: Rogers 8300HD 1.89 firmware update (Rollout Begins week of Jan 8th)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

dustyporch
2006-04-05, 01:16 PM
I had an email conversation yesterday with a CSR at Rogers about the update to the firmware version 1.88 for the SA8300HD. He said that Rogers is current doing a segment by segment update to this latest firmware, and we all should have it soon. He also suggested doing power cycle to the device, which will apply the update if it is available.

No timeframe from them, but its good to know that it is coming. Just FYI.

For anyone interested, here are a few of the new features;
- Faster FF 128x
- Fixes for HDMI issues (including intermittent Pause/FF/REW issues when HDMI is used)
- Ability to "Play from beginning" when tuning to a show in progress that you are recording.
- Record setting for "First Run on this channel", in addition to "TimeSlot" and "All episodes"
- Plus many bug fixes.... (including the 'jump to live' issue when watching a show that is being recorded)

Ghost
2006-04-05, 02:17 PM
It would be nice to get all this.
Rogers, I want my upgrage NOW !!!:D

scott.crawford
2006-04-05, 02:20 PM
No timeframe from them leads me to believe it will be a long time. I hope not, I hope not, I hope not.

I'm not going to get my hopes up on this, but it is nice to see that they are finally acknowledging the problem and the available fix.

hugh
2006-04-05, 02:29 PM
I hope you are right because 3 of those issues annoy the heck out of me!
I tried unplugging my unit to see if it would update but no luck!

reddwarf
2006-04-05, 02:37 PM
Was there any mention of the 8000HD getting a similar firmware update? Items one, three and five are my biggest beefs...

Cyclism
2006-04-05, 02:39 PM
It always baffled me as to why the largest Cable company in Canada has sat on this firmware upgrade for almost a year, when other larger companies in the US have already rolled it out, as well as Videotron in Canada.

Does anyone know if 1.88 will output Y, Pb, Pr through HDMI rather than R, G, B? I want my Colour and Tint settings back on my PDP which have been disabled because version 1.87 only outputs R, G, B through HDMI.

Steele-in-HD
2006-04-06, 08:24 AM
I hope this isn't an April fools joke. Those changes are needed! Please don't be teasing.

jvincent
2006-04-06, 08:52 AM
Does anyone know if 1.88 will output Y, Pb, Pr through HDMI rather than R, G, B? I want my Colour and Tint settings back on my PDP which have been disabled because version 1.87 only outputs R, G, B through HDMI.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it does because I just hooked up my new plasma via HDMI a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I was able to adjust the tint.

I'll try to remember to double check my F/W version tonight.

leeanne172
2006-04-08, 09:45 PM
So basically the update could happen anytime between now and end of my life? lol .. been waiting for that update for so long that I would do summersaults if it actually happened ;)

jvincent
2006-04-08, 10:00 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it does because I just hooked up my new plasma via HDMI a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I was able to adjust the tint.

I'll try to remember to double check my F/W version tonight.

This reminded me to check my F/W.

As it turns out, I am at 1.87, but tint still works for me on my panel via HDMI.

Bruce Fan
2006-04-09, 03:29 PM
I spoke with a Rogers CSR yesterday who seemed to know nothing about it.

I just don't understand why Rogers wouldn't want to get this out. If there is a problem or delay then just tell us...

Cablevision in the US has had it since last June and Videotron has had it since November.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

nathan
2006-04-09, 04:33 PM
In general most companies won't make official statements about upcoming products or services in advance, or rather, in advance of having a definitive plan in place to deploy said-product.

The fact that a CSR mentioned that they were rolling out 1.88 in the first place is fairly surprising, not that I'm saying they were lying or anything (why would he/she?)...some CSR's are more in-the-know than others, or rather, maybe they take more of a vested interest in what's going on on the tech side since maybe that's something they care about. Others might view it as just a paycheck, and not care about anything outside of what's in their training material (and I don't hold that against them).

I'll tell you one way to NOT get any information about the new firmware...fill out one of their forms. I've asked about 1.88 via their online form more than a few times, and I never get a response at all...not even an aknowledgement that I sent them a question. (usually at least I get some sort of canned response)

2006-04-09, 11:30 PM
I'll tell you one way to NOT get any information about the new firmware...fill out one of their forms. That is very strange. I have always received a response (often canned) and I always receive an acknowledgement almost immediately that I sent in a question.

Are you sure you provided an appropriate e-mail address and that you don't have a spam filter of some sort blocking a return response?

Try the following e-mail address instead of the "form"

rogerscabletv at rci.rogers.com

nathan
2006-04-10, 06:43 AM
That is very strange. I have always received a response (often canned) and I always receive an acknowledgement almost immediately that I sent in a question.
Well, I get a notification that they received my request, but never a reply back.

Are you sure you provided an appropriate e-mail address and that you don't have a spam filter of some sort blocking a return response?
Quite sure, yes.

Surprisingly enough, I got a reply (not neccessarily canned) last night, within an hour, to my question:

However, with regard to SARA v1.88, we have no information on this
matter. As we do appreciate your concerns regarding your issue, please
be advised that although Rogers is aware of the various bugs in the
software, please note that we are continually modifying the Internal
Operating System (IOS) for the PVRs/digital terminals. We apologize for
the inconvenience.

In order to ensure that your digital terminal / PVR has been updated
with the recent release of the IOS, please try power cycling the unit.
You may perform this by unplugging the power cord from the outlet in the
wall for one minuite, and then plugging it back in. Wait until the unit
power back up and the internal operating system (IOS) loads. Once you
are able to view a channel on your television set, please recheck your
digital cable TV services.

So really, no information at all...other than the fact that they're constantly updating the software...which I doubt they are, as the firmware revision hasn't changed in almost a year perhaps?

mfabien
2006-04-10, 07:29 AM
Was there any mention of the 8000HD getting a similar firmware update? Items one, three and five are my biggest beefs...

I have Videotron but for your information,

For my SA8000HD I have software 1.88.12.2
and for my SA8300SD I have software 1.88.18.1. They offer similar features and bug corrections.

Both machines have:
- the 4th FF/RW for 128 frames/sec
- Play from beginning (during recording)
- no more stuttering for FF or RW
- Change to Live during or after recording

However, neither offers to record First Episode only.

reddwarf
2006-04-10, 11:57 AM
I have Videotron but for your information,

For my SA8000HD I have software 1.88.12.2
and for my SA8300SD I have software 1.88.18.1. They offer similar features and bug corrections.

Thanks, that's good to know that bugs are being fixed for the older system. After the last firmware upgrade my 8000HD has been very stable so I've been reluctant to bother with a 8300HD. Maybe when I finally have a need for an external HD...

nathan
2006-04-10, 06:35 PM
I replied to Rogers in response to the response they sent me. I politely asked why, if they are aware of the issues with the PVR, they don't take the steps to rectify them.

I was met with this response:

In your recent email you informed us that you had some inquiries
regarding the Personal Video Recorders.

In order to better assist you with your question we ask that you
contact our Repair Department at 1-800-738-7891, we are open 24 hours a
day, 7 days a week.

I guess I'll call them up, but I'm doubtful I'll get a proper response.

2006-04-10, 07:11 PM
That's their canned response too. If you ARE going to call them, you can re-advise them of the current issues (good to have a list handy) and ask them when they're going to get around to fixing these issues which have now been around for about 18 months. ie, new firmware when?

While you're at it, why not bring up the issue of the IPG being incorrect for a number of programmes like Lost, MarketPlace, Jay Leno, Corner Gas, etc because TV Guide "rounds" the times to the nearest 5 minutes - very sad.

Dajad
2006-04-10, 09:07 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. The pop-out-when watching shows as recording has been my biggest pet peeve for 2 years now. The second biggest problem, frankly is this unit's total unreliability for so many reasons. Thank God for my TiVo backups. But, ANY of these fixes would be greatly appreciated.

But, I'm not holding my breath.

...Dale

peterweb
2006-04-11, 10:23 PM
I contacted a Rogers representative regarding issues with the 8300HD PVR, and was given information that the upgrade to 1.88xxx is

"tentatively scheduled for this summer dependant upon internal testing, the actual number will change based on what we find with testing"

It was also noted that the frontline CSRs are not given this information because timing and features can change before release to the public.

Hope this helps anyone.