: TV Recommendations

RJones
2011-11-23, 01:05 PM
A few family members and I are purchasing a new TV for my grandmother. We've got about a 45-46" wide slot to fit the TV into, which means 46" diagonally is about the largest TV we can fit. The TV is going into a south facing room, so there is a bit of light that will shine in during the day. Wide viewing angles are important as well. I don't want to spend more than $1300 for a TV, stand, and preferably a receiver with speakers.

Futureshop has a Sharp LC46LE830U with stand, Pioneer receiver, and Polk Audio 5.1 speaker system for $1299. However I'm reading mixed reviews on the TV. Was also considering the Panasonic 46" ST30, however I would need to pick out all the other components separately.

If anyone could recommend whether LCD,LED, or Plasma would be best in this situation as well as which TV they would recommend, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2011-11-23, 01:49 PM
LCDs do not have wide viewing angles, despite what the ads say. As soon as you go about 15% off axis, the colours are washed out and the blacks become grey. The following thread discusses the pro/cons of LCDs (which include those that are LED backlit) and Plasmas. The thread has been around a while, but the arguments apply.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68800

dio_free
2011-11-23, 02:02 PM
Hey RJ,

A friend and I have been debating the very same FS deal. When you calculate the cost of all those items separately, the savings on the whole deal is almost 50% off. I have to say I am REALLY tempted. The reviews for the set on Amazon.com are very positive, so that is a good thing.

I'm wondering if a pro can weigh in for me on the LED aspect. Back in 2007 I know plasmas were still considered better for picture quality, but now approaching 2012 is this still true? Is a new LED tv a good choice?

2011-11-23, 03:18 PM
LED is still LCD technology, it's just a different backlighting - LEDs instead of CCFLs. So, the majority of the discussion in the link I provided still holds, except perhaps the black levels of LCDs which have improved and get better still if the LED is of the local dimming variety - expensive, but rarely as good as plasma. Note also that the link goes into 2010.

If you wish to discuss LCD vs Plasma, suggest you read the link and post there.