: Wall Mounts

Pages : [1] 2

Wanderlustus
2012-03-19, 09:35 PM
Hi folks --

I recently left the world of CRT wonders and bought 19" and 32" flatties as replacements. Ideally, I'd like to have them both wall-mounted at minimal distance from the wall; not a lot of space in my wee house. All of the video inputs on the 19" (Dynex DX-19L200A12) are in back, so I'm thinking a swivel/tilt model would be best for this one, especially as it's the bedroom telly. The 32" (Dynex DX-32200A12) I'd like to have as flush to the wall as possible; tilting not a game-changer for me on this one. Oh yeah, the inputs for this model are behind the screen but on the side, if that makes sense.

Again all, I'm brand spanking new to the wall-mount game, so any advice would be grand. Cheers.

Danno100
2012-03-19, 10:18 PM
I would suggest doing a search on the internet for wall mounts. I found that FS and BB have them in the $150 range, but I've bought a number on-line for 1/4 that price and found them to be more than adequate.

To me this is a bit like monster cables, there are many overpriced mounts and the margins must be enormous.

It makes no sense to me to buy a wall mount for $149 when you can buy the Dynex 24" LCD for $149.

Shopbot dot ca is a website that can provide a variety websites that sell mounts starting at $20.

I remember my first plasma mount, $350. Total rip off in my opinion.

Wayne
2012-03-19, 11:33 PM
Monoprice (dot) com - assuming that we are now allowed to mention that name on this site. They sell mounts for aabout 20% of the price of FS and, IMHO, they are more sturdy.

Costa
2012-03-20, 12:04 AM
Tigerdirect is another alternative, and i would reccomend it over mono, to avoid expensive shipping costs and duties.

TechieFreak
2012-03-20, 01:20 AM
+1 For Monoprice. Even with "expensive" shipping costs, still at least half the price of anything available up here.

Danno100
2012-03-20, 07:09 AM
If you want a website, onlybestrated (dot) com is a Canadian site that sells mounts for as little at $15. They sell monoprice mounts as well. They also sell monoprice speakers. Prices are in CDN $, no duty! I've bought many items from them, fantastic pricing and great service.

Wanderlustus
2012-03-20, 10:27 AM
Thanks, folks. I've actually looked at all these sites and therein is my prob'. I've no experience of what brands/models would work best. Maybe I didn't pose my question correctly? Has been known to happen.

Totally hear that bit on the monster cables. Watched a Marketplace show about the very thing. Likely see one on wall mounts sometime soon, I guess.

:D

Danno100
2012-03-20, 10:32 PM
An articulating arm model is always useful. Pick a mount that matches the size of your monitor. Your TV will have mount holes that are either 100, 200, or more cm apart. Make sure the mount works with your TV, or has an adaptor plate. There are certain mounts that are very flat, and only tilt. In the end it is a matter of choice. Most are pretty good and should work.

Stilgar
2012-03-21, 10:49 AM
If you have an XS Cargo or Factory Direct store near you, they have great deals on many of the name brand (ie: Monster) wall mounts. My Sharp Aquos 32" is hanging very securely on a Monster brand mount I paid less than $50 for compared to what they charge at FS/BB.

Otherwise if you happen to live in the Toronto area, mosey down to the Pickering Flea Market some weekend and you'll find plenty of guys selling similar models highly discounted.

Wanderlustus
2012-03-23, 03:24 PM
Sorry folks, but am I missing something here? Are we not permitted to mention brand names on this site? :confused: All the info is helpful, but I'm really looking for brands that folks swear by.

jayoldschool
2012-03-23, 04:51 PM
You aren't missing anything. Order your mounts from monoprice. No on can touch their pricing. Their products are good quality. I use their mounts for my 50" LCD, and my theatre projector (along with miles of their cables...).

Wanderlustus
2012-03-25, 06:39 PM
Likely where I'll go in search, Jay'. Thanks for the help in this alles.

North_of_Calgary
2012-03-27, 11:31 AM
Agreed: monoprice is the best. Especially for cables, etc. Usually 10% of the marked up retail. Love it!

But when it comes to the mounts, there's huge mark up at the retailers. Go into FS or Visions and get a salesman to show you exactly what you want. Then write down the specs and model number and tell him the truth: "it's way too expensive in the store and you can get it for 1/3 of the price online". Likely they'll discount it considerably right away.

I've done that 3 times and immediately got 50% to 75% off.

Cockroach
2012-03-27, 04:09 PM
I have a MP articulated arm mount holding a 46" LCD to an entertainment unit(!) Generally satisfied with it given the price but bear in mind that some adjustments may be more limited than on other models. Rotation is adjustable in very small increments but tilt can only be done in 15 degree increments.

Wayne
2012-04-02, 12:22 AM
Sorry folks, but am I missing something here? Are we not permitted to mention brand names on this site? :confused: All the info is helpful, but I'm really looking for brands that folks swear by.Mounts are pretty basic items, just hunks of steel. Most 32" TVs are not too heavy so you can get away with a modest size mount. According to the Dynex manual that TV is just over 20 lbs and that may be including the stand which you will be removing. Just get an arm from Monoprice that supports more than 20 lbs and supports the VESA mounting pattern of your TV.

Wanderlustus
2012-04-02, 02:38 PM
Thanks again, all. Pretty much decided to get a couple of mounts from MP. Now, where's that stud-finder . . . :D

Wanderlustus
2012-04-03, 03:03 PM
Well folks, I decided not to go with the US dealer after all; the shipping/duty to New Brunswick defeated the savings. Ah well. I chose to go with Tiger D for a static mount for the 32", and a swivel-meister for the 19" from Only Best. Total, they'll run me just over 100 beans, and they'll arrive a little quicker than from Cali.

Beating a drum, here, but again . . . thanks for all the input. Cheers!

PPL4GOLF
2012-04-04, 03:56 PM
Bought a tilting mount...Nexxent brand from TSCC when on sale for $35. Really nice sturdy mount but the tilting feature makes it stick out a little more than a simple mount.

Also bought a cheap small mount from newegg with total came up to $26. It has the narrow configuration so it can mount my 40"/37" LCD ok but an older 42" plasma cannot because the holes are too far apart. It is one cheap looking mount with the string pull release. It mounts very flush to the wall however.

johnvan
2012-04-04, 05:47 PM
I picked up a flat mount from Ikea for $25, very basic but nice quick, simple install.

rhondor
2012-04-12, 08:52 PM
Hi. Need some help please.

I just bought a 60" Panasonic Plasma which I will mount above the fireplace (I know, I know.......) - it is the best spot for us. I read on the web that an articulating mount is handy for getting rear access to the TV for adding cables later, after installed. A local electronics store said that the weight will be too great and the torque when extended will cause problems, do I really know if the 2x4 studs are strong enough since it above the fireplace, are the studs properly supported, etc, etc.

Question: should I seriously consider an articulating mount or just go with the regular tilt?

Thanks.