: ON - City of Toronto Metro Area <OUTDOOR Antennas Only> - OTA

stampeder
2008-09-26, 02:49 PM
So people are really getting better reception with a CM4221 instead of the clones?There are cases in which any similar antenna will get the same stations satisfactorily, so what I tell people is that there are products on the marketplace that are well known and predictable, and they don't cost much more. For the consumer's peace of mind, buy antennas shown in the Antenna Chart and you will get a trusted product that performs excellently for its given range based on years of testing and experience.

If you are satisfied with your present reception, keep things the way they are - no need to change. :)

Werckmeister
2008-09-28, 12:00 AM
Thanks very much all! I will definitely get the original CM 4221. I've never installed an antenna in my life though - what kind of accessories do I need? What is a ground box for example? If anyone can direct me to a guide about what one needs to install this I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cyclism
2008-09-28, 12:03 AM
Werckmeister:

The following thread should be of interest to you.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62265

stampeder
2008-09-28, 02:29 PM
Also Werckmeister if you just go to the main OTA Forum and look at the titles of the threads you'll see that there is one for almost every aspect of setting up an OTA system. :)

lhowarth
2008-10-03, 04:01 PM
Is there a list of all the DTV channels say within 100 miles of Toronto anywhere?

I would be easier to scan if you could set the channel then spin the antenna to find it!

Larry

stampeder
2008-10-03, 04:06 PM
Yes, please see Posts #9 and #10 in the OTA Knowledge Base & FAQ:

lhowarth
2008-10-04, 06:24 PM
Thanks Stampeder---I'm new to this form and just feeling my way around!

Larry

jillo
2008-10-06, 01:47 PM
ok...So I have read alot of the stuff on the forums and the FAQ and I am still a bit confused.

I live in Toronto (and we have an old analogue tv) and my new landlords are forcing us to get rid of our dish.

So we have bunny ears with a loop. We get 7 channels right now. I would like to get some usa cannels(i.e. Fox) and Suntv and maybe even A Channel.

What equipment is needed for this (since our tv is analogue). I really want to get some new channels soon.

What type of box is needed to get the usa channels and what is a good mini antenna to put outside.

Thanks

stampeder
2008-10-06, 02:36 PM
jillo, welcome here - I've moved your post into this thread for your area. I highly recommend that you read through it to see how others near you have done.

To briefly answer your questions, if you wish to keep your analogue TV you will need a Digital Converter Box, which are a bit hard to find in Canada at this time but you can probably get one from the U.S. more easily.

You will also need an OTA antenna outside, but we need some important info from you first: does the place where you would put an outside antenna have a clear view towards the CN Tower and also hopefully towards Buffalo?

jillo
2008-10-06, 03:29 PM
thanks for the help

I am just not willing to buy a new tv at this point in time.

I would be putting the antenna on my balcony, and I am not in a high up area so I would say I am in the direction of the CN tower and could see it if i were higher up (I am on the 3rd floor)

stampeder
2008-10-06, 03:34 PM
OK it looks like your 3rd floor balcony is facing directly south, right?

If that's the case you are in good shape to put up an antenna on it and get both Toronto and Buffalo after aiming it for the best of both.

jillo
2008-10-06, 03:59 PM
It faces west but it is a large and wide balcony that i can see about 2 blocks south of it.

So if i get something like a "Digital to Analog TV Converter Box" and hook it up to an outdoor antenna I should get some good Toronto/Buffalo tv even after the switch to digital in the usa next year?

stampeder
2008-10-06, 04:12 PM
Yes, and before you buy one here's a thread that contains recent reviews of Digital OTA Converter Boxes so that you can judge their features:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42186

Pearce
2008-10-14, 12:55 PM
I'm about to install a new outdoor antenna with a roof mount to replace my current indoor VHF/UHF antenna. I have a few questions. I'm a newbie, but have been reading lots in this forum. I apologize if there is a thread that covers this question, but I couldn't find anything appropriate.

I live just south of Danforth in a house with a flat roof at the back (West) and a peak at the front (East). On the flat roof just below the peak is an old satellite dish. It was there when I bought the house and I have never used it. Is it possible to mount an antenna to the same bracket at the satellite dish? I want to minimize the number of holes in my roof!

A company called Optimist Electronics has quoted me $750 to install a CM4228 with rotor (remote controlled), cables, mounting system, etc. I do not need an HD receiver as my Toshiba LCD has one built in.

Is this antenna overkill for downtown Toronto? My indoor antenna gets most channels that his site says are available, just not reliably. (It is located in the basement and pointed out the window directly at the neighbours house.)

I feel that this price is on the high end. I saw that this antenna is available for $100 online. What would be a fair price? Does anyone on here do installs?

Also, the CM4228 doesn't get the VHF-Lo channels. Do I need those? Am I best to get a VHF/UHF antenna? Also, do I need the 8-bay, or is a 4-bay sufficient?

El Gran Chico
2008-10-14, 06:52 PM
Pearce, I can't say 100% for you but the CM 4221 (4 bay) works great for me. You don't need VHF-Lo (unless you want analog CKVR for the next 3 years). The only thing on VHF-Hi you may want after next February will be RTN on digital 7 (unless you are trying for analog CHEX for the next 3 years). Everything else will be on UHF (including the digital versions of everything currently on VHF)

That said, the 4228 is better than a 4221 for VHF-Hi - I hoping my 4221 will be fine for RTN but we won't know for sure until next February.

roger1818
2008-10-14, 08:17 PM
Is it possible to mount an antenna to the same bracket at the satellite dish? I want to minimize the number of holes in my roof!

The only antennas I would recommend for mounting on a J-Mount bracket (from a satellite dish) are either a 2-bay bowtie (such as the CM-4220) which only do UHF (14-69) or the new CM-2016 (http://www.channelmasterintl.com/documentation/datasheets/Channel%20Master_2016_Outdoor%20Antenna_20080519.pdf) which does UHF and VHF-HI (7-13). Both of these antennas would be fine for the locals from downtown (as long as it is facing the CN Tower and First Canada Place), but probably won't pick up the Buffalo stations very reliably.

Pearce
2008-10-15, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the 4221 as it would be smaller and less obtrusive, as it sounds like I will have to mount it to my chimney.

As for the install price of $750, can someone give some feedback on that? What would be a fair price?

raven_hsw
2008-10-15, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the 4221 as it would be smaller and less obtrusive, as it sounds like I will have to mount it to my chimney.

As for the install price of $750, can someone give some feedback on that? What would be a fair price?
Pearce, if you are handy and not trying to get US stations, you can try what I did. I am also in the east end and our houses are probably similar.

If you can punch a hole somewhere in the ceiling of the second floor below the peak, there is probably *just* enough room to put up a CM4221 or a clone up there. As long there is nothing blocking your house in the sightline, you just need to have it face the CN tower to get the Toronto stations.

We're closer to the lake, but we get all the Toronto stations reliably with this method. If you want to get US stations, you're going to need to have an outdoor install, probably chimney mounted and you'll likely need a rotor as well. I can't imagine having a 1 metre tall antenna installed on one of those small satellite dish mounts and I don't see there being any way you could easily put a rotor with that setup.

I cannot comment on the pricing (I'm sure much of it is labour -- do some research and you can figure out the cost for parts), but all I know is that I am too cheap to spend that kind of money on an antenna install. :)

roger1818
2008-10-15, 03:37 PM

Well if you consider that there is probably about $150 in parts and 4 hours labour, that is $150 an hour, which considering they are up on your roof doesn't sound too bad I guess.

roger1818
2008-10-15, 03:41 PM
I can't imagine having a 1 metre tall antenna installed on one of those small satellite dish mounts

I agree that you wouldn't want to put a 4-bay antenna on a J-Mount. A 2-bay antenna is about as large as I would recommend.