: TMN-HD - Major Macroblocking

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

nfitz
2006-05-19, 11:19 AM
Though to be fair, I've noticed the last episode of Big Love I deleted was 5% (been on vacation, so I'm running a few weeks behind ... PVR is very full, no room for experiments! ... Need to spend more of my life watching TV! :-). Though I've also been running through the last few ERs on CTV, and each and every one has removed 6% of space.

Interesting question about the placeholder ... I'll have to figure out when that is on for a significant amount of time (MPIX HD would be good one to test that on, as they air it longer ... but I don't have that channel).

Nick

2006-05-19, 11:24 AM
Yeah, the bitrate seems inconsistent. Some items are roughly 4%, while others are 5% as mentioned in one of my previous posts were I deleted a 2 hour movie and gained back 10%.

I didn't make much of it until last night when Mean Girls had the kind of compression artifacts that were discussed at the beginning of this thread.

I'll let you know what I find out.

I've just set my PVR up to record from 10:30 - 1:30. That should give a good indication.

2006-05-19, 03:30 PM
3 hours of the M-HD logo used 8% of my drive, so that's about 1/2 of "normal".

Den
2006-05-20, 10:39 AM
Some other issues that may affect compression are the black bars on scope (2.35:1) movies (but this doesn't apply to Sopranos and Big Love) and the quick cutting of commercials on network TV (and there's a new "scene" every 30 seconds during a commerical break).

otown47
2006-05-20, 11:01 AM
I watched Stealth last night and while there was a little macroblocking it really wasn't too noticable....for a movie with a lot of action scenes in it. The PQ was a little soft.

From time to time I switched over to the MPIXHD movie.....a scifi move, I didn't catch the title. The PQ was really good and there was no macroblocking although not much action either...

Danster
2006-05-20, 08:09 PM
The opening Feature Presentation logo was burping, macroblocking and so on. Once Stealth started, it was alright. Here in NB, it's always during the announcement "And now, your feature presentation" that it seems to macroblock lately.

otown47
2006-05-20, 08:41 PM
The opening Feature Presentation logo was burping, macroblocking and so on. Once Stealth started, it was alright. Here in NB, it's always during the announcement "And now, your feature presentation" that it seems to macroblock lately.

Haven't noticed that here...

gmd
2006-05-24, 03:17 PM
Macroblocking is annoying, and if I had seen it on TMN, I would have complained about it.

The fact that I have Star Choice must help...

:)

-gmd

otown47
2006-06-04, 08:41 AM
I watch StarWars III last night on TMNHD and I've got to say that was one of the best HD presentations I've ever seen.

The the PQ was fantastic, great colour and sharp picture. There was absolutely NO macroblocking even with all the action sequemces. The 5.1 audio was amazing, all 6 channels were encoded correctly.

Well done Astral/Rogers.....

BrianL11
2006-06-04, 10:33 PM
re: Star Wars, I happened to have this one on DVD, so I did an A/B comparision between the HD broadcast and the DVD.

The HD broadcast was certainly sharper and more detailed than the DVD, but it did not seem to be a blowout winner on my 42" LCD Projection screen (e.g. I wonder if a casual viewer like my spouse would even care/notice the difference).

Any other A/B comparision opinions?