: Question about EVU and NFL ST

Dean W
2004-08-06, 01:26 AM
Does anyone know the reason why NFL ST was added for this season and not in the past? I am not asking this to be negative. I think it is great that EVU has added the package.

My friends and I call what EVU (and SC) offered before was NFL ST Lite in that could see 5-7 games each SUnday with CDN and US Nets before.

So just wondering if Rogers had exclusives or if it was Directv small dish exclusive situation or just simply wasn't going to be profitable for EVU to add it until now, etc.

bclaringbold
2004-08-06, 01:49 AM
I think it was a security/money thing. NFL didn't want Bell to put it on there system because there encryption wasn't the best. :lol: NFL really didn't want anymore people to get it free. But with Bell now starting to use there new encryption, which currently hasn't be hacked Bell and the NFL came to an agreement.

This is only my opinion i have no evidence to prove this.

Dean W
2004-08-06, 02:09 AM
Perhaps possible, but Directv has had several exclusive contracts with NFL ST that were renewed during times of a compromised Directv signal.

hugh
2004-08-06, 09:31 AM
Prior to this year, the cable companies had exclusive rights to NFLST. I think Rogers signed an exclusive deal around 1997 for five years or so.

james99
2004-08-06, 09:47 AM
I think the deal was with Rogers who would then sell it to the other cable companies.

Directv still has exclusive rights in the USA (hence the higher price).

hugh
2004-08-06, 10:35 AM
actually the original was Rogers only. ( I worked at Rogers at the time)

jay2121
2004-08-06, 12:52 PM
The NFL and DTV were always scared that if ExpressVu or Starchoice had NFLST that US residents would purchase CDN systems, pay the lower rates in CDN funds and start another grey market problem. Since DTV did a majority of sales for the NFL their input went a long way. Security was secondary to this. With PRISM no US customer can purchase a Bell system, first hurdle down. Next security, Nagra2, second hurdle down, time was right, NFL and DTV agreed and we got it.

james99
2004-08-06, 01:43 PM
No U.S. resident can buy a Bell system? Since when?

Bell has always turned a blind eye to the reverse grey market.

jay2121
2004-08-06, 02:17 PM
Try to put a US address into PRISM, won't work, also the contract would be invalid and the dealer selling the system to the customer would be on the hook for any charges, so it won't happen.

james99
2004-08-06, 02:33 PM
Folks in the US with Expressvu (which seems to be 50% of AVS members :lol: ) would be using a broker or a friends/relatives address in Canada.

Canadians can easily get a grey market system and i suspect the same is true with Americans wanting Bell. I know that Starchoice had a dedicated toll free phone number for Americans.

Also, does KUSAT still provide Americans with Expressvu systems?

jay2121
2004-08-06, 02:46 PM
Brokers and the like do not work with ExpressVu anymore, with PRISM the customer must be there in front of you with their picture ID and must sign the contract, in some cases this is done by the installer but the system will not be activated if it does not go through PRISM.

hugh
2004-08-06, 03:03 PM
The NFL and DTV were always scared that if ExpressVu or Starchoice had NFLST that US residents would purchase CDN systems, pay the lower rates in CDN funds and start another grey market problem.

I don't think that had anything to do with it. From what I understand Rogers simply overpaid for the rights. At the time they were very worried about Look (ExpressVu was actually less of a concern at the time) and they felt that by being the exclusive distributor they could hang on to their customer base until they could get Digital Cable off the ground.

peano
2004-08-06, 04:36 PM
Also, does KUSAT still provide Americans with Expressvu systems?

Yes.

enright
2004-08-09, 09:45 PM
wow....I've just been watching my first ever NFL HD game--Hall of Fame on ABC and have to say that I'm blown away by it !!

Does anyone know how many of the NFLST games will be HD ?? I know that we'll get the CBS&FOX out of Boston/Seattle--but of the others on ST, how many will be in HD ? doubt the networks have that much HD equipment yet...

james99
2004-08-09, 09:50 PM
Directv came up with a HD package this year that consists of "up to" 100 HD games. This is the package Bell has access to. So thanx the folks over at Directv and its new owner Rupert Murdoch.

Last year Directv only had HD games from CBS so the extra games will be mainly from Fox. News Corp had a reputation for not wanting anything to do with HD. Directv and Fox has dismissed that rumour.