: 60hz vs 120hz (and other HD questions)

Pages : [1] 2

daddyg
2011-11-21, 10:47 AM
Anyone have any experience with a Bravia LED LCD?

I was looking at the Bravia EX500 series as I've seen them come down in price lately.

It doesn't have 3d (which I'm fine with) , but my concern is the frequency is only 60hz vs 120 on a lot of other tv's - i'm concerned this might affect gaming or sports?

tsa
2011-11-22, 08:02 PM
I would stay away from any 60Hz set. The next tv I get will be at least 120 Hz.

HTGuy2
2011-11-23, 01:52 AM
Some confusion here, maybe.

The EX500 series is LCD only - not LED. Also this series is 120hz!
One reason for the price going down may be related to this being last years model which was continued for 2011

daddyg
2011-11-23, 11:49 AM
You are right, i meant the EX521.

I wasn't sure if having a 60 vs 120 hz is going to impact watching a movie or video games.

The difference between the 521 and 620 (120hz) seems to be about $200

ecarlino016
2011-11-23, 10:24 PM
I have 2

EX720
EX621

the 621 is slightly upgraded and newer.
I enjoy these tv's.

Bought the ex720 for 1699 jan 2011.
the ex621 for 1499 July 2011.

The 621 goes for about 1300 now.

Reasonably priced and a very nice tv. Im sure you wont regret it.

dmccorm140
2011-11-23, 11:57 PM
I have the Sony 55 inch EX500. Awesome picture. You can't go wrong with this model.

daddyg
2011-11-28, 08:34 PM
I'm looking at getting a new LED LCD TV to replace my aging 42" Grand Wega LCD.

I've been looking at a Bravia LED, but unsure if it really matters if I choose a 120 Hz over a 60 hz?

I do like to play video games on my current LCD,and do watch sports and would like to get a blu-ray player.

The price difference between the two formats is approx $150 currently, so unsure if I will truly notice a difference.

Thanks!

Eldar3333
2011-11-29, 01:10 PM
I think you'll notice a difference--though it's not always positive. At 120Hz sometimes titles/text flicker, and motion seems a little unrealistic (almost like a video game), though sometimes it works. Best to check it out in store--if they have 60/120Hz TVs playing the same source side by side, you can really see the difference.

hugh
2011-11-29, 01:12 PM
You'll notice a difference. Whether you like it or not is a different story. If you search the forum, you'll find lots of threads discussing the differences.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=112508

daddyg
2011-11-29, 01:24 PM
Thanks, found a few old threads on the topic.

Fordman
2011-11-29, 05:46 PM
I know that 120hz gives blu rays that soap opera effect but does it also give regular HD satelite/cable the same effect? I recently purchased a Samsung 40 inch led but I am now seeing a Samsung LCD 120hz for the same price and debating whether to make a switch. Although I don't care for the soap opera effect (I know you can customize your settings) I would like to see how 120hz affects hockey. My LED seems to handle fast motion pretty good but I am also sitting about 12-13 feet away.

Game1
2011-11-30, 12:04 AM
I've got a 46" Samsung with 120 hz and hockey is so gorgeous. I've also gotten used to "soap opera effect" or whatever you wanna call it. I tweaked my settings a bit, but I spend most of the time just marveling at the picture to even notice anymore. :)

doglips
2011-11-30, 05:05 PM
FWIW:

http://www.digitaladvisor.com/articles/5-more-is-better-myths-of-high-definition-tv

Myth #5: A Faster Refresh Rate Is Always Better

Faster is better, but only up to a certain point, after which faster just becomes redundant. A TV with a 120Hz refresh rate looks smoother and leaves fewer motion artifacts than a TV with a 60Hz refresh rate. A TV with a 240Hz refresh rate, on the other hand, doesn’t show much of a difference over a 120Hz set. The picture is seamless in both cases. It’s pushing the upper-limits of what the naked eye can really see.

In our opinion, 120Hz is the sweet spot. It’s noticeably smoother than 60Hz and avoids the 240Hz price premium. Maybe (just maybe) some sports fanatics would be happier with a 240Hz set for fast-moving games, but they’d only notice a difference in a few plays per game, but they’d probably be better off spending the extra money on beer.

One exception: 3D TVs. The refresh rate of a 3D TV is effectively cut in half, because frames alternate from eye to eye. It’s extra important for 3D video to maintain a smooth picture; if the image looks even a little bit choppy, it’s a recipe for a headache. Hertz count in the third dimension.

Fordman
2011-11-30, 06:43 PM
Went back today and looked at the 40 inch lcd Sammy 120hz tv. Nice crisp picture. I had a chance to play with the automotion settings while Avatar was playing. I have been a lcd owner for 4 years and this is the first time I have seen ghosting, mostly around the characters. Don't know if the was casued by the 120 hz or the 120 hz accentuates what was already there. The sales person said if he had a chocse he'd keep the 60hz LED over the 120HZ lcd and thats what I am going to do.

daddyg
2011-12-01, 11:21 AM
Hello

I am debating between a Sony Bravia EX621 and a Samsung UN46D6000 LED TV.

Both seem to have great pictures, however in a lot of reviews (particulary on the samsung models), there seems to be complaints about "Flashlighting" or light bleeding from the corners of the sets during dark scenes.

Is this something that is inherant due to the Edge lit tv technology, and are there certain brands that seem to have less an issue.

I am looking at LED over CCFL LCD's mainly for size issues in my condo, as well as my room gets a lot of light during the day.

Any suggetions/input?

whmoffat
2011-12-01, 03:57 PM
Good afternoon daddyg. I have seen that Samsung model in the showroom and of course it looked great. However, I recently purchased the UN46D7000 simply for the 240Hz refresh rate, and a very good deal on the 3D glasses and Skype camera. I have no complaints regarding the quality of the screen image. Black is very black and I have not noticed any variations in the corners of the screen.

That being said, I am a Bell satellite subscriber, and now I find I have a tv that greatly exceeds the quality of the provider's image. A good HD channel is generally good but channels that are up-converted have issues. SD channels are hardly ever watched. But here is the kicker - Blu-ray is scary good.

Regards

Fordman
2011-12-01, 05:40 PM
Hello

I am debating between a Sony Bravia EX621 and a Samsung UN46D6000 LED TV.

Both seem to have great pictures, however in a lot of reviews (particulary on the samsung models), there seems to be complaints about "Flashlighting" or light bleeding from the corners of the sets during dark scenes.

Is this something that is inherant due to the Edge lit tv technology, and are there certain brands that seem to have less an issue.

I am looking at LED over CCFL LCD's mainly for size issues in my condo, as well as my room gets a lot of light during the day.

Any suggetions/input?
I recently purchased the Samsung UN40D5500. I do notice some of the flashlighting in the top corners at times (more on the top right) To me it not distracting and its not there all the time and I'm am quite picky about my electronics. The picture quality is amazing. I even returned a Panasonic LED to get this because of a huge light blob at the bottom of the screen. Check out the Samsung LN40D630 LCD. Its a 120hz with a nice picture. Good luck with your decision.

daddyg
2011-12-02, 10:48 AM
@Fordman

Thanks, ended up picking up the Samsung D6000. It was on sale and seemed to have everything I was looking for (good picture, thin bezel, enough inputs), I'm not looking for 3D at this point, so didn't need anything over 120Hz.

Going to set it up this weekend and see how it looks.

shabbs
2011-12-02, 12:10 PM
This flashlighting and uneven backlighting certainly do seems to be issues inherent with LED TV technology. To really minimize these effects, it seems you need to get one with a full array backlight (as opposed to edge lit) and local dimming. The price of the TV goes up accordingly, of course (ie: Sony XBR-HX929 series TVs).

I've been looking to replace my 60" Sony Grand Wega RPLCD with an LED TV, primarily because our great room is bright and has lots of windows. I've been really disappointed to hear about all these issues that people are experiencing with LED TVs. I need to get out and see these TVs with my own eyes to get the real story. Plasma was off the table initially due to the room conditions, but it may be back on (I'm thinking Panasonic GT30 series TV).

@daddyg - keep us posted on your findings with the Sammy.

daddyg
2011-12-02, 01:02 PM
@shabbs

I'll let everyone know.

I had the same tv as you, but the 42".
My main issue with finding a new tv was space. The current Sony takes up far too much room in my apartment, although it has been a great tv.