: CBC-HD Official Thread (No Hockey)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

VBC1
2007-04-28, 01:35 AM
Does anyone know if there was "Nature of things with David Suzuki" last sunday on CBC?
When I checked the HD schedule, there was nothing in HD that week, so I did not bother switching channel, but when I accidently opened cbc.ca on sunday, I noticed there is a David Suzuki on the page ('tonight'). There was nothing indicating that it will be HD or WS. I kept checking on CBC-HD, but there was ice-hockey on at that timeslot, so I switched to something else as I dont watch it. I kept checking, and nothing.
When I switched to check again I only caught 1 second of David Suzuki finishing (credits) and it was i guess in HD or WS, not sure (can't remember, but that was either at 20.59h or 21.59h, not sure)
I hate that I missed it, although I am sure it was not possibly shown from start, maybe just the second half of the show was broadcast?
I just checked the David Suzuki page again, and the schedule is still dated for 2006 and nothing in any CBC schedule (HD nor WS).

[CBUT-DT OTA]

2007-04-28, 10:24 AM
There may have been, but due to the hockey, the (Rogers) IPG has not been correct. For example, last night there was a WS comedy programme on instead of the Hockey listed in the IPG at 8PM.

If there was a Nature of Things, it was likely a rerun. I've got it sitting in my "record anytime" schedule, but if it doesnt' appear in the IPG it doesn't record. There was a programme on a few weeks back, but it was a rerun.

VBC1
2007-05-02, 12:17 AM
Thanks 57.

This Sunday, there was Nature of Things on again. It was in WS but there was no note about the format anywhere at all. I checked all various aspects of cbc.ca schedules and pages.
It was a rerun, but for me it is always a pleasure to watch this show, aspecially since I never knew about it or ever watched it (rarely ever watched cbc) before I got the CBC-HD signal.

VBC1
2007-05-16, 04:08 AM
Last night I noticed again the picture was zoomed to fill the 16:9 screen.
It was some french movie when I tuned in at around 03.00h, and since it was translated, the second line of subtitles was chopped off. I have seen this zoom-in more than a few times, but it is only when a programme has subtitles that you can clearly notice the problem. [cbut-dt ota]

Does anyone know how soon can we expect to see football in HD on CBC?
I know they announced it was going to be at 2010 FIFA, but I also saw the "under 21" will be hosted this year in Canada, any chance that will be in HD? I just cant wait to see it.

2007-05-16, 10:08 AM
That's odd. I tuned in at about 1:30AM (EDT) and that particular movie was fine - 2.35:1 aspect, with appropriate subtitles - perhaps it got changed part way through, as is often the case - seen quite a few times before. The sound was, however, improperly encoded DD5.1 (sound out the LF & RF only).

This happens a lot in these early morning movies, some of which interest me.

Marc
2007-05-16, 10:28 AM
I screened the full length of the movie on the CBUT-DT CRTC tape. The aspect ratio was fine. Both lines of subtitles were visible.

As for the audio, as mentioned in an earlier post, we leave it on 5.1 unless the program is identified as having Prologic encoding.

VBC1
2007-05-16, 07:19 PM
I actualy had captured a screen but did not manage to post yesterday, sorry.
The screenshot was captured on 15-05-2007 at 03.33h on cbut-dt ota:
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7461/cbutdtmay15001aji0.jpg
The screen was not fully filled, just a tiny black strip around video, but second subtitle line was surely cropped of.

I also tuned in last night and there was another foreign movie. Subtitles were fully visible and everything was ok. It was just interesting as I did not see this kind of picture filling before - video was a bit wider than 4:3 screen while not covering the full screen (making black bars all around the image)
Snapshot taken last night, 16-05-2007 at 02.10h cbut-dt ota:
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8414/badeducationmay161tn4.jpg

I dont claim this was the format for full movie length as i did not watch either movie, i simply flip always channels on my 'cube' tv, and when i notice a letterboxed image on CBC, then i tune in to cbut-dt to check it out.

Marc
2007-05-16, 08:40 PM
There is some mix up with the dates. The film I screened today was the one where they are not cut off, the French film with the yellow text. I will take another look.

Marc
2007-05-17, 09:00 AM
I see what you mean VC1. The tape was tagged as 16:9, which triggers a zoom type upconvert, which doesn't work with subtitles in the black. The designation has been corrected. Thanks for the heads up.

Kro
2007-05-17, 10:58 AM
Any new's has of when CBC and SRC Montreal will move there antennas on the Mont-Royal? I know there's technicals problem to do so but I wonder what's the status.

Marc
2007-05-17, 11:04 AM
No news. I wouldn't expect it to move this year.

VBC1
2007-05-20, 06:21 AM
This week, there was again HD content not indicated on schedules.
The other day at 20.00 h, there was Planet Earth in HD, but there is nothing on the HD-pdf schedule about it.
Also, tonight there was 'the legend of bager vance' movie in HD, and there is another movie in WS just started now - nothing indicated anywhere.
The thing is, 'legend of bager vance' is the first movie I ever saw in HD, as it first aired last year, just when I got my HD tuner, and I was very impressed and remembered it well. Even then it also aired on a weekend at midnight and there was no indication anywhere. Therefore, knowing it is in HD, this time I went to check schedule on cbc.ca and this movie's cbc web page, but all it saids is: 'closed captioned'. Same for the tomorrow's show (at 21.00 h) I saw a promo for (with small fonts saying 'HD'), nothing anywhere on CBC.ca, nor the pdf sheet.

With so little HD movies on CBC, I don't understand why they don't atleast annouce it (tonight's movie) as 'This week's CBC HD movie presentation' or something like that.

VBC1
2007-05-30, 06:46 PM
Just noticed there is a new CBC HD watermark in use. It looks very refreshing and more stylish (it's a little similar to SRC-HD) and I like it.
Well done!

shabbs
2007-05-30, 07:39 PM
I agree - very nice watermark now. It's there but not in your face. Well done.

2007-05-31, 08:44 AM
The HD letters looked pretty big to me. If they could shrink the HD letters a bit that would be nice, they way they have it it's as if HD just came out yesterday and CBC was the first network to broadcast it.

shabbs
2007-05-31, 08:54 AM
The watermark they used for the hockey game was very different than the one with the huge HD letters I saw later in the night - yikes. I much prefer the one they used during the Sens-Ducks Game 2.

2007-05-31, 09:49 AM
I agree. The big HD looks like it doesn't belong... (I didn't see the other logo)

roger1818
2007-05-31, 11:47 AM
There are three different ways people like to watch foreign films (I am not going to debate which is best as it is subjective and each person has reasons for liking what he/she likes):

Dubbed to English,
In original language with subtitles, and
In original language without subtitles.

The CBC seems to pick option 2 and other broadcasters will sometimes pick option 1. One way to keep everyone happy would be to use option 1 in the primary audio track and have the original language in the second audio track and subtitles in the closed caption data.

This way, viewers with older TVs or who are technically illiterate have a watchable program by default. Those with newer TVs could switch to the original language and turn the subtitles on if they want. To inform people that this is possible, a banner could be displayed at the beginning of the program and after each commercial break stating that the original language can be found in the second audio track and the subtitles can be found in the CC data. This would also solve the problem of the subtitles appearing in the margin of the broadcast.

This would require the CBC to obtain 2 language tracks for the movie, but this shouldn't be that difficult to do.

nfitz
2007-05-31, 12:10 PM
Ouch - that's the most horrible bug I've ever seen on an HD channel. It's way too big, and why on earth wouldn't they make it translucent?

Bruno Landry
2007-05-31, 03:15 PM
CBCHD Montréal (CBMT-DT) didn't have the new logo and watermark.