: The Photographer's Rights in Canada ??

Jenx
2005-08-16, 01:15 PM
Hello all.
Anyone have an idea of a similar document for us Canadians?

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

i.e.
-What is considered to be off limits to Photograph in Canada?
-Can someone really take your card / film away?
-Etc

Big Thanks!!

BTW : Just got the D50 ( so far , so great !! )

hugh
2005-08-16, 01:34 PM
I don't know of anything but I'm sure the General rule is applicable in Canada.

The general rule in the United States is that anyone may take photographs of whatever they want when they are in a public place or places where they have permission to take photographs.

You might want to check out some sites related to the Canadian Press as they may have some rules they use for press photographers. If you find something, please let us know.

Jenx
2005-08-16, 03:11 PM
Thanks hugh !
I'll FYI if I do find any info...

Jennifer

jvincent
2005-08-16, 03:58 PM
Try contacting Michael Reichmann of the Luminous Landscape. He's a professional photographer based out of Toronto, so I'm pretty sure he'll have an answer.

http://luminous-landscape.com/

FINS5
2006-01-27, 07:12 PM
I just noticed this thread but was surprised to see it ended abruptly with no further details. Did anyone find anything out, and if so, I'd be very interested as would others, I'm sure.

FYI, In a past life, I worked as a small city newspaper reporter and up to 50 per cent of my job involved photography. This was many years before 9/11 and all that, so I'm not sure if laws have changed. At the time, our paper's legal counsel told us that generally, any photography on public property is OK. Even photographing something that IS private property or resides on private property (as long as you're standing on public property) was by and large ok. In other words, photos of Terri Hatcher getting undressed in a hotel room would be ok, as long as she left the blind open enough to be photographed from the street! Of course, this may no longer be legal, what with expectations of privacy and all. lol

While on the job, the only times I remember getting really hassled were: Once at a school playground (sorted that out by showing my card to a supervising teacher, she actually called the paper to verify); Also, once at a shopping mall (mall management had ok'd me being on their private property to shoot photos for a Christmas supplement, but an overzealous security guy wouldn't call to check that it was ok, and actually tore the camera out of my hands, damaged it and ripped the film out. The mall settled out of court on that one!!)

Oh, and of course RCMP are notorious for hassling any photographer even near an accident or crime scene, or pretty much near them at all. Try taking photos of an officer who is out snagging motorists with a radar/laser gun and see what I mean! I actually grabbed a great photo of an officer kind of smiling/smirking as he lined up a car in his sights. I grabbed the photo (about 30 feet away), turned around and heard running footsteps behind me. He demanded my film, I refused and said I'd relinquish it to the courts if it came to that. After a lengthy "discussion" during which I thought I'd be cuffed and hauled away, he let it go. The pic ran front page, but I was treated rather coldly by the entire detachment after that. Ah well. :rolleyes:

Apologies for the length of this post, but hopefully it entertained one or two people. :D And as I said before, if anyone has information on the current state of photographers' rights, please do share!

Mark-777
2006-01-27, 07:45 PM
I have gone to Central America several times to build homes for the sponserd children for World Vision ( it's all voluntiers) and we were warned not to take pictures of kids anywhere not just the sponserd kids. And if you wanted a picture of an adult you should ask first . We recievied responses from some people that were horified at the thought and others became instant super models:cool:
In the larger cities the kids would ask you to take there picture and then ask for money.

classicsat
2006-01-29, 01:26 PM
I don't know about other plavces, but photographing the NYC transit system (at least without proper credentials) is illegal, or at least strongly frowned upon, and will earn you the rath of MTA security.