: 9200 Questions for those looking to buy or rent

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20

westmanguy
2006-11-11, 10:17 PM
I am buying a 9200 very soon, so I have a few questions.

The programming guide, looks: is it call-sign or do we get images to (crossing fingers for images of networks), does everyone get the picture pushed in the corner when viewing the guide. Does this depend on the TV?

Does it have "Favourites" option. Where I select the channels I subscribe to.

it says 180 hours SD, 25 hours HD. Does this mean the 180 h. SD converts into 25 hours HD. Or is the space for HD on top of that (doubt it...)

Setting a program. Is it as simple as going in the guide and selecting record on a program listed?

Can I set a series record where it records the new episode of Lost everyweek on CTV Toronto HD - will it know if its new or old?

Does it have Tivo functionality like: Type in an actors name and it records anything that actor is in? That type of deal.

I read something like since it gets 2 feeds you can have 2 channels run side by side. My thing for that would be during breaking news I would line up FOX News and CNN together? How does that work? Does it depend on the TV? Does the audio scramble over each other. Can I select the audio I want played.

So far thats all I can think of. Thanks in advanced for replys.

Also a pic of the 9200 EPG link would be nice..

congo
2006-11-12, 08:40 AM
I think I can answer some of these questions...

I am buying a 9200 very soon, so I have a few questions.

The programming guide, looks: is it call-sign or do we get images to (crossing fingers for images of networks), does everyone get the picture pushed in the corner when viewing the guide. Does this depend on the TV?

In pretty well every menu option, including the guide, you will have a video image in the top right hand corner. I seem to remember there may be a setting of the guide that you can eliminate the picture.

Does it have "Favourites" option. Where I select the channels I subscribe to.

When selecting 'All Subs" in the guide, you will see only what you subscribe to. However, all of the premium pay-per-view type programming is still visible. There is the ability to create a "Favourites" list that I believe will hide the PPV if you don't include them.

it says 180 hours SD, 25 hours HD. Does this mean the 180 h. SD converts into 25 hours HD. Or is the space for HD on top of that (doubt it...)

It's one or the other or a combination of each.

Setting a program. Is it as simple as going in the guide and selecting record on a program listed?

Pretty well. You will have the option of creating a single entry or set up a recurring timer. For the recurring timer, you can also set all or only new episodes.

Can I set a series record where it records the new episode of Lost everyweek on CTV Toronto HD - will it know if its new or old?

Yes, it's called VuPass but it sometimes gets confused. This has been my experience. What I tend to do is to set the channel and say to record all episodes. I seem to have the best luck with this.

Does it have Tivo functionality like: Type in an actors name and it records anything that actor is in? That type of deal.

Yes. I haven't tried the actor thing but it works pretty good using the show title.

I read something like since it gets 2 feeds you can have 2 channels run side by side. My thing for that would be during breaking news I would line up FOX News and CNN together? How does that work? Does it depend on the TV? Does the audio scramble over each other. Can I select the audio I want played.

It has picture in picture but not a side by side thing like you are suggesting. The audio will only play for the main picture though.

So far thats all I can think of. Thanks in advanced for replys.

Also a pic of the 9200 EPG link would be nice..

Sorry don't have that and couldn't find anything on Google. Go to a Bellworld, they will show it.

Congo

westmanguy
2006-11-12, 05:25 PM
Thanks alot for all that info Congo.

Really helpful!

I have made my decision and am buying one this Tuesday at Visions.

Once again Thanks!

Q
2006-11-12, 11:47 PM
some things not answered.

there are 6 modes for the guide. 3 of them have the picture in the top right hand corner.
There is no call sign images in the guide or anywhere else.

I believe there are 6 fav. list. 2 are defaults and can not be erased. The other 4 you can make.

I thought it was 250 hrs. SD. As already stated it is either one or combination of both. SD can vary depending on which channel is recorded.

YOu can set to record only new episodes. For Lost it would work. SOme shows don't work.

Yes it has some functionality like TIVO. You can do a VUpass on title or description. The key is that the actor/ress is listed in the description. usually it only list a couple maybe 3.

A few other feautures is the dual tuner which allows wathing while recording.
TV2 output to output to other TV's

Joe

westmanguy
2006-11-13, 12:01 AM
Ok 250 hours SD? wow.

The website advertises 180 hours SD converted to 25 hours HD

Then Dish Network website says 200 hours SD and 30 hours HD.

I am royally confused!

Q
2006-11-13, 12:04 AM
It really doesn't matter too much as it depends more which SD channel you record. I thought when I bought it , it was 250 but I can be wrong. It is 25HD hours. The US one I think has a bigger HD.

2006-11-13, 01:57 AM
It depends on the amount of compression on the SD channels. The drives are the same size. Some providers just "push the envelope" with regard to marketing. There is no "accurate answer" as the bitrate does vary with channel.

Whygee
2006-11-28, 06:38 PM
Hi,

just a quick question about the 9200: Can I choose the channels that are displayed in the EPG ?

In other words, do I have to scroll thru all the channels I don't suscribe to?

I'm currently with Videotron and this is quite annoying. With my old BEV receiver you could make groups, favorites, etc. That would be an improvement over Videotron...

Thanks.

westmanguy
2006-11-28, 06:48 PM
There is a few options:

All channels guide function
Just subscribed authorized guide function (although this sticks you with PPV titles too)

And a few options for personalized guide.

This is not from personal experience, just past info I got in this thread.

Cheers! :)

Battscrew
2006-11-28, 08:57 PM
Hi, just a quick question about the 9200: Can I choose the channels that are displayed in the EPG ?
Yes you can customize

trellaine
2006-11-28, 09:54 PM
Yep I have the default guides as stated above. One just with the channels I sub to minus all the JUNK and advertising channels. One for the my NHL CI channels. And I will probably break the guide down even more to just my HD channels on another faves list. :)

jxmaster
2006-12-07, 01:22 PM
Is there any extra monthly fee I have to pay for HDTV channels?

barter
2006-12-07, 02:51 PM
Yes, you have to subscribe (and pay)to receive HD channels.

vmpv
2006-12-08, 10:11 AM
Yes, you have to subscribe (and pay)to receive HD channels.

That is not entirely true. There are some free channels such as CBC, CTV and SRC. Then there are free previews of the specialty channels. If you subscribe to the Movie networks then one of the HD channels will be available. Finally the 9200 is capable of OTA channels so if you live in an area with digital OTA then there are lots of those available as well. I don't subscribe to the HD pack as it would cost too much to add the package to my account, so I get most of my HD via OTA

fuzzai
2006-12-11, 03:26 PM
Hey guys,

Currently im renting a 9200, cuz last year they would not let me buy the darn thing, ppl could only rent.

So i rented one. Now i can either keep renting, or buy it. 600 to buy, or i can keep it without returning it and pay 500...woohoo 100$ off. lol

Question, i noticed this mpeg 4 stuff in another thread.
Sooo....would i be better off to keep renting this unit, or buy it?

If i buy it will they upgrade me to an mpeg 4 receiver? or what happens?

Bell is tricky, and i know how they are with existing customers, you got it, to bad no deal for you! lol is what they say.

so just looking for some input i guess, buy or wait?

fuzzai
2006-12-15, 02:25 PM
Can anyone shed some light on me? I went trought the search on this forum, found lots of stuff on Mpeg4. but i just wanna know if...

I get a new 9200 Mpeg2, WILL bell be offering a free upgrade, or will i ahve to pay for a new receiver??? They can't possibly make me pay again could they?

eugene
2006-12-15, 02:34 PM
Actually you do get CBC-HD and CTV-HD for free, as well as access to some PPV-HD channels.

sonny 2
2006-12-16, 03:03 PM
yes you can do that and also watching it on the sd tv it will actually look better...

eugene
2006-12-18, 10:34 AM
This is just my opinion, but I would highly recommend renting the 9200. When the installer came and hooked up mine last week and even he said the 9200 experiences a lot of problems (much more than the 5900). If you rent it, there's no worry about replacing it, whereas you only have the 1yr warranty if you buy. Also, as has been posted on other threads, everything will be switching to MPEG4 which means a new receiver is needed. Granted, this isn't going to happen in the next year, but at least when it does happens, if you're renting there's no need to go out and buy a new receiver.

I know I will have paid off this receiver in 2.5 yrs (at $20/month), but odds are there'll be a new receiver around by then; and I also have the peace of mind if it ever breaks down.

fuzzai
2006-12-18, 11:39 AM
Eugene, if you rent, yes if it breaks you can get it replaced whenever.
But if you buy, you get 1 year warranty, and if you pay for the dishcare, you'd still be covered, and for 5$ a month to cover all receivers and remotes in the house. for our house it would be a steal....