: Setanta in Canada (General Discussion)

slknowles
2008-08-26, 01:57 PM
Works fine for me here:

http://www.setantaca.com/en/CAN/Our-Schedules/
The current week (25 - 31 August) is displaying the schedule just fine.

I am talking about next week (1 - 7 September), which only says "GENERAL - Please check back for updates" for each day. Are you saying that you are seeing content for those September dates?

DBoutic617
2008-08-26, 11:40 PM
I just had a look at the Setanta Canada schedule site, and boy, things have changed as of Monday, September 1. Here's Monday's schedule:

12:00 am MUTV - Arsenal vs. Man Utd (1st Air)
02:00 am MUTV - Premier League Highlights: Portsmouth vs. Man Utd
02:30 am MUTV - '68 Remembered
02:45 am Classic Premier League - Man Utd. v Chelsea 9/23/2000
04:30 am Classic Premier League - West Ham vs. Man Utd.
06:15 am Classic Premier League - Liverpool vs. Blackburn 5/14/1995
08:00 am LIVE News - Setanta Sports News
09:00 am Coca-Cola Championship - Watford vs. Ipswich Town
11:00 am Setanta Challenge Cup - Hull vs. St. Helens
01:00 pm Chelsea TV - Chelsea vs. Tottenham
03:00 pm Chelsea TV - TBC (1st Air)
04:00 pm Chelsea TV - TBC (1st Air)
05:00 pm LIVE News - Setanta Sports News
06:00 pm Soccer - Football Matters
07:30 pm Tri Nations - South Africa vs. Australia
09:15 pm MLS - Chivas USA vs. Toronto FC (1st Air)
11:00 pm LIVE News - Setanta Sports News

A lot more on the sked, plus the inclusion of Setanta Sports News, means it looks like a fully-realized Setanta is just around the corner...
(Only a few events mentioned for Tuesday September 2, and the rest of the week is still a blank, FYI)

slknowles
2008-08-26, 11:46 PM
They have started to post the new schedule as of this afternoon (Tuesday, 26 August).

Setanta Customer Service (in an email to me) said "We just got the updates today and we are in the process of adding them to the website."

SportsFan
2008-08-28, 07:02 PM
They haven't updated anything past Tuesday 3:30 am, but we can see the first Canadian content on the channel: A rerun of Sportsnet's broadcast of Chivas USA vs. Toronto FC from Aug. 30.

Steele-in-HD
2008-08-29, 11:44 AM
The current week (25 - 31 August) is displaying the schedule just fine.

I am talking about next week (1 - 7 September), which only says "GENERAL - Please check back for updates" for each day. Are you saying that you are seeing content for those September dates?

I can only see this week also.

PFD
2008-09-01, 12:51 PM
I notice that Setanta Canada isn't carrying the England vs. Andorra game this weekend as advertised during the Premiership games. Here we get Portugal vs Malta instead.

slknowles
2008-09-01, 01:00 PM
The Andorra v England match is available (at least on Cogeco) on PPV. Although I can't imagine paying $25+ for that privilege!

PFD
2008-09-01, 01:16 PM
Yeah I saw the ad for it on PPV yesterday which is why I checked Setanta's schedule, cause we were talking a few months ago about how this season Setanta was going to be showing England qualification games live. But I guess that's only in the UK.:(

jgvp
2008-09-01, 02:13 PM
TorontoBlue:
@ jgvp - I suggest your friends need their eyes testing if they think a regular Setanta broadcast is actually as good as HD. A regular Setanta broadcast is no better than your average everyday Sportsnet SD signal.

I should have mentioned the fact that my 2008 Pioneer Kuro Plasma actually upconverts the resolution to 1080i, which can be ascertained by pressing a single button on the remote. My wife also affirms the picture is as good as Hi-Definition, now what was that about people needing their eyesight tested ?

SportsFan
2008-09-01, 02:53 PM
Yeah I saw the ad for it on PPV yesterday which is why I checked Setanta's schedule, cause we were talking a few months ago about how this season Setanta was going to be showing England qualification games live. But I guess that's only in the UK.:(
I think it was just the England home games that might be on Setanta. The competitive ones will still probably be PPV though.

Clynnog
2008-09-02, 09:16 AM
I notice that Setanta Canada isn't carrying the England vs. Andorra game this weekend as advertised during the Premiership games. Here we get Portugal vs Malta instead.
I believe that the England games versus Andorra and Croatia are going to be shown a day or two later....I believe that the Croatia game will be shown on the Friday evening at 19h30 EST.....

If you check out this web site you can get a great idea of what is on when:

http://frasm.sasktelwebsite.net/footie.html

Please note that all times are EST.

Torontoblue
2008-09-04, 06:01 PM
TorontoBlue:

I should have mentioned the fact that my 2008 Pioneer Kuro Plasma actually upconverts the resolution to 1080i, which can be ascertained by pressing a single button on the remote. My wife also affirms the picture is as good as Hi-Definition, now what was that about people needing their eyesight tested ?
Well, if you'd mentioned that in the first place. I guess your Pioneer does a far better job of up-converting a standard 480i signal to 1080i than my lowly Rogers HDPVR and 1080p Philips LCD then!!!!

I'm sorry, but Setanta on Rogers will never ever ever look like a HD signal as the initial signal is poor and no amout of up-converting will make it any clearer. You're just kidding yourself, unless of course you work for Setanta ;-)

On a side note, has anyone noticed how much of the screen Setanta cut off when showing their Setants Sports News prog? There's so much cut from the sides it makes reading the news snippets difficult.

Wayne
2008-09-04, 10:11 PM
On a side note, has anyone noticed how much of the screen Setanta cut off when showing their Setants Sports News prog? There's so much cut from the sides it makes reading the news snippets difficult.Are you sure that you aren't using a zoom mode of some sort or converting a 4:3 picture to 16:9 on your TV as this can sometimes cause issues like that.

Torontoblue
2008-09-05, 06:53 AM
Are you sure that you aren't using a zoom mode of some sort or converting a 4:3 picture to 16:9 on your TV as this can sometimes cause issues like that.
Nope, never use the zoom modes on either the TV or the HDPVR. The picture is at it's usual 4:3. It just looks like either Setanata have soomed the picture too much or just plain cropped the picture at the sides.

herbkell
2008-09-06, 10:49 AM
i am having the same problem with the cropped News program it's very frustrating

jgvp
2008-09-06, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry, but Setanta on Rogers will never ever ever look like a HD signal as the initial signal is poor and no amout of up-converting will make it any clearer. You're just kidding yourself, unless of course you work for Setanta ;-)

Well then, my wife and I, according to you, must be deluding ourselves to say nothing of all our friends being incapable of discernment. The Kuro, as a matter of fact, does a better job than my 5.5 year old Sony LCD HDTV, but I still wouldn't accuse the original signal of being of poor quality, judging by the upconverted results on both HD TVs. I have no complaints about the PQ of Setanta whatsoever.

If you had taken the time to read my previous postings on Setanta you wouldn't have resorted to calling me a supporter of Setanta, let alone being employed by them. :rolleyes:

robin100
2008-09-07, 03:34 PM
Agreed, Setanta's own picture quality as good as any sd. Some loss of quality occurs when they show someone else's transmission e.g. Sky, BBC etc and the loss can vary from very little to significant. No pattern at all.
Robin

jgvp
2008-09-09, 04:03 PM
"Sports broadcaster Setanta has been accused of holding terrestrial TV to ransom in a row over the highlights to England games. The company, only available to subscribers, bought up the rights to all England's World Cup qualifying away games.

But it has sparked fury after refusing to do a deal for a highlights package on free-to-air channel, like the BBC, unless it gets a bumper pay deal.

England's game against Andorra at the weekend did not get a terrestrial window after no deal was done. Now tomorrow's crunch game in Croatia is almost certain to go the same way with Setanta said to have slapped a 1million price tag on the game."

nfitz
2008-09-09, 07:14 PM
I guess that's what happens when you let foreign companies take control of what should be a national holding. They have no interest, etc., in doing what is expected and right.

At least they have the option of purchasing the channel to watch the game. Here Sentanta didn't air it on the $$ channel until 2 days later, and the charge was an outlandish $25 just to watch the single game on the day it happened!

jgvp
2008-09-10, 02:36 AM
I never did get to view the Andorra v England game. I checked all over Setanta's TV PG and came up with nothing. Setanta gave me the impression at the start of the season that since they had bought the rights to all England away games those games would be made available (LIVE) to their subscribers. They're starting to live up to the suspicions I had about them when they first arrived on the scene. Incidentally, nfitz, here's the UK's Daily Mail web site for further commentary on the subject:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1054094/Shameful-How-ITV-Beeb-abandoned-England.html