: pcHDTV ATSC OTA Cards For Linux

Pages : 1 [2]

rpr
2007-01-19, 03:29 PM
I tried a Fusion Lite card, could not get it to work in my setup, so I got an HD HomeRun. It's a dual tuner ATSC device that sits on your network and streams data to a client. It can tune QAM or OTA digital broadcasts on either/or/both tuners, and it works very well. It does not do decryption, so I only get about 50 channels via QAM with Rogers in Brampton, and I get about 8 or 9 OTA HD channels with an antenna. I am quite happy with it, it plugged into my MythTV setup super easy.

Tom

jeffwiggins
2007-02-01, 06:29 PM
I have the HD5500 card from pchdtv running under Fedora Core 6, 2.6.19.1 kernel and pulling in channels using a CM 4228 antenna. I have a HD5000 (AirStar) adapter using QAM on Rogers Cable in Toronto.

The HD5500 has component output not input, so you can't use it to connect say a SA6200 HD box from Rogers and accept the HD content.

Jeff.

silverpig
2007-04-04, 10:55 PM
I just got the pchdtv 5500 installed in my computer as well. I'm using a terk hdtv indoor antenna in a very poor location (I'm moving in a few months so it's okay). I get cbchd just fine but nothing else. Other than that though, it works well.

stampeder
2007-04-05, 11:15 AM
Which Linux kernel & distribution are you using? Are you running MythTV or using the Xine-HD app for viewing?

silverpig
2007-04-09, 01:55 AM
Ubuntu edgy
2.6.17-11

For viewing I just use vlc

vlc dvb://

If I want to record I just use getatsc

getatsc -dvb 0 58 > cbchd.ts

I can then play back the recording as I go.

vlc cbchd.ts

I'm watching on my 20.1" 1680x1050 LCD, and use VLC's realtime deinterlacing filter. It looks pretty good. I have a dedicated mythtv box with a PVR-150 in it which works well, but it's hooked up to a standard def television, so the pchdtv 5500 won't do all that much in it. Besides, my receiving setup isn't ideal right now due to where I live.

I'll be moving in August and will probably put this card in the myth box and will hook it up to a hd display. I'll probably also improve my antenna and perhaps look into a preamp etc.

Massif
2007-06-06, 11:19 AM
I recently got a Sharp Aquos LC42D72U. I connected my cable to it temporarily while I reformatted my MythTV box and was surprised to find that it gets tons more HD channels than my pcHDTV tuner card!

The tuner card was only able to get ABC, CBS and FOX in HD. However, the Aquos is able to get Global, OMNI1, OMNI 2, CBS, CBC, CityTV, ABC, CTV, FOX, TSN, Sportsnet, PBS and probably some more that I'm forgetting.

It's not connected to a cable box from my cable provider (Mountain Cablevision in Hamilton) so how am I able to get these stations on the TV, but not with my tuner card? Is it possibly a software/driver limitation? Are these additional channels encrypted or unencrypted?

2007-06-06, 11:29 AM
If you're getting those channels on your TV's QAM tuner, they are unencrypted. It is possible that the channels you're not receiving on your card are on frequencies that are not accessed by the card? Check the specs for the card frequencies. Also, when doing the scan for frequencies, make sure you've checked the correct option for the scan.

You're in one of the few areas of Canada where you can get these channels because Mountain has not bothered to encrypt the channels. Be aware that should they choose to encrypt, you will lose this functionality.

See: Can I get Digital Cable? (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271)

macker
2007-06-06, 01:19 PM
Massif,

Where abouts did you pick up the pchdtv card? I know about their site but was wondering if there was a Canadian distributor? I want to pick one up because I am going to build a Myth box as well. I also don't want to get dinged with the duty charge.

Thanks in advance

Jamie