroma" & "saturation" controls for each colour. Next thing is to get a set up disk for me I think.
Peter (in Burlington)

John1960
2007-05-03, 05:39 PM
I have a Toshiba 62HM 196 that hasn't been right since I first turned it on. I have thin vertical lines about and inch apart across the whole screen. I've been trying to convince Toshiba to authorize service for almost a month now, and I'm still watching as though through vertical blinds.

I'm sure this set is great when it works right, but good luck if you have to deal with the customer service people!