: List of Rogers NB 6208 Issues
2004-10-29, 04:33 PM
FOR THE NB PEOPLE.
I'm making up a list of 6208 shortcomings (as per 57's suggestion) and would like your input. If you have any peeves, post them here and once I have enough info, I'll gather all the problems and send it to my project manager.
As 57's new suggestion, which is a good idea, I now have a Want, Booboo's and Wish list. I will update this post each time someone adds something new.
1. Takes a bit too much time to go from one channel to another.
2. Not able to record a whole program when you decide it might be interesting to watch. Ex. 10 minutes in the show, you decide to record thinking it will record from the time you started watching till the end. Unfortunately, it dumps everything from the beginning and starts where you press Rec.
3. The FF/REW are not stable. Somtimes they really fly through the program and other times, even if I select FF4, it looks like it's barely going at twice the speed.
4. Watching the 480i donw converted through composite cables, the guide isn't viewable that way.
5. Recording problem: the default overides the same program instead of adding it anyways.
1. Scalable PIP when viewing the guide. All the DCT's from 2000 and up, have the hardware capacity.
1. Would love the new IPG that everybody keeps talking about.
2. Would like the hard drive to spin down when the unit is off. (minimise wear and tear)
3. Would like an option where we can opt not to output Dolby Digital 2.0 to our receiver over the digital output.
2004-10-29, 04:50 PM
The one thing I've noticed is when you are watching HD content down-coverted to 480i (I was testing how the 6208 downconverts for recording to VHS) through composite connections, the guide isn't viewable. The program looks OK but regardless of what you try the guide will not display. It does display on all analog and normal SD digital stations.
2004-10-29, 05:12 PM
I think this is right. Somewhere in the guide that came with your box, I think it does mention that you'll see the guide only through component video and not composite.
2004-10-29, 05:26 PM
I just find it odd that they can't make the guide work though. Doesn't seem like rocket-science.
There's no reason you can't list it as a "want" in your list.
You may wish to divide the list into "issues" first, then "wants", perhaps even add some "like to haves"....
2004-11-02, 12:52 PM
I have the following settings on my DCT-6208 box and I can see the guide on either Composite or Component connections - I downconvert to a 480i component connection for my TV and also have the SVHS connection going to my TIVO.
In the configuration menu .. (reach configuration menu by turning power off on box and then within a couple of seconds press select)
TV - 4:3 Pan n Scan
YrBrPr Output - 480i
I find with these DCT6208 settings I can see the guide either way.. even on HIDEF channels. If you are outputting to a true hi-def TV at 480p, 720 or 1080 - the guide will not display except through the component connections [on high def channels only].
2004-11-03, 11:37 AM
i agree with your list with these additions.
needs a dual tuner and a bigger hard drive.
wait that's the 6412, sorry.
2004-11-21, 10:12 AM
I just switched off of *C and I got the 6208 for free!!!
Needless to say, I am already wanting the dual tuner capability. The only way to really use the 6208 is to start recording shows and then watch the recorded shows. Not too bad but not nearly as convenient as a dual tuner would be.
I also tried testing the record back to the start of the show thing and it did not work for me either. I am guessing that if one rewound to the start of the show and then pressed record that it would probably get it. However, they should have it as an option and not a manual extra step.
I asked the authorized agent/dealer that I went through and he said that if the 6412 was available soon that it should not be a big deal for him to work something out for me. Sooooo, here is the good question. Has anyone heard anything further in regards to an ETA for the 6412?
2004-11-21, 12:51 PM
It is being tested at the moment. Earlier this fall, the ETA was before Christmas, now, it's "Soon" meaning- we don't know yet.
Keep watching this thread. As soon as either myself or theHulk hear something, we post it for everybody to know.
2004-11-21, 02:43 PM
Sweet. I will be waiting with baited breath.
going back to 6208 defects,
when setting up a program to record,t he default is 'save 1', if you have a program still on the HD the next time it comes time to record the next episode, instead of deleting the old one and replacing it with new one, it will not record the new one because there is already one saved.
2004-11-22, 08:42 AM
You mean if I set each show of a daily reoccuring show for say only 2 or 3 days in a row that the 2nd and 3rd schedulings will not happen?
I have a few shows of Hi5 for my little guy set to record on Tues, Wed and Thurs this week. If it works properly for me I will post back. If what I am understanding is what you are saying.
you have to make sure you manually set the save option to save all, otherwise it won't record the new one
2004-12-05, 08:11 PM
I have found another problem with the 6208. Let's say you started watching a channel. 10 minutes later, your wife walks in the room ans she want to know who killed Mr Burns for example, you rewind as far as you can go but careful. If you force it too much past where it started 10 minutes later, the picture will freeze and your box will hang. I did that on CBC in SD analog while watching Rudolf. The box wouldn't go live anymore and the only way to get out of the hanging, was to change channel. Which then bugs the wife cause you just lost all previous recorded material. Try it and let me know if you can reproduce the booboo. If so, then I'll add it as a problem in the sticky.
2004-12-05, 09:09 PM
I tried it and there was no problem on my unit. My firmware version is 7.11. I did note that after a few times of rewinding the show that there were a few seconds at the start of the buffer that jsut magically disappeared. Not a big deal but still wierd.
Also, in reference to the recording of shows issue also noted above, I never had that problem when I tested it on HiFive for my son.
While I am typing, any further news on the 6412?
2004-12-06, 09:15 AM
You probably didn't force it enough. After writing post #14 last night, I tried deleting a 5 hour program that I had taped 2 weeks ago. My box wouldn't delete it once we reached the point where it asks us if we want to delete it or not. I had to hit Menu then DVR and finally select the program I wanted to delete and select the X for delete.
As for the 6412, last time I checked with the PM, they were testing it in Ontario on the feed that "feeds" NB. Initially, the plan was to have the box ready in time for the Christmas season but now, nobody knows for sure. I just tried calling but she wasn't in her office.
Also, it seems like we won't be able to use 453-1000 anymore to access ROGERS. The number is disconnected as of today.
2004-12-06, 10:18 AM
In regards to the number, when I called it on Friday it was gone... Probably been gone for a while now and we just didn't know it.
When you say force it, what do you mean? I rewound it at least 2 dozen times and at full rewind speed (rew4). Not once did it bugger up on me.
Let me know exactly what you want me to try and I will give it a go.
Thanks about the 6412. Here is for hoping!
2004-12-06, 11:02 AM
Once you hit the place where it restarts, keep pressing the rewind button none stop, like-press-presss-press-press-press-press-press-press. The reason I did that once was because I was able to get 30 seconds more of recorded show. However, it also caused my machine to hang on that channel.
I called Thursday afternoon and it was still active. Do you like their new interactive menu? It's alright until you have to start pressing numbers again. I kind like it when the guy says " I'm sorry, my mistake" when you enter a wrong number or answer to his questions.
2004-12-06, 11:56 AM
I just found out about this forum, so here it goes:
1. I would like the hard drive to spin down when the unit is off. That's going to wear out the bearings in the hard drive after a couple of years.
2. I would like an option where I can opt not to output Dolby Digital 2.0 to me receiver over the digital output. My preivious DCT-2000 did this (in fact I had to explicitly turn on DD output when there was a channel that supported it)
3. While watching a 4:3 program on a 16:9 channel (such os ONMI1), I have to switch the box off, enter the setup menu and change the TV type to 4:3 pan-and-scan, or else I get a small image in the middle of the screen surrounded by black bars. I then have to go through the same process to set it back again so I can watch CSI in widescreen. A simple button on the screen somewhere would be really nice. I don't have an HDTV set, but I like to watch things in widescreen. They obviously don't think enough people in NB watch OMNI1 to offer it in an SD format.
4. Those ads on the left hand side of the screen are annoying. I give Rogers $23/month for that box, can't they give me an extra 1/2 hour on the guide?
5. I'd love it for the ethernet port to be enabled. I can already copy the shows to my PC over the firewire port, but a direct ethernet link would be so much easier.
2004-12-06, 12:33 PM
Thanks Danster. I'll give it a try that way later tonight.
BigJimmy, from what I can tell fromt he pictures on Prevue.com, the I-Guide will fix most of the guide issues. Whenever it gets to us in NB that is.
I totally agree on the hard drive spindown. More from a noise rather than live expectancy perspective. Most drives today are capable of running for a VERY long time between failures. I noticed that they have the Seagate drives in them. If they are the FDB equipped drives, then I would not expect and trouble from these units for enough years that you or Rogers will probably have changed the unit for a better one, like the 6412.
I don't have an HD capable TV (yet), so I can't relate on the HD aspect viewing issues. If it happens the way you say, it would make my wifes head turn like in the Exorcist. She wants things to work easy and fast. If they don't, she won't use it or keep it.