: Dad shoots teen's laptop over Facebook post

Pages : [1] 2

BillytheGreek
2012-02-10, 01:18 PM
http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/dad-shoots-teen-s-laptop-over-facebook-post.html

A lesson to teenagers the world over. Never mess with a man in IT, especially when that man is your dad.

Tommy Jordanís 15-year-old daughter Hannah wrote a post on Facebook, saying how upset she was and how unfair her life was, given all the unpaid chores her parents made her do like laundry and dishes, and how they just in general made her life difficult.

*Warning, video contains coarse language. Finally a dad that I like, standing up to a spoil brat;)

kl1ujzRidmU

eljay
2012-02-10, 01:30 PM
"Maybe a few kids can take something away from this..., " wrote Tommy Jordan. "If you're so disrespectful to your parents and yourself as to post this kind of thing on Facebook, you're deserving of some tough love."
I watched the clip last night. Assuming it wasn't just a prank by some guy looking to score his own reality TV show, I think he's an idiot for:
- destroying a perfectly good laptop he had just spent good money ($130 or so) fixing and upgrading;
- using a handgun to do it (and telling his daughter she'll owe him for the bullets); and
- referring to the idiocy he was recording for public consumption as "tough love".

:rolleyes:

lima20
2012-02-10, 03:09 PM
This is funny....I want to shake this guys hand. This rings close to home for me, 15 yr old tennage daughter, doesn't like doing laundry, dishes and spends time texting and facebook with similar comments

Tezster
2012-02-10, 03:23 PM
I don't feel this is an effective parenting lesson, but it's great entertainment value :)

Jake
2012-02-10, 04:46 PM
Not sure what to say. If it gets the family talking good. If it drives her to drugs, alcohol and sex not so good. I can imagine how frustrated he is.

I have two kids but they are not teens yet. But I have learned to never judge parents. Especially if you have never walked a mile in their holster. :)

Simonizer
2012-02-10, 07:58 PM
Does the laptop still work? Maybe someone should just apply the latest software patch to it if it doesn't.:p

dezzpayne
2012-02-10, 09:08 PM
Now that it's gone viral he may be rethinking if this was a good idea. 3 million views.

lima20
2012-02-10, 09:24 PM
I didn't go to that extent, but I feel what the guy is going through. O

TECHNOKID
2012-02-10, 09:26 PM
I am all for strong discipline in the home but... Listened to the girl's post, listened to this guy and seen his attitude. I have a pretty good idea where the girl gets the pi$$ poor attitude. This guy is not parenting, he simply lost it and my hunch is this family is not over the drama, the worse is to come (who's gone kill who?). Not so sure about the negativity the step mom has on this girl either, numnut briefly speaks of the step mom and we do not know the entire story behind this all.

notsure
2012-02-11, 08:15 AM
If this is a joke / gag then it is funny. If this is legit, this guy doesn't have a clue about parenting and I'm sure his days of problems with his kid(s) aren't over by a long shot (pun intended!).

My 2 cents. :)

Ham.Clan
2012-02-11, 09:03 AM
Solving problems with a gun?
This sends the wrong message.

ta guy
2012-02-11, 05:49 PM
Here we go about the gun thing.I think he did good.

99semaj
2012-02-11, 06:12 PM
If he used a sledgehammer instead of a pistol, nobody would be talking about this.

ScaryBob
2012-02-11, 06:21 PM
A sledgehammer is more satisfying as well. You actually feel the impact and see little pieces flying all over (wear safety goggles.) (I've demolished things as part of construction projects, not because I was pissed, but it's still very "basic instinct.") As much as I agree about the kids PP attitude, I've got to think this guy is a real loose cannon (pun intended) as well. Who knows what, or who, he's going to put a bullet into next time he gets pissed.

TKG26
2012-02-11, 07:36 PM
wish he had flipped it over so we could see the other side.. see if those hollow points blew out the backside :)

audacity
2012-02-11, 07:39 PM
Apparently both children and adults can throw a temper tantrum.

TechieFreak
2012-02-14, 02:37 AM
Maybe it was a bit foolish to destroy a laptop in that fashion, and wasting that money. But anybody that has raised kids (let alone daughters) through the teenage years, can understand the frustration that this man feels. He is obviously at the end of his rope with this kid, and decided to take this action. I'm glad that he took it out on some inanimate object than the other unthinking option.

Hopefully his kid will indeed learn from this, and realize how easy she really had it. Grounding her is one thing, but as long as she now has a bit more free time (because she's no longer on Facebook), that he set her up with some volunteer work on the weekends, to help her see how easy she has it.

Mole
2012-02-14, 07:30 AM
If its not on TV it didn't happen,

USA! USA! we're exceptional we're exceptional!!!

Roadmagnet
2012-02-14, 05:16 PM
I heard he has some regrets now and if he had to do it over he would change a few things.
He said he wouldn't be smoking a cigarette in the video, he would be more careful about the words he used, like saying butt instead of a$$ and he would make sure his boots were clean.

Classof83
2012-02-15, 11:02 AM
Yeah, because you do want to make sure you use appropirate vocabulary and come across clean and well-dressed when you're shooting up your daughter's laptop!!!