: Is this banding?

2011-11-01, 08:58 AM
Its a 4 year old Samsung 40" LCD. In the last month or so this showed up, there is also a thicker line on the very right hand side of the screen.


2011-11-01, 09:27 AM
Usually banding is used to refer to a signal processing artifact that shows up on things like cloud or fog.

What you've got there looks like a defect with the TV.

2011-11-01, 10:04 AM
Not sure what that is but it is not banding.

Michael TLV
2011-11-01, 10:14 AM

Almost looks like a kind of burn in I see on some LCD sets. Ususally on sets that have been used a lot of hours ...

Warranty issue if still under warranty. REpair issue beyond that.


2011-11-01, 10:36 AM
Looks to me what happened to my bro-in-law's LG LCD. The cleaning lady
pressed so hard when cleaning the screen it had a purple/red smear from that
point on.


2011-11-01, 11:03 AM
I bet it was from cleaning, my sister cleaned it the other day, i bet she pressed to hard. You think its repairable? for a decent price.

2011-11-01, 11:24 AM
It's probably panel damage. If that's the case, a new TV will be cheaper than a repair.

Don't let anyone clean the panel of your TVs or monitors. Learn how to do it properly and do it yourself.

2011-11-01, 11:46 AM
such a sad sight to see one go like that... repair costs will be more than a new TV for sure. Hold off a while and see if it gets better.

I had my 2 year old ruin my 40" samsung lcd by throwing objects at the screen and bursting the liquid crystals...now I have "bleed" lines running across my whole screen...taught me a lesson to wait until kids are older to get a nice TV.