: Do you like/dislike the Rogers Remote Control?

Pages : [1] 2

Paolo
2006-04-18, 02:05 AM
How many of you actually like the Rogers TV Remote Control unit, and what feature(s) do u like about it, how many of you completely hate it and what do u hate about it? also who is using a non-rogers remote to control the cable box, do u allow the remote to contrl the cable box's volume control or the TV's volume control from the rogers remote? Hope this helps!!

Rich Chambers
2006-04-18, 09:11 AM
I have the SA8300HD, a Kenwood home theatre, and a Toshiba HDTV and DVD.

I picked up the Harmony 880 and programmed it to control everything. The volume goes through the Kenwood for all devices.

The only keys that the SA remote has that I could still add would be Day and Page, which I haven't bothered with yet.

Rich

2006-04-18, 10:22 AM
I have 3 applications and use the Rogers remotes for all of them (one on each floor of our home - HT in the developed basement, TV on the second floor, and stereo receiver with in-wall speakers on the main floor.)

I use the SA8300HD Rogers remote and I like it. I have programmed it so that it turns on my STB and the TV with one button press. I have also programmed it to control the volume on my HT Yamaha receiver.

Since 95-99% of the time I'm watching the SA8300HD on my TV with the HT Yamaha receiver on (I never listen to the TV speakers), I'm using the 8300HD remote 95-99% of the time.

The SA8300HD remote can also control my VCR, however, I haven't used the VCR more than once or twice in the almost 2 years I've had the DVR.

I also use a Rogers remote for my SA3250HD to control that STB and the TV connected to it on the second floor. For that particular application, I use the variable volume on the STB since I don't have a receiver in the loop.

I also use a Rogers remote for my other Yamaha receiver (no TV connected). This may sound really strange, but I have a free SD (SA1840) STB that Rogers supplies me as part of my package and I use it to listen to the Galaxy (commercial free) channels. I have the STB volume on "fixed" and again have programmed the remote to control the receiver's volume. The Rogers remote can also switch inputs and cycle through the FM stations on the receiver, so, again, it's the only remote I use.

(I had to hook the SA1840 STB to a TV to set it all up, however, now it's simply working with the receiver. I also had to exchange the remote that came with the 1840 since it didn't have an AUX button, but that was easy to do and I was going by the Rogers store in my area anyway).

The only time I don't use the Rogers remote is for playing DVDs on my HT. Then I use the remote that came with my HT Yamaha receiver to control the DVD player, the TV and the receiver.

I can understand the appeal of a Harmony remote, but I don't need one due to the way I work things.

I'm not saying I love the remotes, but they work for me and I may be unique in this regard...

Paolo
2006-04-18, 10:45 AM
wow 57, thats a crazy setup but you got your work cut out for you in controlling all of it with a remote control. good stuff. i have the 3200 SD box, so my remote is probaly different than yours, do you guys use hte switched outlet on the back of your STB for any purpose? and can the vcr commander port be used (hooked up to controll) a tivo/pvr instead?

dustyporch
2006-04-18, 10:49 AM
I really liked the Rogers 8300 remote that I used for the past year with my standard TV.... Its a nice feeling remote, with good buttons and placement.

However, we got a new HDTV, 8300HD, Yamaha YSP, etc as part of our family room update, and there were way too many remotes and buttons for a sane person to use (especially if said sane person had to teach the wife).

I got a Harmony 880, and it is very nice. It doesn't have the nice feel of the 8300 remote, but its just so simple to use. Hit "Watch TV", and it powers on the TV, PVR and receiver, then sets everything to the correct inputs and adjusts the receiver to the best settings for TV. Same with the "Watch DVD" button, or Play PS2. I have a Roku Soundbridge, which it also controls with a single button press.

I'm not going back to multiple remotes.....

2006-04-18, 10:58 AM
1. do you guys use hte switched outlet on the back of your STB for any purpose?

2. can the vcr commander port be used (hooked up to controll) a tivo/pvr instead?1. I don't. You can turn the "switching" function on or off using the STB settings. (Set: AC Outlet)

BTW, you should NOT use a switched outlet to turn off any electronic equipment. Electronic equipment should always be turned off using the switch on the equipment or a remote control. Electronics is usually in standby and is rarely truly off. If you are going to be away for an extended period and wish to be environmentally friendly, unplug the device.

2. I used it on my SA3250HD to control my VCR, however, since I got the PVR, I have no use for the VCR. The VCR "commands" are pretty basic - it turns on the unit and hits "record" when the "hilighted" programme comes on, then hits stop and off at the end of the programme. Very basic but it can work if that's what you want.

PSIVIC
2006-04-18, 11:07 AM
I really like the remote for the SA8300 HDTV PVR. While I eventually want to pick up an 880, the Rogers remote is more than adequate for the time being.

new-guy
2006-04-18, 11:24 AM
I have used the remote that came with the 3250HD and currently the one with the 8300HDPVR...
I like both of them and since moving to the PVR rarely use anything but this remote. I have set it up to turn on my terminal, tv and receiver all at once. It will control my receiver volume (i dont use the tv speakers).

The only set back is that the remote doesnt change the inputs on my receiver!!! It has some of the inputs, but none of which i use.

I use the "vcr" mode to control my DVD player. It works really well in this application.

All in all the 8300 remote is quite good.

Eug
2006-04-18, 01:57 PM
The one thing I hate about the SA remotes is that they are inconsistent. The guide keys are on opposite sides comparing the 8300HD remote to the 3250HD. WTF?

BTW, how is the Xbox 360 Harmony remote for controlling the SA8300HD? If any good, I'd consider buying it.

dustyporch
2006-04-18, 02:01 PM
Its not an XBOX 360 Harmony remote... Its a Logitech Harmony 880 remote.

2006-04-18, 03:15 PM
The one thing I hate about the SA remotes is that they are inconsistent. The guide keys are on opposite sides comparing the 8300HD remote to the 3250HD. WTF?This bugs me a bit too, but I don't use those buttons that much on my second TV, or on my receiver.

Perhaps you could trade your 3250 remote for the 8300 one at a Rogers store...

Be careful, there are a whole bunch of different remotes. When they delivered my SA1840, that remote was different too (No Aux), and I traded it as mentioned earlier.

bgclarke
2006-04-18, 04:32 PM
I like them in general.

The one thing that annoyed me was when I upgraded from the SA3200 STB to the SA8300SD PVR, the remote for the 8300 did not have a code for my new Panasonic VCR yet the remote for the SA3200 did.

Other than that it does a good job.

new-guy
2006-04-18, 04:56 PM
The one thing that annoyed me was when I upgraded from the SA3200 STB to the SA8300SD PVR, the remote for the 8300 did not have a code for my new Panasonic VCR yet the remote for the SA3200 did.

I had the same thing happen to me... It ended up not being an issue as I rarely have 3 shows on at the same time. And even when i do, there is timeshifting. As i stated above, i just use the VCR mode to control my DVD... I dont think i have used my VCR in a looooong time....

Paolo
2006-04-18, 10:49 PM
weird, when i programmed my SONY Universal remote to work with the Scientific Atlantic SD Set Top box, every thing works, except the <- and -> keys are backwards, WTH is up with that? did i enter the rong code or somehting???? how could htey make it backwards?

Eug
2006-04-19, 08:04 AM
Its not an XBOX 360 Harmony remote... Its a Logitech Harmony 880 remote.
I was wondering if anyone had tried the Xbox 360 Harmony remote.

dustyporch
2006-04-19, 10:27 AM
Sorry Eug. My mistake... I hadn't heard of it before.

gs

MarcP
2006-04-19, 10:59 AM
I don't mind the SA remotes. I find the buttons easy to reach, but I wish some of the buttons would glow in the dark or be illuminated. Or at least have some patterns on some buttons that you can feel with your thumb to know what you're pressing on.

Wayne
2006-04-19, 12:09 PM
can the vcr commander port be used (hooked up to controll) a tivo/pvr instead?For a TiVo the control needs to go the other way - the TiVo has to send IR codes to change the channel on the SA box. This is not a problem as TiVos typically come with IR blaster cable but you don't even need them as the TiVo has a built in IR transmitter/receiver that works quite well.

bgclarke
2006-04-19, 03:26 PM
The only set back is that the remote doesnt change the inputs on my receiver!!! It has some of the inputs, but none of which i use.

I thought the same thing until one night I accidently pressed one of the numbers on the keypad and it changed the inputs on the receiver.

Have you tried pressing all of the numbers on the keypad?

2006-04-19, 04:10 PM
That's the first thing I tried when I programmed the remote for my Yammy. Pressed every button to see what it did. Certain numbers changed the inputs. CH+ surfed through the FM Memories, etc.