: Setanta in Canada (General Discussion)

nfitz
2007-07-27, 02:04 PM
I don't mind paying 15$ for football as well....but what other games will setanta carry besides EPL?Given how much better soccer looks in HD, it might, barely, be worth it if HD. But if it's another crappy SD picture ... then there's no way. Though why any sports channel would launch as SD-only in this day and age is beyond me.

thefly
2007-07-27, 03:49 PM
Wrote Setanta this morning about when they are launching and who will be carrying them. Below is their reply:

"We are offering a PPV Sports Pack on Rogers, Bell and Cogeco starting August 11th.

Shaw have been informed and offered the same terms etc but have not come back to us. Frankly it might be 6 months before they take us or then may change with pressure. Funny lot shaw."

Since I'm on Shaw it looks like I may be without except for the once a week game on the Score (and we don't get Score HD either)...

Got a further response on whether HD or SD:

"SD 95% of the product is not made for HD as Europe is not far down that road Only 100,000 homes in England even have any HD for example out of a universe of 10 million."

irons81
2007-07-27, 04:53 PM
Wrote Setanta this morning about when they are launching and who will be carrying them. Below is their reply:

"We are offering a PPV Sports Pack on Rogers, Bell and Cogeco starting August 11th.

Shaw have been informed and offered the same terms etc but have not come back to us. Frankly it might be 6 months before they take us or then may change with pressure. Funny lot shaw."

Since I'm on Shaw it looks like I may be without except for the once a week game on the Score (and we don't get Score HD either)...

"SD 95% of the product is not made for HD as Europe is not far down that road Only 100,000 homes in England even have any HD for example out of a universe of 10 million."
That's interesting considering that ALL the football/soccer games produced by Sky are in HD

footyspecial
2007-07-27, 06:51 PM

So what's the scoop.

We are getting a Setanta Channel for $14.95 a month or we are getting PPV sportspack?

Or are they one and the same?

jgvp
2007-07-27, 11:04 PM
If I have to pay $15/mo to watch what I have viewed for free all these years,

What's wrong with me ? I never received anything free from BEV. I was paying all along for the Soccer on TSN Channels and Fox Sports Network. Does anyone know the story behind how this turn of events came about ? Why for instance last season both TSN and FOX offered us just about all the English FA games and more, and then along comes this Spanish outfit that wants to be paid exclusively for just those same games ? I wouldn't mind but we have seen this happen a lot in the last 30 years. A real roller coaster ride.

joselacruz
2007-07-28, 12:33 AM
Setanta is an Irish based company and last year already shared the US EPL rights with Fox Soccer Channel. Last year Rogers Sportsnet (not TSN) and FSWC had the matches in Canada but certain 10am matches (notably the 1st choice match) was not available along with any early Sunday matches (8am). Any one who has Setanta USA knows it is the best soccer channel in North America. Most people on this forum are not upset at the price, just if there cable provider will carry it. I am not writing this post with no knowledge, as a former soccer pub owner, last year with Setanta USA in the pub was one of our best English footie years, extra EPL, Champions league, Carling Cup etc etc all a pub owner could have asked.

jgvp
2007-07-28, 02:40 AM
Thanks, Joselacruz, for that. Setanta, an Irish based company ? Now there's one for the book. :rolleyes: I don't mind the price either, it's just that our EPL seems to get hijacked by every Tom, Dick and now Paddy who wants a part of the action. Considering the state of TV programming these days, what with all the "contests", etc., the redeeming programs are the soccer games each weekend throughout the season ..... and then the officials have to go and ruin even that ! ;)

kingb71
2007-07-28, 12:14 PM
I want to know exactly what we get with Setanta. Will we get what the Pubs get, meaning the Euro2008 qualifiers as well as the Carling Cup & FA cup games?

PlayitSimple
2007-07-28, 01:58 PM
So what's the scoop.

We are getting a Setanta Channel for $14.95 a month or we are getting PPV sportspack?

Or are they one and the same?

I think your question was answered in the post you quoted-

We are offering a PPV Sports Pack on Rogers, Bell and Cogeco starting August 11th.

A PPV package now until the digital channel they have applied for is approved, then once it is you will be subscribing to their channel, like GolTV except of course for the higher price.

kingb71,

Here is what you programming you will be receiving from Setanta Sports, this is taken from Wikipedia:

Soccer

* FA Premier League. 3 Games on Saturdays, 1 on Monday and additional mid-week matches for next 3 seasons (2007-2010). **This info is not yet official**
* Live Carling Cup football.
* Shared live rights with ESPN/TSN of the UEFA Champions League. (Setanta also has some games delayed, when other US Networks have first-run rights)
* Shared live rights with FOX Soccer Channel of the UEFA Cup.
* Live Coca-Cola Championship, League One and League Two matches, including play-offs.
* Live Euro 2008 qualifiers.
* Live Exclusive coverage of Dutch Eredivisie football.
* Live French Ligue 1 football.
* Live Exclusive coverage of Scottish FA Cup football.
* Live Asian Cup football.
* Live international football, including friendlies

Rugby Union and Rugby League (both codes of Rugby)

* Live Rugby World Cup.
* Live Guinness Premiership, rugby union club competition of England.
* Live Magners League, rugby union clubs of Ireland,Scotland, & Wales.
* Live Heineken Cup, rugby union club cup competition for 6 top European nations.
* Live Super League, rugby league clubs of England & France.
* Live Super 14, rugby union clubs of Australia, New Zealand, & South Africa.
* Live NRL, rugby league clubs of Australia & New Zealand.
* Live IRB U-19 World Cup.
* Live Currie Cup, rugby union club cup competition for South Africa.

Other Events

* Live Australian Rules Football
* Selected live Gaelic Athletic Association events; delayed GAA Championship matches

Keep in mind this info was specific to last season and Setanta Sports USA, so some things may change and the EPL programming is different as Setanta Sports Canada will show more than what they get in the US, except for one game that The Score will be showing on Sundays.

Here is the official site for Setanta North America, I am assuming that Setanta Sports Canada will have its own site since it is a Canadian digital channel but will find out when it launches.

http://na.setanta.com

PlayitSimple
2007-07-28, 02:09 PM
On another note,

Why does Setanta show some games ONLY at the pubs, when they have this channel that they are charging people 15 bucks a month for?! I think now that this channel will be available in Canada finally, people should complain and force them to show ALL the progamming they air on the pub channel, on the subscription channel as well!

I am referring specifically to Euro and World Cup qualifiers that air LIVE only on the pub channel then 2 or 3 days later on the subscription channel. Do they make more money off pubs then subscriptions to their TV channel?!

kingb71
2007-07-28, 05:07 PM
does this mean each game will be available on a PPV basis??

PlayitSimple
2007-07-28, 09:13 PM
No I think it will be more like NFL Sunday Ticket or NHL Centre Ice packages. I am just guessing here as Setanta has not revealed anything specific yet, but they may charge monthly for it as the channel they have applied for should be approved by October/November. So by then they will then offer the regular TV channel on subscription as opposed to this PPV thing.

Its all speculation at this point, we have to wait and see what the service will look like. August is right around the corner so Setanta or Rogers should be issuing a press release very soon or at least they better before they launch.

kpa1973
2007-07-29, 06:43 PM
Does anyone know if Videotron will carry Setanta ?. When ?
If not, can we get Bell Expressvu in Montreal (south shore) ?. I'll have to switch to Bell if it is the only way to get EPL here.

Must have EPL, Must have EPL, (repeat ad nausium !).

skeena1
2007-07-29, 07:23 PM
And quietly (more or less) Rogers Sportsnet has applied for a national channel that will carry "90% soccer, rugby and cricket." Wondering if that could be Setanta's fallback (regarding any rights they own) should they not get approved.

Bytown
2007-07-29, 08:15 PM
Kpa1973
Thescore will be showing one epl game each saturday.

kingb71
2007-07-29, 08:44 PM
Make that Sunday, not Saturday.

SportsFan
2007-07-29, 11:06 PM
And quietly (more or less) Rogers Sportsnet has applied for a national channel that will carry "90% soccer, rugby and cricket." Wondering if that could be Setanta's fallback (regarding any rights they own) should they not get approved.
It looks like the channel Rogers applied for will become Setanta Sports. Setanta hasn't made an application of its own to the CRTC, and it needs a Canadian partner. Rogers could be that partner and it would guarantee Setanta will get carried on Rogers cable.

stevieb
2007-07-29, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know any good soccer pubs in Oakville/Mississauga area to watch EPL. I have Starchoice so I think I will wait for Setanta and watch the games at the pubs

thefly
2007-07-30, 03:48 PM
Article today in Vancouver Province states that Shaw will not be carrying but deal may be reached in 6-8 months (read next season). Until then will only be available on Rogers and Bell at $14.99/month.

Article states that Shaw [I]may[I] carry some games in PPV prior to reaching a deal with Sentanta.

skeena1
2007-07-31, 03:17 AM
New channel goes big on Premier League
WILLIAM HOUSTON

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

E-mail William Houston | Read Bio | Latest Columns
July 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM EDT

A new soccer channel with extensive rights to live English Premier League games is set to begin operation in Canada in a matter of days.

Setanta Sports, an international content provider, will launch a Canadian channel in partnership with Rogers Communications.

Roger Hall, chief executive officer of Setanta's international operation, confirmed Monday that the channel will start in “the very short term.”

Shane O'Rourke, president of Setanta's North American operations, was even more explicit. He said it will be on the air in time for the start of the EPL season on Aug. 11.

“We'll be up and running by the 11th,” he said.

Neither Hall nor O'Rourke would comment on the licensing agreement, but based on Setanta's operations in Britain, Australia and the United States, the Canadian channel will operate as a premium pay service. To subscribe, consumers will pay about $15 a month.

Score Media acquired EPL rights last year. It then flipped the package to Setanta but kept the Sunday 11 a.m. (Eastern) game, which often showcases the best matchup of the week.

The Score has built additional programming around the Sunday morning telecast, including a Friday evening show that will preview the weekend games, a Saturday evening recap of the day's games, and a Sunday morning pregame show.

As well, the Score has retained broadband highlights rights and will stream its Sunday morning telecast.

The third carrier of EPL games will be Rogers Sportsnet. It has bought a Saturday 10 a.m. game from Setanta, but probably won't get first pick from the 10 a.m. slate of matchups.

It didn't hurt Sportsnet in its bid to acquire one game a week that it is owned by Setanta's partner, Rogers.

The bulk of EPL content – a full Saturday schedule, additional telecasts on Sunday and midweek telecasts – will air on Setanta.

O'Rourke says Setanta will provide the most comprehensive EPL Canadian package ever.

Rogers Cable, Cogeco Cable and Bell ExpressVu will carry the channel immediately. Carriage on Shaw Cable, Star Choice and Videotron is expected to take longer.