: Shaw HDTV Ads In Vancouver

Waverider
2003-01-07, 02:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I heard an ad for Shaw today talking about High Definition TV in "your area". Can't remember if it was a radio or TV ad, but definitely heard about HDTV being available. Can anyone else confirm that this was what I heard?

Jeffnoone
2003-01-07, 02:26 AM
Yes, this is definitely available in at least some areas
On the North Shore for sure, Shaw headquaters sold out of (or never had) the receivers
Available at 3 other retailers, Shaw rep mentioned Future Shop, A&B and one other
$699 (I think, approx this for sure) with some programming rebates once you call Shaw and tell them you have it - about $100 I think

3 channels currently, to go shortly to 5 according to Shaw - another post somewhere said these will be switched to East coast feeds (currently at least 1 from Seattle) - channels "free" for now

Other posts here indicate it is available in other Lower Mainland areas

You can see the thing in action at FS, Park Royal store has it hooked up to that 42 Sony plasma - I assume other FS stores the same

BTW the programming seemed to be not HDTV on the 2 occasions I have looked at it - for example a college football game - but only limited progs are available in HDTV for now
Jeff

smhwlr
2003-01-07, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I heard an ad for Shaw today talking about High Definition TV in "your area". Can't remember if it was a radio or TV ad, but definitely heard about HDTV being available. Can anyone else confirm that this was what I heard?
Check out this thread. It is a bit long, but it may provide you with more info regarding the new Shaw HDTV services.
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4073

fish_antlers
2003-01-07, 11:34 AM
Jeff.. u in West van?

Waverider
2003-01-07, 09:36 PM
That's very cool - why not have all of the HD Nets from the US? NBC, CBS, ABC are the most likely ones, with Fox SDTV+ a trailing fourth. Hopefully the push to get decoders built into US TV's will spill over to increasing Canadian service. Wouldn't you love to have Hockey Night in Canada in HDTV?