: Looking for a 24-26" LCD TV

HorizonXP
2011-11-11, 02:40 AM
Hey guys,

I'm on the hunt for a decent 24-26" LCD TV. It's for a family member who has a disability and is watching TV on a dinky little 13" CRT. I figured this would be a good Christmas gift, since he loves sports and they would look awesome in HD.

It seems that the audio quality on these small units is quite poor, according to the reviews. I can't imagine it being worse than his existing set. Reviewers seem to add soundbars, but these are a) bigger than the 26" TV and look weird b) much too large and cumbersome for his bedroom.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a decent 1080p unit. The best I could find is the Vizio M261VP. It's around $370 USD, and would require picking it up from the US. Not a huge problem, but I'm hoping there might be a local source I can check out first, before I make such a commitment. I like it because it's 1080p, has decent user reviews (incl. audio quality), and has great viewing angles (seems like it's an IPS panel).

Another option is the Toshiba SL410U 24" screen that's going for about $270 at local stores. However, many user reviews indicate the sound quality is so poor that they ended up returning the units.

Finally, I don't want to jump to 32". I know my options open up, but fact is, it would be too big for his room and usage. He doesn't sit too far away from the TV, and it's already going to be difficult to wall mount this so that it's at a decent ergonomic level.

My goal is to replace his set with the LCD TV, and have it wall mounted. As much as I'd like to use OTA for the HDTV channels, he has some specialty channels which necessitates a Rogers HD terminal. Thus, I'm unsure as to what would be the cleanest way to do the mounting. Ideally, I would have one remote that controls both the TV and STB.

Thanks guys!

Danno100
2011-11-11, 07:53 AM
This is not a recommendation, but I just purchased a 24" HD (1080p) Dynex from BB at $149 for my poolhouse and mounted it on the wall. It has ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners, HDMI, component, and composite ports. It has 3W speakers, not great, but I don't expect good speakers even on my 46" Samsung. It certaintly is better than the 5 year old $600 19" LCD TV it replaced. The picture and tuner seem far better. At that price, I will likely buy another and use it as a computer monitor (and keep the receipt and shipping box just in case).

Hard to go wrong at $149. On Black Friday in the US, this TV will be discounted to $80 at BB. Unbelieveable.

Jake
2011-11-11, 09:30 AM
For sports, news etc sound is not going to be a real issue. These small speakers lack bass but they are perfectly fine for these sources. I have a 23" Samsung from Costco but I see they have 24" version now. I read the reviews before buying and the biggest complaint was the sound quality. You can tweak the sound to soften the treble.

mike70sk
2011-11-14, 10:02 AM
I may be wrong here, but my understanding is you don't notice the difference of 1080p set unless its 50 inches or bigger. With the exception of sitting very close like using a small lcd tv as your computer monitor. If this is the case it could save you some money, or maybe making a bigger 32 inch 720p set closer to the same price range. I have a 52 samsung 1080p set, the sound is absolute crap, like worse then an old crt set, you think they could spend another 30 bucks to give a sound that is not complete crap. needles to say i listen to it on my sound system.

ta guy
2011-11-14, 03:42 PM
Just shooting it out there.I bought a lcd/led toshiba 24" at BB for 200$ about 3 months ago.Picture is nice but the sound is a little tini.