: CBC-HD Official Thread (No Hockey)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49

Marc
2010-11-27, 03:54 PM
Never mind, CBCHW is what Bell calls CBUT-DT Vancouver in their electronic guide.:rolleyes:

roger1818
2010-11-29, 11:40 AM
Never mind, CBCHW is what Bell calls CBUT-DT Vancouver in their electronic guide.:rolleyes:

Why on earth do BDUs feel the need to rename stations? What is wrong with using the proper call signs? If they must change it, why not use CBUT-HD?

hugh
2010-11-29, 11:50 AM
These days Call signs mean little to consumers. CBCHW means CBC in HD in Western Canada. Much more meaningful to 95% of the population than CBUT-DT.

But please this thread is about CBC so lets not discuss BDU naming convention on this thread.

2010-12-02, 12:38 AM
So, what happened with Rick Mercer on Tuesday on CBC-"HD"?

- 4:3
- 16:9 windowboxed
- 16:9 zoomed
- audio issues
- audio not DD5.1
- no logo, occasional logo, large logo partially offscreen when zoomed.

Quite the mess...

roger1818
2010-12-02, 10:56 AM
The affiliates don't have the money/equipment to properly switch between DD2.0 and DD5.1 on the applicable programming

Could they have two audio streams (one 2 channel stream and one 5.1 channel stream) and let the consumer decide which one to use?

roger1818
2010-12-02, 11:05 AM
Marc,

After the upgrade in August 2011, will you improve the way you handle programming in different aspect ratios? If so, how will you handle it? Will you use the AFD flag or switch the ATSC mode to match the resolution/aspect ratio of the original programming?

The current situation isn't a problem on a WS TV (HD or otherwise), but is a big annoyance on 4:3 TVs.

Marc
2010-12-02, 12:07 PM
roger1818,

All the CBC English TV high-definition TV stations have two audio options. The primary audio can be 5.1 or 2.0 but it is always encoded as 5.1, for now. The secondary audio is used for described video. When the program includes DV, you will hear a narration. If the program does NOT have DV should hear stereo program sound is encoded as 2.0.That is your only option at this time. Don't ask me how to activate DV. Each TV manufacturer and BDU seem to do their own thing. There is no standardization.

2010-12-02, 12:13 PM
On Rogers Ontario, DV is activated in the "Settings" menu under the audio options of the STB. It can be enabled or disabled. (That's where it is on the 8300)

Just as an FYI, a little while ago, CTVHD Vancouver's DV signal was recently sent by Rogers in error for the main channel audio - this situation existed for several weeks. It was DD1.0 (center channel only). After I sent several e-mails to Rogers engineering and CTV Vancouver engineering, Rogers corrected the error (they were grabbing the incorrect (DV) feed for their main audio signal instead of the DD5.1 signal)

Marc
2010-12-03, 10:43 AM
AFD may be implemented. It is being discussed.

roger1818
2010-12-03, 10:52 AM
I am curious what the reasons for not implementing AFD? Would something else be done instead? Not only would it be useful for OTA viewers, but BDUs could use it when down-converting to SD since broadcasters will presumably no longer be providing them with an SD stream (I seem to remember you previously saying that was the case).

Marc
2010-12-03, 10:53 AM
So, what happened with Rick Mercer on Tuesday on CBC-"HD"?

The HD version of the program was not available due to a problem with the scheduling system where some data was either missing or incorrect. The SD version was substituted at the last minute. The different aspect ratios you saw were the result of the operator trying to select select the correct upconversion mode on the fly.

Marc
2010-12-03, 10:56 AM
I am curious what the reasons for not implementing AFD?
An option being cosidered is just sticking with one aspect ratio like SRC does.

roger1818
2010-12-03, 11:07 AM
So you would no longer show any programming filmed in 4:3?

Marc
2010-12-03, 11:18 AM
There is up conversion with side panels added...or zoom and crop.

I don't have the fine details. I'm not at the meetings due to a serious injury which has me in recovery mode at home. I just learn what I can via email and phone calls.

JamesK
2010-12-03, 01:01 PM
So you would no longer show any programming filmed in 4:3?

I don't mind watching shows that were originally in 4:3. However, even they can benefit from HD as film is capable of better resolution than SD and even HD video. When you watch SD you lose picture quality and often wide screen images. About the only exception would be shows that were originally video taped in 4:3 NTSC, where there's nothing to lose by watching SD.

roger1818
2010-12-03, 01:19 PM
There is up conversion with side panels added...or zoom and crop.

Agreed. But the purpose of AFT is to tell the receiver the aspect ration of the original program or if it has been protected for a different aspect ratio. Assuming all programs are broadcast in 16:9 the following cases are possible:

The program is in 16:9 and should be letter boxed on a 4:3 TV.
The program was filmed in 4:3 and has been piller boxed. It should definitely be centre cut (crop) for 4:3 TVs to avoid windowboxing (black bars on all edges).
The program is in 16:9 but has been protected for 4:3 so on 4:3 TVs, the program can be centre cut (cropped) if desired (viewer's choice).
The program was filmed in 16:9 but was protected for 14:9 so on 4:3 TVs, the program can be partially centre cut if desired (rare in North America but common with British programs).

I don't have the fine details. I'm not at the meetings due to a serious injury which has me in recovery mode at home.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Marc
2010-12-03, 01:28 PM
Come August 2011, English TV distribution facilities will be HD. Remaining SD destinations will fed down conversions of the HD signal. AFD would be used to control the down converters. That is the only discussions I'm aware of concerning AFD.

roger1818
2010-12-03, 01:31 PM
I don't mind watching shows that were originally in 4:3. However, even they can benefit from HD as film is capable of better resolution than SD and even HD video.

That assumes the program has been re-mastered from the original film. While it is possible, I am not sure how commonly it is done.

When you watch SD you lose picture quality and often wide screen images.

First of all don't confuse aspect ratio and resolution. While rare, there are SDTVs with a 16:9 aspect ratio (typically projectors) and HDTVs with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Secondly, the whole point of AFD is to prevent the loss of wide screen images on a 4:3 TV by giving the tuner/content provider enough information to decide whether to letter box or centre cut the image.

About the only exception would be shows that were originally video taped in 4:3 NTSC, where there's nothing to lose by watching SD.

Unless the broadcaster doesn't use AFD, then the show will be window boxed (black bars on all 4 sides) once the broadcaster no longer provides a feed in 4:3.

roger1818
2010-12-03, 01:37 PM
Come August 2011, English TV distribution facilities will be HD. Remaining SD destinations will fed down conversions of the HD signal. AFD would be used to control the down converters. That is the only discussions I'm aware of concerning AFD.

Thanks. Nice to know. Do you know if BDUs get this down converted feed, or will they get the AFD info to do their own down conversion? Also, will the AFD info be sent OTA for viewers to use?

Marc
2010-12-03, 01:46 PM
Right now,we discourage BDUs from downconverting as it does not work unless the aspect ratio is consistent . That could change with AFD.

The focus so far has been a cost effective transition from SD to HD. I suspect AFD to the home is not a top priority.