: Rogers 8300HD 1.89 firmware update (Rollout Begins week of Jan 8th)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

lawgman
2006-05-31, 11:23 AM
I have been told we will see the firmware upgrade 3rd quarter (which puts it in the July-September timeframe) with a small possibility of an end of Q2 release. Supposedly, Rogers is testing some additional upgrades to release all at once and that is why it has not yet been released.

homer_j
2006-05-31, 11:28 AM
SARA 1.88 is "Rogers Vapourware".

Can we have a poll to see what comes out first?

A. SARA 1.88 on Rogers network
B. Microsoft Vista for Home

2006-05-31, 11:53 AM
I was wondering if the TV-Guide-Canada-supplied IPG information is not "ready" for the firmware (first episode, etc) and whether that might be causing the delay?

As it is, TV Guide Canada is typically far behind other IPG suppliers with regard to correct start/stop times (covered in another thread) and their "confusion" regarding programme names with and without "HD". (Inconsistent programme names also covered in other threads)

kitaa
2006-07-03, 04:26 PM
Mine was on channel one, but nothing appears to have changed. Still at Sara 1.87.16.a1, 1394 is still set to Unavailable.....

Who knows if Rogers will actually enable Firewire with SARA 1.88 :rolleyes:

Dajad
2006-07-07, 03:45 PM
The more interesting question, who knows if Rogers will release SARA 1.88! :)

kitaa
2006-07-10, 02:11 PM
The more interesting question, who knows if Rogers will release SARA 1.88! :)

Well, with all the known bugs in the current firmware I think it's a question of "courtesy" to provide the customer with a newer firmware if available. But unfortunately Rogers seems to have other priorities right now. :rolleyes:

Eljaca
2006-07-12, 08:26 PM
A "courtesy" upgrade would be great, but I won't be holding my breath. Has anyone ever had any luck as a group of individuals raising the profile of an issue such as this by way of flooding the lines/emails with requests? Would it be worth putting together an email template for us all to send in individually requesting that the upgrade be pushed up their priority list? Just a thought...

Scott.

2006-07-12, 08:32 PM
Scott, we were successful with Rogers when they wanted to charge $10 for the HD pak a while back, with e-mails and letter writing, we got this reduced to $5. But that was for money. It appears that people are not as dilligent when it's "just" technology... ;)

Craigsamuel
2006-07-12, 08:32 PM
Or, an on-line petition might do it.

lawgman
2006-07-13, 12:04 PM
Scott, we were successful with Rogers when they wanted to charge $10 for the HD pak a while back, with e-mails and letter writing, we got this reduced to $5. But that was for money. It appears that people are not as dilligent when it's "just" technology... ;)

Yes but reducing fee is simple for Rogers to implement. A tech upgrade must be tested. So even if we bombard them with emails, they still can't release it immediately if testing is not complete...

No doubt Rogers is testing 1.88. Its just a matter of when and not if. I have no reason not to beleive my source at Rogers - it will be out before the end of Q3.

Eljaca
2006-07-13, 08:43 PM
No doubt Rogers is testing 1.88.
Based on their track record...I doubt!
it will be out before the end of Q3.
Q3 of what year?

Just kidding around, but in all seriousness, it would be nice to make some headway on this rather than hearing rumour after rumour. Anyone care to put together a well worded template? I'd offer my own words, but I'm not the most technologically inclined individual!

Scott

Cyclism
2006-07-14, 03:54 PM
I'm not the most technologically inclined individual!

Yeah, and neither are the Rogers CSRs.

Eljaca
2006-07-14, 08:25 PM
Yeah, and neither are the Rogers CSRs.
Hey, I'm pretty bad, but not that bad! :)

Scott

slam_to
2006-07-18, 10:01 PM
We should try a phone-mob.

I was watching a show on the CBC and they were doing a show on big companies and customer support, or lack there of.

They had mentioned a few things that I noticed Rogers was doing. One thing I've noticed when I used to call them to report bugs in the PVR software. They always reply with "no one has reported this before". It's a standard tactic companies use to avoid solving customer issues. If has never been 'reported' before, then it must be a unique problem.

If we could get enough people to call them at the same time, then they can't claim it's unique issue.

subculture
2006-08-09, 04:47 PM
I'd be all for this.... I think both a phone mob and an email template would be good... but even better would be an online petition with a list of people who support it... Rogers would be very paranoid of Bell using this to their advantage...

Maken
2006-08-12, 01:19 PM
- Faster FF 128x
- Ability to "Play from beginning" when tuning to a show in progress that you are recording.
- 'jump to live' issue when watching a show that is being recorded

These are major issues, I can't believe how long it's taking Rogers...

We seriously need to take some initiative here.

Lexx
2006-08-13, 08:28 AM
The new firmware upgrade is in use with some cable companies in the States already. Been available from SA since June.

You'll know you've got it when you notice that you have an extra Fast Forward. One with 4 little arrows. The added forward speed is 128x. Most we have now is 30x I believe.

Lexx
2006-08-14, 09:19 PM
One other item of interest for those who also have an HDMI switching receiver, apparently the new firmware will allow you to feed your Rogers box to your receiver and then on to your HDMI ready TV.

With the present firmware the Rogers box will not go through a switching receiver, at least it won't go through my Pioneer and I know the Yamahas have problems too. Since it is the source (the rogers box) that controls the HDCP copy protection, this new firmware will allow more set-up flexibility.

Hope I'm not reporting old news, but as mentioned, no sign of the new firmware in my house yet.

homer_j
2006-08-15, 09:25 AM
Does the 1.88 firmware keep a bookmark of each and every recording's last accessed position?

Maybe our Videotron members might know.

Bestman
2006-08-18, 02:03 PM
Nope, no bookmarks for each recording.