: Which to buy? LCD, RPTV, or Plasma?

Pages : 1 [2]

luis
2005-09-19, 01:28 AM
I was also pretty impressed by the A10's. I went on Friday to FS, and had a really good look at the 42" model. The feed they had looked very nice and high resolution, the colors looked really good. I played around with the video settings to my tastes, and I was surprised by how good it looked. I had a chance to examine the viewing angle from about 6 feet away, and I thought it was really good! Not bad at all. (Or so I thought...)

Then, I went to take a look at the plasmas..

Man, these sets are SO bright, and so sharp, and the colors just leap off the screen! I mainly looked at the sets I mentioned earlier: the Samsung, Hitachi, and Panasonic. I was most impressed by the Panasonic and Samsung. It seemed to me like the Samsung with the 10000:1 contrast ratio had slightly better image quality, and better blacks and whites. It was a close contest though. The Panasonic has more features, with a memory card slot among other things.

I also had a look at a 42" Pioneer going for $4K and the 50" LG that hoodlum mentioned. These sets were also very impressive, but the salesman there told me that I should stick with either the Panny, the Samsung, or Hitachi if I want to seriously play videogames on them. He told me that LG and Pioneer sets are notorious for burn-in with videogames because they don't have any anti-burn in technologies. Can anyone shed light on this?

After looking at Plasmas for over an hour, I went back to look at the A10. Man, I couldn't believe it! The picture looked very dull, and washed out, and blurry, compared to the Plasmas. I'm definitely going Plasma now. But the burn-in issue still worries me. I haven't received a straight answer to that problem yet.

JiggaMan
2005-09-19, 10:38 AM
Go for a projector! :-)

dbergler
2005-09-23, 02:32 AM
Hey everyone, first post here, although I've been reading these forums heavily for the past few weeks. I'm looking to upgrade my outdated 32" Sony Trinitron CRT.

HDTV.
What are you going to do with your old 32" Sony? My 32" Sony just crapped out and I am too broke to buy the new technology.

functor
2005-09-23, 10:31 AM
Well I did more investigating... I figure I've easily spent about 150+ hours researching over the last month for my first HDTV. I was all set for the 50" A10, then went into the stores again and again, my eyes always gravitated towards the plasmas... so I started to research plasmas.

First impression was that they were WAY out of my budget. I was prepared to spend $3200 on a 50" Sony A10. Then the stand @ around $400. But if u get this model then you have to buy bulbs every 2-3 years @ $300-$400 a pop.

Even still, plasmas seemed to be out of my budget. A 50" plasma @ BB or FS was running $6,000+ (not including that cheap LG 50" which had horrid reviews). Then I decided to take a look @ the commercial models. Turns out that you can get a 50" Panasonic 8th generation plasma screen for $4299.99 Canadian! The commercial model was a little bare, but I am getting expressvu, so I didnt need a tuner. The commercial model also has limited inputs, so you'd need to buy extra input cards. I myself figured I only needed an extra component input card for $129.99. And a wall mount for $199.99.

So Panasonic commercial plasma rings in @ $4629, and the sony 50" A10 comes to $3600 (assuming you dont get a deal by haggling - which I am horrid at). Thats getting pretty close. But when you factor in the extra bulbs you'r going to have to buy, assuming you can still get them when you need them, in 5 or 6 years you've spent the same as a the commercial Panasonic plasma, and you are still sinking money into it every couple years. Whereas the plasma is good for 20 years of 8 hours / day viewing.

The risks: Since it is a commercial product, you cant buy it at a local retail store like BB or FS. You have to order online, which means you have to buy it without seeing it first (it is the same panel as the consumer product, and the 50" consumer product looked amazing). There is a company in Ontario that quoted me that $4300 (free shipping), and that seems to be very reputable. Also, the return policies are not as good as BB or FS. If theres a problem with the unit then fine, it gets fixed or replaced @ no expense to you, but if you just plain ole dont like the way it looks @ you, then you gotta fork over 20% plus shipping for restocking. I guess thats better than saying "tuff luck" all together.

I placed a preorder for the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK last night. They are going to be released in Canada on October 1st apparently, so it shoudlnt be much longer than that to get it shipped to me.

I spent a little bit more than I wanted originally when considering the RPLCD's, but I didnt have to make any compromises when it came to the product performance. It does involve a little bit of risk however, and I have to admit, I will be a little nervous until I get the unit in and I hook it up and confirm that everything is OK.

I'll let you know when I get it in how everything turned out.

hoodlum
2005-09-23, 11:27 AM
Hi Functor,

Congratulations on your purchase. I spoke with Panasonic Canada earlier this morning and the HD Plasmas are coming in early next week so maybe your dealer can get it to you by the end of next week.

Also, had you considered purchasing from outside of Ontario to save on PST. evisionplasma.ca in Vancouver does this and you would save over $300. I don't know their pricing so you would need to phone them as their web site doesn't list the 50PHD8UK yet.

kalak
2005-09-23, 04:07 PM
So Panasonic commercial plasma rings in @ $4629, and the sony 50" A10 comes to $3600 (assuming you dont get a deal by haggling - which I am horrid at). Thats getting pretty close. But when you factor in the extra bulbs you'r going to have to buy, assuming you can still get them when you need them, in 5 or 6 years you've spent the same as a the commercial Panasonic plasma, and you are still sinking money into it every couple years. Whereas the plasma is good for 20 years of 8 hours / day viewing.

This is the case because A10 is brand new out of the block. Wait just 2 to 3 months, the price would drop a lot quicker than the Panasonic. For me, I went for the 50WE620; I didn't find the A10's dynamic iris that big of a deal, and the PQ improvement over the WE620 was not that great to justify a huge cost difference. The WE620 is being sold at $2,299 without price haggling, probably lower if you do. So for me, the price difference between 50" plasma and RPLCD is at least 100% more.

The technology available now is still not my "dream TV'. My rationale is to get the best bang for the buck right now, instead of state-of-the-art. And in 3 to 4 years time, I can probably spend another $2,299 for a 1080p flat panel. I will need two HDTVs anyways, one in my bedroom.

And a properly calibrated 50WE620 is quite stunning, and will serve me well.

benf
2005-11-20, 01:29 PM
This week the Samsung HPR4272 42" plasma is $2999.99, a $500 price drop.

Not bad for a 5th Gen 10:000:1 contrast ratio plasma, that I think has the same pic quality as the $2.5K more pioneer 43".

I think this is going to be the one for me.

Edit: forgot to mention that it is at futureshop.

Zamu
2005-11-29, 11:34 PM
Samsung HPR4272 42" plasma is $2999.99 - Iwent to Future Shop tonight to look at DLp and Sony LCD A10, and I had a simulair experance. After looking at each screen for about 2 minutes all running the same HD channel I also ended up feeling that the plasma had the best picture. I liked the panasonic HD the best, but at $4400 it's too much...The samsung had a nice picture too...it's not $2999.00 anymore - but I figure they would price match the flyer I kept from two weeks ago. Has anyone purchased this set? I know the panny has great reviews on-line and in print...how does the samsung compare? Any issues? They both have 2 year warr.

FuzzyQball
2005-11-30, 09:46 AM
One thing with the Sony RP is that they have a reduced viewing angle. I have one and love it for the price. Plasma was too expensive for me! One thing I noticed with the sony on display at future shop is that it was on it's stand, and when standing up the picture looks really poor. You need to have you eyes at the same level as the TV when watching it to have the best picture. viewing angle in the horizontal plane is mcuh better. Stores the display these tv's this way are doing the manufactures a dis-service, and I wonder if they don't have a interest in pushing you towards a more expensive TV to increase their commisions

benf
2005-12-04, 01:36 PM
The Samsung HPR4272 42" plasma is back on sale for $2999.99, and tonight the friends and family discount knocks off another 10%, so the total is $2700+tax.

I'm going to pounce on it this time. This deal is too good to pass up.

imprezatwofive
2005-12-04, 07:13 PM
I just picked up a samsung hd 4252c, and just getting used to hooking all up and adjusting to the size :P

Watching DVD's are amzing on the plasma.

I too was worried about the talk of burn in, even with the "anti_burn in " protection.

Hate how most of the stations have there logo on the bottom of the screen.

Do we have to worry about all static images (any colour) or moslty bright images like CBC/Discouvery white logos?

Started poping the PIP (picture in picture) box to blank out those spots, see if that works to switch it up on the screen.

Sorry first post lots o question :P

FuzzyQball
2005-12-05, 11:37 AM
I have the older model of the sony 42" LCDRPTV. The picture is very good. One thing I noticed is that these sets don't look good when viewed from a standing postion(unless they are elevated). The plasma TV generally looks better when walking around because the viewing angle is not so critical. Once you get on the same level as the TV, the picture looks good and the viewing angle in the horizontal plane is quite good also. I would of gone to plasma if the price had not been so high for a decent one. The cheaper ones have been typically ED and ontherswise nto so impressive compared to my SONY.

lancla
2005-12-05, 11:20 PM
Just to add a little drop of water, strangely, it seems that Sony dropped plasma displays and only sells LCD. Am I right? Would that indicate a trend?

I own a 34" 16:9 XBR CRT - exceptionnal PQ - and would like in a year or two to jump to 42" or 50", so I follow this thread with interest. No definitive opinion yet on the LCD versus PLASMA debate...

PokerChip
2005-12-06, 01:02 AM
I just picked up a Toshiba 27HL85 LCD panel last week from FS. It's a great TV and it will serve its purpose very well where I wall mounted it.

It has better resolution than my 42" Pioneer HD plasma and it's also smaller in size. One would expect the PQ would be better.

That may be true for analog and digital channels, but on HD, the plasma still beats is hands down.

My plasma is also a clear winner in the colour rendering category and I like the effect the glass on my plasma gives to the picture better than the LCD's "matte" effect.

I chose the LCD because there's no plasma in that size range and I also knew the LCD would be less susceptible to glares as it is located in a room with even more direct sunlight than my plasma.

In my view, the choice is clear: plasma all the way.

ewerx
2005-12-06, 01:34 AM
Just to add a little drop of water, strangely, it seems that Sony dropped plasma displays and only sells LCD. Am I right? Would that indicate a trend?
I wouldn't say that's a trend. Sony is in financial trouble and restructuring this way and that. Panasonic (Matsushita), who also makes PDPs for other manufacturers, is "betting big" on plasma and opening new production facilities for plasma displays. Plasmas are here to stay... at least until they get replaced by SED :)

Sources:
http://news.google.ca/news?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&tab=wn&q=matsushita+plasma&btnG=Search+News

BuffaloButt
2006-05-25, 12:33 AM
Hey Guys:

I'm a newbie and i'm looking at buying a hdtv and have narrowed it down to the panasonic ph42tx60 or one of the sony rplcd (42"-50" a10's) please help,so many things to consider-burn in,lifespan,bulb or no bulb. Any help would be appreciated.

rikee
2006-05-25, 07:17 AM
These were my 2 choice and I went with the panny plasma. The bulb issue was the main reason but also for the picture quality and the 2 HDMI input.
You could also consider the EDTV model, a very good choice for the price.