: Worst web sites

Pages : [1] 2

Wayne
2011-12-06, 01:10 PM
Some companies create good web sites, others are not so good. Here are my three nominations for the worst company web sites that I visit on a regular basis:

Rogers - For a company in the communications business you would think that they could build a decent website. But their site is horribly slow and rather buggy - their internet usage monitoring tool seems to have about 70% uptime. Instead of the "circle of death" from Windows you get to see the Rogers spinning logo for tens of seconds while its web site is loading. It has gotten somewhat better in recent years but is still really slow.

Aeroplan - If you are an Aeroplan member you will have occasion to use their site. It is SLOW, often non-responsive, very buggy and often gives text-only pages. It doesn't properly work on IE7 (still standard in many corporate environments), and is just frustrating to use, especially when you are trying to use it to book flights earned by points.

Windows Experts Community - The software that MS uses for its forums is horrible - it is very inferior compared to the software used for sites like DHC. MS took over The Green Button, which was the best online forum for info regrading Windows Media Center, and then ruined it by moving it to this platform. You would think that the world's largest software company could create (or at least find) decent software for its support forums.

Anyone else have other nominations?

jvincent
2011-12-06, 01:23 PM
You got two of the ones I was going to name, Rogers and Aeroplan.

Air Canada is just as bad, maybe even worse than the Aeroplan site.

james99
2011-12-06, 01:35 PM
I have a Rogers pay as you go account. When i go to check the status of my account, it's usually down (at least the section I want).

ScaryBob
2011-12-06, 04:55 PM
Bell's site is another. It's sometimes slow and often missing various functions. The worst times seem to be on weekends and late in the evening. It's as if their network support people only work regular business hours.

cooper83
2011-12-06, 05:26 PM
Canada.com or any other website formerly associated Canwest Global's newspaper arm, now operated by Postmedia Network (Vancouver Sun, etc.).

The pages are so jam-packed full of content that it makes navigating extremely confusing and difficult to read. I wonder if their goal is to make the user experience so frustrating that their readers would rather read a newspaper?!

Embarassing, to say the least, that www.<our country's name>.com is represented this way.

faston
2011-12-06, 05:30 PM
Those Postmedia websites don't display properly on Safari browsers either.

flaminghomer
2011-12-06, 10:55 PM
Rogers - For a company in the communications business you would think that they could build a decent website. But their site is horribly slow and rather buggy...
With a special mention for the Remote TV Manager. Only slightly more reliable than the search function on the PVR.

Nuje
2011-12-08, 12:51 AM
http://www.savewalterwhite.com/
("Breaking Bad" fans are laughing right now; everyone else is saying, "Huh?!")

01 Boxer
2011-12-08, 10:30 PM
I think i win:
http://www.lingscars.com/

Jake
2011-12-08, 11:46 PM
You got my vote Boxer!

talljak
2011-12-09, 12:16 AM
"Breaking Bad" fans are laughing right now
No what that site was real? I thought it was just a tv website you know like tv phone numbers 555 1234
Ill admit the website is terrible, but its also awesome haha

Nuje
2011-12-09, 01:07 AM
Exactly!! :)
The show-runners set up the Walter White site as a pseudo-gag, from what I read; I think that if you click on the DONATE button, it redirects to the Red Cross or some sort of charity.

MarcP
2011-12-09, 02:20 AM
One site I hate to go to is GoDaddy. I have my personal domain and hosting plan with them, but their site is so confusing at times that I'm considering switching away even though a friend works there and gives me a good discount.

audacity
2011-12-09, 01:28 PM
Skeptoid recently did a episode on the Top 10 Worst Anti-Science Websites (http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4283) that I found interesting.

The obvious ones like Conservapedia and Answers in Genesis were there, but I was surprised that the Huffington Post made the top 10.

tux
2011-12-18, 05:52 PM
@talljak actually, many 555- numbers are real, except for 555-01xx numbers, which are specifically reserved as fake phone numbers. For example, 555-1212 is directory assistance. Everywhere in Canada, 555-1234 belongs to Southam Inc (newspaper company); in the US, 555-1234 belongs to a number of different people (depending on the region).

My vote for the worst website is crtc.gc.ca . It's literally impossible to find anything on the site, unless you have a direct link. On previous visits to the site, it's taken literally hours to load a web page; today I go there and search for "CBC" or "Digital TV" and it tells me instantly, "The search engine is offline or taking too long to respond. Please try again later."

MAXAM
2011-12-19, 02:00 AM
Often when I Google the name of a company, store, or service, instead of going directly to the site, I'm taken to a site that just gives the address and the telephone number. Then, I try another site with the same company name and it to also turns out to be phoney. Sometimes, it takes ten or fifteen minutes to locate the genuine company. I guess these fraudsters make money every time they get people to go to their fake sites.

Angelfish
2011-12-20, 10:03 AM
I find the "Airmiles" website to be very slow and sluggish. :(

Viper550
2011-12-24, 01:42 PM
This. (http://www.thecountrycupboardtoo.com/)

"WE ARE DIFFERENT CHECK US OUT"

talljak
2011-12-24, 01:56 PM
@ Viper
Woh that is truely a bad website, reminds me of one I made when I was in elementry school for computer class.

Walter Dnes
2011-12-26, 10:02 PM
@ Viper
Woh that is truely a bad website, reminds me of one I made when I was in elementry school for computer class.

It's almost "Engrish".

"WE ARE A AUTHORIZED CASEXX KNIFE DEALER"

"WE ARE A CASE, BOKER, GERBER AND <missing a comma here> BUCK KNIFE DEALER"