: Be careful of what you post on social media

BillytheGreek
2012-02-02, 09:44 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/brit-pair-stopped-entering-us-over-twitter-jokes-033516586.html

Brit pair stopped from entering US over Twitter jokes

By Trevor Mogg | Digital Trends – Mon, 30 Jan, 2012

Two travelers from Britain were prevented from entering the US last week after Homeland Security officials feared one of the pair, 26-year-old Leigh Van Bryan, might follow through with one of his tweets. Prior to leaving the UK, Leigh had tweeted that he was going to “destroy America.”

I believe that most people still don't understand the impact of posting stupidities on social media... oh well live and learn eh?

timlocke
2012-02-02, 10:27 AM
It is so strange to me that the "land of the free" and the UK, one of the original homes of freedom of the individual have become like police states over that last 20 years or so. The UK with its ubiquitous surveillance cameras and the US with the Patriot Act and various other unconstitutional laws.

Why are these countries so scared an paranoid. 9/11 certainly called for a robust response but not for a decade of paranoia.

billpaidJr
2012-02-02, 11:32 AM
Well those high paid security people have to justify their job don't they. I'm not sure the ones planning on making real mayhem advertise it first on twitter.

talljak
2012-02-02, 12:51 PM
I think its over the top what happened, but is it not known that if you joke about anything terrorist related (in person or online) that security people will have a problem with you?

I would never dream of talking about anything terrorist related at an airport fact based or joking, because I know what can happen.
Is that over the top? Yes it is, but if you know what joking or talking about the terrorist theme can risk your arrest or worse why talk about it?

These policies need to change at security, but don't do it while trying to fly.

Dioneo
2012-02-02, 02:16 PM
It's easy to pass judgment on the UK and the U.S., but we've never been the victims of domestic terrorism either - FLQ crisis aside (and remember how heavy handed we got during that). That being said, it would take an especially humourless person to not understand that the tweets in question were harmless.

Talljack - I don't think it is well known that if you make jokes online it will come back to haunt you at security checkpoints. Especially since neither of the people were joking about terrorism.

ScaryBob
2012-02-02, 02:24 PM
It also shows that nothing put on Twitter is private. In fact, it's more like an international broadcast. Basically, don't say anything on Twitter that you wouldn't say on broadcast TV. I am sure there are lots of companies and governments archiving and analyzing everything on Twitter, maybe a possible future employer or a country you may want to visit.

Tezster
2012-02-02, 02:50 PM
I think its over the top what happened, but is it not known that if you joke about anything terrorist related (in person or online) that security people will have a problem with you?

This reminds me of an experience a friend of mine went through when she was younger. Her family were going on a weekend road trip to the US. At the border crossing, when the agent at the booth was going through his obligatory series of security questions asked "Sir, I'm assuming that's your daughter in the back?" Her dad decided it would be funny when he replied "Her? Nah - I saw her hitchiking by the side of the road a few miles back and decided to pick her up". :eek:

Needless to say, they did not cross the border, their car was pulled over - every inch of the vehicle was subjected to a meticulous search lasting several hours. His wife gave him the silent treatment for about a week. :D

talljak
2012-02-02, 03:51 PM
The rule of thumb is, never joke with security personal because they take jokes as serious threats.

MCIBUS
2012-02-05, 09:36 AM
Since 9/11 our society has changed BIG TIME not saying it was any different before 9/11 but not as it now.

Our society has become so politically correct its not funny anymore.

A few examples

If you jokingly make a racial joke(to a co-worker) your suddenly branded a RACIST

If you jokingly kid around with(if your male)a female co-worker saying something sexual or touch her jokingly, she may not like it and BAM your looking a sexual harassment case.

And so on.

I'm not saying it right to do these things, but in todays age you have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL what you say or do or else you can find yourself in trouble BIG TIME!!! :eek:

The days of "The Old School" thinking are long gone and in age today with social Media and all its technology what you say or post(pics and things like that IE SEX TEXTING)it'll come back and haunt you for the rest of your life.

das75
2012-02-05, 10:11 AM
so guess Homeland Security is allowed to twitter and facebook at work.

gordoneight
2012-02-22, 05:29 AM
Jeeze, c'mon don't they have anything better to do that this?

I don't think real terrorist use twitter to let everyone know that they are planning to make things go kaboom.

jshel101
2012-02-22, 09:33 AM
The terrorists use twitter. I am sure they are not using it to discuss the news, or when the nest iPad is coming out. :rolleyes:

flaminghomer
2012-02-22, 04:39 PM
I worked at Chicago O'Hare airport long before social media and 9/11, and even back there were signs warning that joking about or even mentioning bombs, guns, etc. could result in being questioned by police. Of course it's more pronounced now, but honestly, if you joke about terrorism at an airport (or tell a sexual or racist joke to a co-worker for that matter), do you really think no one is going to react negatively? Or that no one should react negatively?

Eug
2012-02-24, 01:09 PM
If you jokingly make a racial joke(to a co-worker) your suddenly branded a RACIST

If you jokingly kid around with(if your male)a female co-worker saying something sexual or touch her jokingly, she may not like it and BAM your looking a sexual harassment case.
Gee, go figure.

jumpy27
2012-02-25, 08:10 AM
It is so strange to me that the "land of the free" and the UK, one of the original homes of freedom of the individual have become like police states over that last 20 years or so. The UK with its ubiquitous surveillance cameras and the US with the Patriot Act and various other unconstitutional laws.

Why are these countries so scared an paranoid. 9/11 certainly called for a robust response but not for a decade of paranoia.
Until recently, the UK has had to deal with the IRA setting off bombs in London. Cameras don't bother me--I say the more the merrier. If it makes for less crime, or at least helps solve crimes, then I am all for it. As along as they are in a public area and not private areas like public washrooms and homes.

ScaryBob
2012-02-25, 09:30 AM
Cameras in public areas are certainly a better response than the Patriot Act. Many people think that US citizens have lost their fundamental rights and that the US is rapidly becoming a fascist state. You certainly do not want to express any politically or socially unacceptable views in that type of environment. The UK, on the other hand, chose surveillance of public areas due to the number of bombs exploding on city streets. That is a reasonable response under the circumstances.

MCIBUS
2012-02-25, 11:01 AM
I can't comment on the US comment as I don't live in the US and know there laws.

BUT!!!

Here in Canada you could says(depending on how you see it)that we might be turning into a Fascist/Communist state.

Example

The latest bill the Conservatives want to pass on Child Molesters and the INTERNET.

True I understand what they want to do, but at what cost?

The Conservatives state its not a invasion of someones privacy.