: Japanese TV manufacturers admit defeat

darklord
2011-11-02, 04:30 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/japanese-tv-manufacturers-admit-defeat/article2222859/

It is really strange that giants like Panny and Sony are faltering while startups like Vizio are growing. You have to wonder how do you make money selling a 50" panel for the going rate of $1K nowadays.

I think it was unwise for the big boys to invest a lot of money into 3D or 240hz, things that people simple don't want. Playing the one upmanship game in the digital age is akin to digging your own grave.

Competition is good but it's sad to think that maybe one day there'll be no more Sony or Panny TVs in the market.

Geo35
2011-11-02, 08:31 PM
For years, there was not much money to be made in electronic products. The advent of big screen TV's about a decade ago changed that because of the high prices of 2k+. Now that good quality can be had for sets of less than 1k, this is where the majority of sales are and needless to say there is only a small markup/little profit. We seem to be headed back to the days of more than a decade ago when the best TV's cost about 500 bucks.

Sadly I think that innovation will now start to slow down due to the non profitablity in TVs and both Panasonic and Samsung among the best TV manufactures will concentrate on other products.

jumpy27
2011-11-02, 08:51 PM
Sony will have to put OLED TV's on the back burner until the world economy improves.

ta-kid
2011-11-02, 09:16 PM
Get ready for All TV,s built by the lowest bidder!Glad I just got my first plasma ordered ,a 65VT30 top of the line Panasonic plasma because it mite be a while before we see Japanese reliablity return.Not that i have any gurantee mine will be anymore reliable.The real issue is parts avaliablity from thialand with all the flooding going on.NO parts No Fixy!

markf
2011-11-02, 09:27 PM
Maybe it's just me, and thousands of other consumers, but the $379 Dynex 40" TV is the same as the $579 Sony 40" at FS.

Is the Sony really 50% better to justify the 50% higher cost? Not to me and my budget. For $600 I was able to get a 40" Dynex + a 250GB Xbox 360, rather than just a 40" TV.

Considering these products are more or less disposable now, another question is whether the Sony will last 50% longer than the Dynex. My opinion, likely not.

My 32" Dynex, which broke me into HD LCD TV's, is still running strong after being the only TV in our house for 3 years. If I remember correctly, we paid about $400 at the time for it. To replace it now with an equivalent TV would be just over $250, probably the same cost as even a basic repair at a shop.

dezzpayne
2011-11-02, 09:57 PM
I think where HDTV's need to evolve now is the software and features. Wifi, user friendly interfaces, built in Netflix, Hulu, etc. Yes these things are available but not standard. Sadly when I think of this going mainstream Apple stands a better chance than anyone. TV's need to stop being the dumb panel and become the centerpiece.

darklord
2011-11-03, 10:38 AM
I think this is a case of things gotten so good so fast that planned obsolescence stops working. 3D and internet connectivity can't convince me to give up my 3 year old Kuro for a new TV. I'm disappointed working into a store that there's nothing I lust anymore.

slygoose
2011-11-03, 01:34 PM
They may be doing poorly financially but it doesn't say anything about quality. I think Sony and Panasonic have some of the best TVs on the market.

With this loss, however, who knows where QC will go... With regards to consistent reviews, from reputable sources, aren't Panasonic Plasmas # 1 or #2?

EdT
2011-11-07, 12:33 PM
@markf

The $379 Dynex when calibrated is just as good as the $799 Panny sitting next to it. I believe the big chain stores are deliberately messing up the settings on the Dynex to make consumers think they are getting something better with the more expensive models.

The 32" Dynex was at $228 last month, try to beat that at the retail level !

EdT
2011-11-07, 12:38 PM
@slygoose

Sony no longer makes any of their HDTVs, the close up their Mexican plant and sold their entire HDTV production line to a Taiwanese company named Honai which is based in China since 2009 ! I believe Samsung and LG has done the same as well.

jayoldschool
2011-11-07, 01:51 PM
I think the first sign of this was Pioneer leaving the TV market.

ScaryBob
2011-11-07, 07:43 PM
Newer sets may be cheap but build quality has gone down, way down. We have a couple of older Toshiba sets. The audio systems on these sets are way better than new sets. They also weigh a lot more due to the metal frames used to hold the panel. Then there is the back light rated at 60,000 hours. Newer sets may have advantages, such newer generation panels and LED back lights but they are not as good in other respects. There are also differences in panels. Buying a brand name set doesn't guarantee a better panel but they are often used in high end sets. The difference is considerable and would be seen on the display floor. The quality of the back light also makes a difference in picture quality as it ages. With this recent development, it's quite possible that name brand sets will be no better than house brand most of the time.