: Setanta in Canada (General Discussion)

doglips
2009-08-09, 11:58 AM
I'm in Charleswood and lots of problems in second half with the screen freezing for minutes at a time including up to the second Chelsea goal (it's more of an anybody but Man U for me :p ). But no problems seeing the tying goal.

andybenfica
2009-08-10, 08:27 PM
i know this is not related but sportsnet will carry 2 live games per matchday starting next tuesday

Tuesday August 18th
Celtic v Arsenal Sportsnet Ontario & East
FC Timisoara v Stuttgart Sportsnet West & Pacific

Wednesday August 19th
Panathinaikos v Atl Madrid Sportsnet Ontario & East
Levski Sofia v Debreceni Sportsnet West & Pacific

enjoy canadian viewers

Soccer89
2009-08-10, 09:34 PM
good for Sportsnet. Hopefully the group phase will be in HD!

robin100
2009-08-11, 10:46 AM
I believe Celtic v Arsenal is on HD and Setanta also showing 2 games each of Tues and Wed next week. Setanta also showing Norway v Scotland tomorrow 1pm.
Having looked at their schedule for next 2 weeks I believe everything soccer shown last season, including EPL/SPL reviews, is unchanged. Will be interesting this week end because I really liked John Champion and he is doing the Everton v Arsenal game on ESPN so will we hear his voice again this year?

Andrew1
2009-08-15, 02:00 PM
Wow! The season is barely underway and Everton are already stinking up the joint. Thank God I support a different club from that city.:)

NB Josh
2009-08-16, 09:04 AM
It would appear that Setanta gets first choice of matches for the Champions League, so there goes most of the few Man-U games I still get to see. Sportsnet will only air one leg of each semi final, kind of like what ITV does in the UK.

Andrew1
2009-08-16, 12:09 PM
NBJosh,

What makes you say Setanta get first choice? I haven't seen a schedule beyond this month. Judging by this month they get a leg each. Infuriating for people who don't have Setanta. I suppose Rogers have no real motivation to put all the best matches on Sportsnet when they are majority owners of Setanta. They'd rather we pay $15 a month than allow us to watch on Sportsnet.

doglips
2009-08-16, 01:00 PM
Wow! The season is barely underway and Everton are already stinking up the joint. Thank God I support a different club from that city.:)

How do those words taste now, yummy? :p

Andrew1
2009-08-16, 01:12 PM
We wuz robbed doglips! That was a definite penalty.:mad: Tottenham look like a much better side this year. (Or do Liverpool just look worse?) But, hey, you can't compare it to losing 6-1 at home.

NB Josh
2009-08-16, 01:37 PM
NBJosh,

What makes you say Setanta get first choice? I haven't seen a schedule beyond this month. Judging by this month they get a leg each. Infuriating for people who don't have Setanta. I suppose Rogers have no real motivation to put all the best matches on Sportsnet when they are majority owners of Setanta. They'd rather we pay $15 a month than allow us to watch on Sportsnet.
If you go to Sportsnet.ca, then schedules, then downloadable schedules they have a base schedule up for the whole season, minus the matchups of course.

I'm assuming that the only reason Sportsnet gets first choice this week is because Setanta can't show live matches because of their Premier League coverage.

Samsonite
2009-08-17, 06:39 PM
Fifteen dollars is way too much for what Setanta offer. Until they have an HD channel its internet streaming and torrents for my footie fix.

iggy_1923
2009-08-18, 12:41 PM
if they included Setanta in one of the sports packages and charged $15 for the package, i would definitely add it to my programming.

Wayne
2009-08-18, 12:46 PM
Fifteen dollars is way too much for what Setanta offer. Until they have an HD channel its internet streaming and torrents for my footie fix.It depends what you want to watch. I never watch soccer but Setanta is great because I love rugby. Without Setanta my only options to watch rugby is to download the games after the fact on Bittorrent, if I could find them which is not a given. Or pay just as much or more for lower quality online streaming.

Andrew1
2009-08-18, 03:08 PM
I watch live streaming of sports but it's too unreliable. Last week I was able to get the Holland v England match at numerous sites without any difficulty but more often than not it is just too frustrating. Even when I purchase live matches from Videosport* I sometimes have to get up to refresh it. If you want to watch live action $15 a month isn't bad. I would however balk at $25 for a single match a la England v Croatia. (During the Rugby World Cup, I believe it was $25 per match. I watched the matches on Setanta next day, as I never knew the results anyway, but come the day of the final I thought I'd splurge and order it. Guess what? For the final they jacked it up to something like $35 so I didn't bother).

* http://www.videosport.com/qualifiers2010/index_11_gb_CA.html?&session=

DT1
2009-08-25, 10:03 PM
would it really cost Setanta that much more money to broadcast in HD?

Last year I could kind of understand that they were trying to survive in the UK and the last thing on their minds was to care about HD. But now all they essentially are doing is transmitting the feeds they get from Sky or ESPN, who apparently broadcast all games apart from the Saturday 3pm game in HD.

The Score broadcasts the game in HD, Fox Soccer Channel in the states is planning to go HD in January, ESPN in the states is broadcasting the Saturday 3pm game in wide screen and the Monday game in HD.

Does Setanta really think that people are going to continue to pay them $15/month for SD when all the other (basic cable/ or cheaper) options are going HD?

Torontoblue
2009-08-25, 10:08 PM
would it really cost Setanta that much more money to broadcast in HD?

Last year I could kind of understand that they were trying to survive in the UK and the last thing on their minds was to care about HD. But now all they essentially are doing is transmitting the feeds they get from Sky or ESPN, who apparently broadcast all games apart from the Saturday 3pm game in HD.

The Score broadcasts the game in HD, Fox Soccer Channel in the states is planning to go HD in January, ESPN in the states is broadcasting the Saturday 3pm game in wide screen and the Monday game in HD.

Does Setanta really think that people are going to continue to pay them $15/month for SD when all the other (basic cable/ or cheaper) options are going HD?
Maybe their network isn't set up for HD? Or they just want to make as much money as possible? Why not email them and ask? I'm sure they could give a better response than we can.

Wayne
2009-08-25, 10:18 PM
One question is - who pays to get the feed from Europe (or Australia or New Zealand or South Africa) to North America? If it is Setanta then don't forget that HD generally much more bandwidth than SD (I believe it is 6X), at least when it comes to MPEG-2. That means that it could be much more costly for Setanta to provide an HD channel. A similar question when it comes to cable/sat providers - bandwidth real estate has a value and if they are using up much more bandwidth then do they have to give more of a cut of the $15 to Rogers, Bell, etc?

scouser
2009-08-26, 07:41 AM
From what I understand all the games that Setanta originally showed were all produced by Sky Sports. This includes all the international feeds. Setanta uses Satellite Galaxy 19 (limited transponder bandwith) for their Setanta and Setanta Premium channels available in N.A. Unless they use fiber feeds from Europe I doubt they will be HD. Converting to MPEG -4 satellite signals would mean upgrading hardware for their Premium customers (all Celtic and Rangers clubs etc.).

Wayne
2009-08-26, 09:17 AM
From what I understand all the games that Setanta originally showed were all produced by Sky Sports.That includes your definition of "all". Don't forget that Setanta is not exclusively an EPL and SPL channel. The Currie Cup rugby games being broadcast at this time of year are not from Sky Sports, nor are the Air New Zealand rugby matches. Are the Le Championnat from Sky Sports? What about the Russian Premier League?

scouser
2009-08-26, 10:43 AM
Wayne, my apologies. I was just refering to the British football. The other sports are shown also on SKY thru Murdoch's other outlets eg. FOX.