: Star Choice Customer Service - Good & Bad - Post Comments Here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32

QCK
2009-04-12, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info lonnie. In hdtvi's case wouldn't a loose dish be covered?

hdtvi
2009-04-12, 12:44 AM
QCK, Lonnie is correct about what may be covered and the technicians do have some latitude depending on the situation.

In my case a brace was added that should hold the dish more securely. I paid for the brace, *C paid for the service call. (I didn't want to move the dish)
The technician also verified that my signal strength was back to it's previous levels.

lonnie
2009-04-14, 03:12 PM
as another example we sometimes find dishes mounted on wobbly poles in the back yard or rotten wood under dishes mounted on the roof and if we can't move the dish to a better location due to line of sight or customer preference, that would be noted on the work order and the customer might have to pay for the next service call to aim the dish since the installer can't warranty that it will be good for the next 90 days. we don't get paid for the service call if it doesn't hold together for at least 3 months.

okanagan1
2009-06-10, 03:33 PM
Called in to CSR yesterday to check out serial nos. of a couple of used receivers I was going to buy - phone answered by live person after 2 rings - couldn't believe it :D Is this the norm??

Also, does anyone know if you are changing the siding on your house and need to remove the dish temporarily, will Shaw send a technician to realign the dish at no charge or will there be a charge?

bubbles
2009-06-10, 06:16 PM
when I had it 3 years ago, I cancelled it because it sucked.

lonnie
2009-06-11, 12:29 AM
most customers seem to be getting a free service call or pay at the most $25 when the dish needs to be re-aimed after roofers or siders have been there. you might want to call before the crew puts it back up themselves, they never get the mast level which would make it much easier for us to aim the dish later.
if you have your cables coming up in to the attic now and your dish is mounted on the shingles, i would suggest installing a commdeck while the roofers have the shingles off. it looks very similar to your roof vents and the roofers can shingle right around it like any other vent or chimney stack. after the roofers are done we take 4 bolts out, find the cables coiled up under the cap, bolt the cap back down with a mast on top, mount the dish, aim and hook up the cables. then you've got a good looking solid mount that will never leak and many years down the road if your roof needs shingles again they won't have to take the dish off.

MikeDRiley
2009-06-22, 08:14 PM
couldn't believe it Is this the norm??
I kinda doubt it: I've got a few things to reconfigure, and today's 1st call to Service got me a "16 to 36 minutes" wait message, at 1 pm. Now at 6 pm, the on-hold estimate has gone to "46 to 1 hour and 6 minutes". That's uncanny and disgusting for any kind of service.

Bent
2009-06-23, 06:15 PM
try opting for a French CSR...
(any I've spoken to are fully bilingfual)

HiDefBob
2009-07-06, 07:45 PM
My DSR 530 is failing. I have had excellent service regarding this problem from the day I first reported it less than a week ago.
1. The tech who made the original call quickly diagnosed the problem as most likely a corrupted hard drive. (It all started with a message to "Ask Jim" ... which triggered a call from Tech Support the same day).
2. Scheduled a factory reset (since I had a couple of unwatched recordings I had not viewed). The call came right on the scheduled time. The tech quickly stepped me through the procedure.
3. Scheduled a tech to come to the house to check signal for any line problems or dish alignment problems. Tech called that evening to reschedule at my convenience for the next day. He quickly determined that my signal strength was excellent, their were no issues with cables or my switch box.
4. When the factory reset did not solve the problem (even new issues arose) I called Shaw Tech support again. A replacement DSR 530 was immediately ordered with no hastles. One will be here in 7-10 days with only a shipping charge and a very small monthy one receiver fee. Replacement of a receiver that is 4 1/2 years old with a few thousand (yes, thousand) hours on it.
5. Through every contact with this issue the person was professional, very knowledgeable and courteous. I give Shaw Direct an A+ on this one!

I am extremely happy with their service and would recommend Shaw Direct to anyone. I cannot say the same for Bell TV!

HiDefBob
2009-07-06, 07:49 PM
There is usually a message that allows you to schedule a call back if there is a long wait time (such as 25-35 minutes). You do not lose your place in line. I have used this service several times. It works great ... you do not have to stay on hold and they call back with in the time announced.

MikeDRiley
2009-07-06, 07:59 PM
... the on-hold estimate has gone to "46 to 1 hour and 6 minutes".
Follow up: I called at 1 am and got a CSR in 30 seconds flat. Too bad I don't like to stay up that late to make phone calls...

bellybuster
2009-07-12, 05:19 PM
I've found Star Choice CS to be superior to competitors with only one weak point - taking orders for Pay Per Views. The fact they will not take orders via connection between receiver to cell phone seems odd as satellite TV is intended to service remote areas and permanant land phone lines should not be expected. But haveing to call up to order would not be an issue if it did not take 45 minutes in queue to order a movie, with the customer paying $1 extra for that service each time and then the ordered event or movie not being activiated each instance.

The rest of the CS experience is great. This part stinks.

dibbs
2009-07-13, 12:15 AM
Would like any info about switching from bell to starchoice. How is the reception? What is customer service like? How are the movie channels with their reception? I am currently thinking about switching to Starchoice. I would like Hd channels and Bell came out and said no my trees and leaves are in the way of the signal. Also have major problems with some channels freezing (302)Movie Excess. Bell does not seem to have the answers for me.

kcowan
2009-07-13, 01:04 PM
Would like any info about switching from bell to starchoice. How is the reception? What is customer service like? How are the movie channels with their reception? I am currently thinking about switching to Starchoice. I would like Hd channels and Bell came out and said no my trees and leaves are in the way of the signal. Also have major problems with some channels freezing (302)Movie Excess. Bell does not seem to have the answers for me.
Depending on where you live, the path to the satellite is more important than anything else for you. Choose the service with the least interference from your trees.

Momorider
2009-07-13, 02:13 PM
I am almost certain that Shaw Direct would be worse they have an even lower inclination to their satellites.

dibbs
2009-07-13, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I live in Quebec. Lower Laurentians.Any opinions about basic receivers. We don't want a pvr?

Jimbo54
2009-07-16, 06:12 PM
I have been a SC customer for a very long time...I find the customer service much better now than a few years ago...

Recently I came upon 2 DSR 530's and 3 DSR 505's which I got for free....Some were damaged...in fact the cases were all dented..front panel broken...

Called SC to see if I could activate them...all but one cleared. When I hooked them up the 2 DSR 530's did not work...I was expecting to be out of luck entirely. But the CSR suggested I register them, so SC sent me 2 working DSR 530 for just the shipping fee...no questions asked....

So I now have 2 brand new HD receivers...and 2 PVRs...for only about $30 or so shipping..

....wow...

chillonhill
2009-07-16, 06:31 PM
I had SC was loose signal in any heavy rain or tunderstorms and even in winter sometimes. where as my neighbour has bell and would still have reception during heavy rain when I didn't finally gave up and went with cable.
I still have a DSR 505 in top quality condition, probably try and sell it someday.

kcowan
2009-07-20, 09:56 AM
I bought 2x505 and 2x315 off craigslist. No problem registering them. CSR was surprised that 2 of them were never registered before. Third was still registered to another package but I am not complaining because it is full HD/Movies.

a1canuck
2009-07-21, 02:35 AM
I am almost certain that Shaw Direct would be worse they have an even lower inclination to their satellites.
in BC the bell satellites are WAY lower