: How about All-Digital SHAW?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

vjose78
2005-01-03, 11:59 PM
But sometimes you have to spend some to make some, that's what investments are all about. If Shaw is serious about going all digital then they have to upgrade or give every digital boxes and scrap analog completely.

ertyu
2005-01-04, 01:08 PM
Ok. I'll bite. Any particular reason why?

Don't need silly cable boxes everywhere. Don't have an extra layer of compression artifacts.

robman
2005-02-07, 10:00 PM
I think they'll go all digital over time (when a majority of customers own a STB) or when the technology (as in cheaper more functional STBs) allow most subs to buy one or when Telus/Sask Tel/MTS start eating their lunch.

I wouldn't guess that those services will be pushing Shaw into going all-digital all that quickly.. I tend to prefer the digital channels on Shaw to the analog ones, but even the analog ones look far better than SaskTel Max does. The blurriness and compression artifacts on that service are pretty terrible..

idearat
2005-02-08, 05:16 PM
What's the big attraction of an all-digital lineup? Don't mean to bait; I really do wonder.

On my analogue TV the analogue channels are almost all wonderful quality, as are some of the digitals... but others, notably the timeshifts, are horrific due no doubt to over-compression. I'm recording the Amazing Race finale on my dvd-r from 135 tonight because I can get it at 6pm, but last time I tried that I gave up watching half-way through for the lousy quality and recorded it later on 8.

Is it that the analogues look much worse on digital sets? I can't imagine 135 would look much better.

Besides, though I only have one tv I use straight cable in to my dvd-r so I can record one channel and watch another. I'd really hate to have to give that up, or deal with 2 cable boxes in 1 room.

marko
2005-02-08, 05:32 PM
Idearat, I guess it depends on your TV. I went from a 27" CRT to a 47" rear projection. On the 27 I had no problem with the analog channels. On the 47 the analog channels look crappy...and even worse when run through the 6208. To be honest I'm not really too impressed with the digital channels on the 47. The HD channels on the other hand look fantastic.

PokerChip
2005-02-08, 06:12 PM
What's the big attraction of an all-digital lineup? Don't mean to bait; I really do wonder.

1. Look at it this way. On a 6208 PVR, you can record about 50 hours of digital TV whereas you'll fit about half as many hours if your source is analog. An all digital lineup would "expand" the space available to record, or allow me to archive more shows for longer periods of time.

2. On my TV, there is NO QUESTION that digital looks much better than analog.

3. Because of compression (see number 1), it would save large amounts of bandwidth, thus enabling the addition of more services ( i.e. NEW HD CHANNELS).

idearat
2005-02-08, 09:47 PM
pcouture, thanks. I can certainly see the benefit of 1 and 3 (though I don't have HD yet, so maybe I haven't seen the TRUE benefit ;) ), but only if the digital SDs are like the best I now get, rather than the worst.

And I'll still miss the direct feed to my dvd-r. I guess a 6412 is one answer, but doesn't sound like the UI is anywhere near as polished as my dvd-r for playback options etc., and a second cable box in the same room is problematic. (I know it's likely they'll duplicate the analogues in digital at first, but until they get rid of them they don't recover any bandwidth.)

I'm not really against all-digital; I know it's the future, and I do see the point. Just hope they do it right, and not replace good analogue channels with lousy overcompressed digitals.

don123
2005-02-09, 02:51 PM
I would rather watch some good quality channels then a lot of crappy ones

idearat
2005-02-09, 04:54 PM
Update: I was watching the timeshifted Amazing Race I recorded yesterday, and about an hour in I suddenly noticed the ad that was on was beautiful, vibrant, crisp. I paid attention to the PQ after that, and could see none of the macroblocking or other problems I'd seen in the past.

So in short, after all my b*ing yesterday about 135 being so lousy, last night it was just fine. Go figure... maybe a conscientious Shaw employee was reading and fixed my feed?? ;)

shawguy
2005-02-10, 12:47 AM
Apparently Shaw does read these forums as alot of the errors we complain about do just "magically" get fixed.

Shawguy

nakedape
2005-02-11, 07:37 PM
pcouture, thanks. I can certainly see the benefit of 1 and 3 (though I don't have HD yet, so maybe I haven't seen the TRUE benefit ;) ), but only if the digital SDs are like the best I now get, rather than the worst.

The timeshifted channels look like crap because they have to be compressed so much to make room for the analoque channels. If they get rid of the analoque they don't need to compress the digital as much. So in theory the digital channels with less compression will look just as good as the best you see now or dare I say it, maybe even better.

idearat
2005-02-11, 08:46 PM
Yes, assuming the compression is actually done at Shaw's end, and that they choose to use the recovered bandwidth to uncompress existing channels rather than just add a bunch of new ones. Though if the new ones were HD most on this forum would no doubt be happy with that tradeoff...

bellerophon
2005-02-12, 04:07 AM
I think the timeshifts look bad because they are all either taken from an analog source or were changed to analog then changed back to digital. This makes them look fuzzy. I would expect a more blocky effect if it was due to over compression. I wonder if they want them to look bad so we will watch the analog locals instead?

slayt
2005-03-06, 12:01 AM
I hope that the digital conversions comes soon. I just jumped from Bev and bought a 6412. The HD is nice and being able to record 2 shows and watch a recorded one at same time almost makes up the lack of HD channels.

But, holy crap the picture on the analog channels is awful! I think rabbit ears could not look much worse.
Satalite was 100% better than this crap.
The reason I jumped was that the duel tuner HD pvr from Bev does not exist yet and when it comes out I think it will be at least 1500.00.

SHAW, PLEASE fix this crappy analog problem!

gameshow
2005-04-10, 01:29 AM
Shawguy do you have any information when we will get all digital channel line up in British Columbia?

Sith
2005-04-10, 03:32 PM
Don't hold your breath.

Were still waiting on additional HD and that hasn't happened nor has additional digital channels ie timeshifts. An all digital lineup is probably something they haven't even thought about yet as this is Shaw that we are talking about.

I would love it to happen quick but things just don't happen quick with these guys.

ChrisA
2005-06-26, 04:20 PM
As far as I know Shaw is way behind upgrading and don't seem to give a rats ass about their customers anyway. Apparently there was supposed to be an all digital line-up in Vancouver soon but i'm not sure if they got it yet or not.
Some of us have 4 TV's hooked up to cable, with two with digital recievers, it would cost us a fortune to upgrade the rest, and after two new vehicles, and a boat, we really don't have or want to spent 1500 bucks on Digital boxes :mad:

ChrisA
2005-06-26, 04:24 PM
I hope that the digital conversions comes soon. I just jumped from Bev and bought a 6412. The HD is nice and being able to record 2 shows and watch a recorded one at same time almost makes up the lack of HD channels.

But, holy crap the picture on the analog channels is awful! I think rabbit ears could not look much worse.
Satalite was 100% better than this crap.
The reason I jumped was that the duel tuner HD pvr from Bev does not exist yet and when it comes out I think it will be at least 1500.00.

SHAW, PLEASE fix this crappy analog problem! Analog in Fort Frances has almost digital quality picture! :D

Uwish
2005-06-26, 09:34 PM
Shaw has no plans to go all digital, at least not in 05/06.

lhsonic
2005-06-27, 02:22 AM
quite honestly, I like watching analog channels much more than the digital channels becasue of the PQ, digital channels are just so compressed. And if anything, Shaw would SAVE money switching to all-digital becasue of digital channels use much less bandwidth than the analog channels.