: One in four HDTVs shipped in 2011 will be internet enabled

hugh
2011-11-04, 05:50 PM
In 2011, about one in four (27%) of TVs shipped worldwide will be able to connect to a network, a figure that is expected to rise 54% to 155 million by 2015, according to a recent report by DisplaySearch. (http://www.digitalhome.ca/?p=12460)

Actually, I thought the number would be higher.

ta-kid
2011-11-04, 08:57 PM
A little late in the year to make such an prediction.You would think they would be publishing the numbers for 2012 about now.I wonder how the sales of 2011 TV,s compare to what was shipped at this time before the black Friday clear out down south and X-mas/boxing day on the way.
Do you think they have actually sold 50% yet.I douht it.Lots of independent TV shops closing out here in the west.Seems like only the Big box stores are surviving but on what.Phones and Appliances?

hugh
2011-11-04, 10:28 PM
They put out predictions every quarter. That way, at the end of the year, they can say how close they were ;)

Yroc
2011-11-05, 04:07 AM
Don't fully understand the benefits. Does this mean one less wire to run from CPU to TV or does this type of TV offer more?

scampbell
2011-11-05, 08:43 AM
Does this mean one less wire to run from CPU to TV or does this type of TV offer more? I assume this means that you don't need a CPU. You can watch youtube or netflix with the internet connected directly to the TV.

I assume it is for people that are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a 60" TV but are not willing to buy a BluRay player (or a PS3 or a PC... "but all my tapes are on Beta, what do I need a BluRay player for?")

Do internet-capable TVs do anything internet-capable BluRay players don't?

stego
2011-11-05, 09:10 AM
I just hooked up mine...wired to my router. I have the Panasonic 50s30... And to be honest, other than DLNA and firmware updates, not too useful. This one doesn't have Netflix... Which doesn't really matter, cause I have an Appletv...

CinemaNow is useless.. Doesn't work...Napster? No account... Shoutcast... Meh...got Internet radio off my Rogers cable, or Apple TV.

the only plus for me is DLNA...but haven't tried it, and hoping it'll work with my DroboFS, so I can stream my mpg home movies. If that works, definitely worth hooking it up to the network.

Jake
2011-11-05, 09:40 AM
Don't fully understand the benefits
And I think that is where the companies have failed. Other than a few logos or generic slogans they have really down-played this aspect. If you go looking for it you can find all the information. But most commercials about TV focus on the image and not the content.

There are many apps like flickr, facebook, TV guide, weather, games. DLNA and online music and movie streaming are some of the features. Personally I love this concentration. Lots of us wrote about this happening many years ago and now it is. I can imagine new TVs coming out with webcams and a Skype app. Think about sitting in your living room talking to Ma and Pa and not having to squint or max out your laptop speakers.

Note to self: If not already done file patent on above idea. :D

Edit: Looks like it already exists.

Spike4881
2011-11-05, 11:26 AM
I can see this being useful if you come into the game cold - less hardware to buy. In my case, I have a media server (two if you count the PS3) and all are fed to the screen via hdmi. Aside from firmware updates (none of which exist any longer for my tv) there is no reason for my tv to be connected at this point.

Jake
2011-11-05, 11:46 AM
I have multiple internet media serving devices as well but I can see TVs eventually replacing the separate "STB"s.

talljak
2011-11-06, 02:06 PM
My TV has internet now and i find it more of a novelty then anything useful. Yes you can surf the web, but its a lot slower then using a computer.
Like mentioned before doing updates and having access to a few apps like netflix is nice to have.
The main feature of an internet TV, is the ability to stream connect from your computer onto your TV. Movies, Photos and Music.
This was my biggest reason to get an smart HDTV.

Yroc
2011-11-07, 02:01 AM
The main feature of an internet TV, is the ability to stream connect from your computer onto your TV

Don't need an smart TV to do this, a simple HDMI cable will do.

DSgamby
2011-11-07, 08:12 AM
Yes but then you need a long HDMI cable and the ability to control the computer from your couch.

EdT
2011-11-07, 01:26 PM
SmartTV is a gimmick just like 120/240hz and 3D HDTVs to make units more expensive so factory ouput revenues are higher. You have to understand how rapidly the price has dropped from $15,000-$20,000 for a 37" LCD HDTV cost in 2004 to now under $400 for a 40" in less than seven years !

Jake
2011-11-07, 02:13 PM
SmartTV is a gimmick
That is ridiculous. That is like saying a SmartPhone is a gimmick (which many people did). Most typical people (not you or me) are not interested in running cables, their PC, servers or having to switch inputs or fiddle with an AVR. Plus we are only in year 2 at best so expect the apps to mature and more content become available.

Yroc
2011-11-09, 03:38 AM
That is all fine, but I ran the cables years ago. So for me, no benefits.

hugh
2011-11-09, 10:28 AM
Internet enabled Televisions make lots of sense but unfortunately they are very poorly implemented with crappy widgets, limited functionality and limited processing power.

My guess is various types of set top boxes / media extenders etc will be necessary for many years to come.

Jake
2011-11-09, 01:16 PM
I agree for this year but there is no technical reason why TVs can't have the new and powerful decoder chips in the near future. TV will get more powerful, run android apps and become standardized. TVs are evolving very fast. Mine is only 2.5 years old and it looks like a dinosaur compared to the new ones coming out.

ecarlino016
2011-11-09, 01:33 PM
I have (2) sony Bravia tvs wired to a cat 6 network. One of the nice things about this wired set up is each tv has an ip address.

That way I can take my laptop and send any mpeg movie to the tv for big screen viewing. Too bad flash isnt supported.

This is the big reason why tvs will never replace the pc. They dont have the firepower for the decoding.

All they need to do is disply the data over the network. To be honest....if they can create this transparency then i see PC lcd's going this way too.

If you are looking for downloadable content direct to you TV.....dont hold your breath.

EC

Jake
2011-11-09, 11:17 PM
This is the big reason why tvs will never replace the pc. They dont have the firepower for the decoding
The $100 WDTV box is perfectly able to decode 1080P BR over Ethernet. Are you saying they can't put that capability into a TV? I bet it would add less than $50 to the price of a modern TV.

scampbell
2011-11-10, 07:18 AM
This is the big reason why tvs will never replace the pc. They dont have the firepower for the decoding.
I wonder if we will ever see Sony integrating a PS3 into their TVs. They would have lots of horsepower then.