: CBC HD Hockey - Split from Official CBC Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

JesseJ
2007-04-19, 12:31 AM
DD 5.1 from CBC-HD (Flames/Det on Tuesday), Shaw Calgary.

Edit: Just tried it on TSN, and I'm not getting the same problem. I like to eliminate the announcers, makes me feel more like I'm there. But when I get that dipping it just doesn't sound good.

Actually, it may explain why the surrounds seemed so low during the entire game. If it is happening all the time, then the surrounds would constantly be limited/lowered

jumpy27
2007-04-19, 04:33 AM
Mike Emrick has just as good of a voice as Bob Cole, and he actually does his job and commentates a non-biased game.

Gord Miller from TSN is actually very good as well.
I guess we all like different things and this is what makes the world go round. But I just can't stand when Gord Miller says "He scores!" And Don Whitman should stick to the Olympics. The reason he only mostly western games IMHO is he just isn't a very good announcer. He only shows up in the playoffs when CBC needs multiple announcers.

Marc
2007-04-19, 05:56 AM
JesseJ, What station are you listening to: Toronto, Vancouver? If you get more than one, do you hear this effect on any other CBC HD stations?

rpr
2007-04-19, 01:15 PM
This is a response to the VAN-DAL game on Tuesday night:

I watched in on the BC CBC timeshifted channel on Rogers. I recorded all 5 games that night, but ultimately only watched 2 and a half.

flyte
2007-04-19, 03:48 PM
I can't figure out the answer to this, and it's killing me.

In Calgary, will the Canucks vs. Stars game be on the CBC HD channel tonight?
Or will it be showing the Flames vs. Wings game?

ralph_sinclair
2007-04-19, 04:06 PM
cbc-hd only has stations in toronto, montreal, vancouver and ottawa. Your cable/satellite feed in Calgary will come from one of these stations. Since CBC is only showing the Calgary-Detroit game in Alberta and Windsor, I expect all CBC-HD stations will be showing stars-canucks.

flyte
2007-04-19, 04:13 PM
I like your answer, but I don't agree with your logic.

They use a mobile HD truck to do HD broadcasts. If what you said were true,
then there would never be flames broadcasts in HD (on HNIC)

otown47
2007-04-19, 04:53 PM
I went by the Senators TV Control Room at ScotiaBank Place last week and had a good look in. What surprised me was the absence of monitors. Instead, they had a couple of large LCDs on the wall and on these screens were sort of "virtual monitors", the screen was broken up into smaller pictures with text above and below each virtual monitor. So I was wondering if this is how modern day TV control rooms look at big networks such as the CBC. Also, do the CBC HD trucks work this way???

oilblue
2007-04-19, 05:11 PM
I can't figure out the answer to this, and it's killing me.

In Calgary, will the Canucks vs. Stars game be on the CBC HD channel tonight?
Or will it be showing the Flames vs. Wings game?

Hmmm. If it's that serious that it's killing you, try searching the CBC Sports site. (www.cbcsports.ca) Top right of the home page is a "What's On" link, that leads to their Round 1 schedule (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup2007/tvschedule-rd1.html). Scrolling to today's date, we find:
PIT - OTT [g5] HD full net 7 pm
DET - CGY [g4] Alta/Windsor 9:30 pm
DAL - VAN [g5] HD full net 10 pm

(times obviously Eastern)

That sure was tough to find. :p Ambulance call averted? ;)

flyte
2007-04-19, 05:17 PM
..that is what prompted my question! The CBS sports site info confused me. I live in Alberta, but I also get the CBC HD channel.

So what will I see?

2007-04-19, 05:19 PM
Recent posts that were in the Official CBC thread have been moved to this thread for obvious reasons. Any more hockey posts in the CBC thread will be deleted.

roger1818
2007-04-19, 05:24 PM
They use a mobile HD truck to do HD broadcasts. If what you said were true,
then there would never be flames broadcasts in HD (on HNIC)

It is true that they use mobile trucks to cover the games, so the game could be played anywhere in the world, but to see the game in HD it has to be broadcast by a DTV station. Since, as ralph_sinclair said, the CBC currently only has 4 DTV stations capabilities, the only way you can watch the game in HD is if one of those stations broadcasts the game. All 4 of those stations will be broadcasting both the Sens/Pens and Canucks/Stars games, so it is impossible for the Flames/Wings game to be broadcast in HD. On Tuesday the Flames/Wings game was shown in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal's DTV stations (I am not sure which game was on Vancouver's DTV station as CBC likes to put HD games on DTV stations whenever possible) so that is why you could see it in HD.

Nothing has been announced, but it is my guess that Calgary will get the next DTV (required for HD) CBC station, but that will most likely be at least a couple years away.

roger1818
2007-04-19, 05:36 PM
..that is what prompted my question! The CBS sports site info confused me. I live in Alberta, but I also get the CBC HD channel.

So what will I see?

I don't know which CBC DTV station (or HD station as the cable and satellite companies like to inaccurately call them) you get (my guess would be CBUT-DT in Vancouver as it is closest), but since all 4 are showing both the Sens/Pens and Canucks/Stars games, you will see those games on that channel. If the Sens/Pens game goes into overtime, my guess is CBUT-DT will cut to the Canucks/Stars game and the other 3 DTV stations will continue to show the Sens/Pens, but that is just a guess.

Your local (or "SD") CBC station will show the Flames/Wings game.

magnet
2007-04-19, 06:01 PM
Flyte All Shaw Customers outside of Vancouver get their CBC from Toronto.
No Flames in Widescreen / HD tonight.
SO you'll get all the games. Sens & Nucks on HD, Flames on SD

jumpy27
2007-04-19, 06:08 PM
I went by the Senators TV Control Room at ScotiaBank Place last week and had a good look in. What surprised me was the absence of monitors. Instead, they had a couple of large LCDs on the wall and on these screens were sort of "virtual monitors", the screen was broken up into smaller pictures with text above and below each virtual monitor. So I was wondering if this is how modern day TV control rooms look at big networks such as the CBC. Also, do the CBC HD trucks work this way???
NBC's King station in Seattle just went 100% HD and their control room had the same 40-50 inch LCD flat panels with 4 images on each. I would think that they are doing this, instead of having 4 times the monitors, because it makes for much simpler cabling (4x less wires). I would think that the HD trucks are the same, as they are a "mini" control room.

flyte
2007-04-19, 06:11 PM
Flyte All Shaw Customers outside of Vancouver get their CBC from Toronto.
No Flames in Widescreen / HD tonight.
SO you'll get all the games. Sens & Nucks on HD, Flames on SD
thanks.

JesseJ
2007-04-19, 07:23 PM
JesseJ, What station are you listening to: Toronto, Vancouver? If you get more than one, do you hear this effect on any other CBC HD stations?
CBC Toronto from Shaw Cable. I don't have Vancouver to compare it to.

Stoakley Audio
2007-04-19, 07:33 PM

Hey Otown,

Yes, most of the new mobiles on the road employ this technology for a couple of reasons. One is weight. With each montior requiring a place to sit, racks made of steel and brackets and screws and so on, you can see the weight adding up. With a couple of LCD screens, the weight has been substantially reduced. I can't remember what the difference it made in Dome's Trillium - perhaps Zornt can remember.

In control rooms a lot of smaller stations are going the LCD route and front projection systems. For example, the monitor wall at the Rogers Centre is made from a Canadian company called Evertz - http://www.evertz.com. At Leafs / Raptors TV the master production control room uses two front projectors to display their 'virtual' monitor wall.

Finally, the main reason is cost. It's just way cheaper!

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers!

AgentXXL
2007-04-19, 07:50 PM
No Flames in Widescreen / HD tonight.This bothers me... although it's not just a CBC issue. TSN is also carrying games and being another HD source, it would have been nice if they had picked up the Flames in HD. Not that I don't mind seeing the Wild vs. Ducks in HD, but dang, TSN is Canadian so at least cover your Canadian teams!!

Guess I'm going to have to drink more so I can't tell if it's my lack of sobriety or the SD broadcast that makes things look blurry. :)

Jaymeister
2007-04-19, 07:55 PM
Another classic Cole-ism from tonight:

Late in the first period, Ryan Whitney is injured and limps badly off the ice and toward the dressing room. Cole: "He's hobbling a little bit, but it looks like he's getting stronger with each hobble." Time to go back to the rock, Bob.