: PN51D6500 issue powering on (Snow)

ace66
2011-10-17, 12:33 PM
I've had this tv for 2 months. From the beginning I've noticed a problem but lately its more frequent. When I power on the Bell receiver and the tv all I get is a snowy screen. If I scroll through all the inputs and back to the tv input that fixes the problem. Or sometimes if you just leave it for a minute it fixes itself. I had the tv mounted on the wall with a slim mount so there's no way of checking the HDMI cable to see if its loose but I'm pretty sure its not. Not sure if this is a hardware issue with the TV but I'm not sure what else it could be. Any suggestions ?

hugh
2011-10-17, 01:45 PM
Definitely sounds like an electronics issue. Don`t know if I`ve ever seen a snowy screen on a digital connection. Usually it would just be blank.

I`d speak your retailer ASAP and contact the manufacturer.

ace66
2011-10-17, 01:53 PM
Gonna call the store now, really not hoping I have to bring the tv in even if it is under warranty.

hugh
2011-10-17, 02:07 PM
I would contact the manufacturer as well. If they have others with the same problem, they can quickly tell you what to do.

Important to deal with these problems before you get too far along in your warranty because sometimes it can take a while.

ace66
2011-10-17, 02:14 PM
The store I bought it deals directly with the manufacturer so I just emailed them the problem. I'll let you know what I find out.

2011-10-17, 03:17 PM
Snowy screen is often an HDMI connection issue - poor connection (at one end or the other - strongly suggest unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable at both ends a few times. It can also be a format issue where some TVs don't like a particular format. Here's the HDMI FAQ where it's mentioned.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112 (Items 27, 28, 4, etc)

What is the output format for the BTV STB? Set it to 720P or 1080i (the opposite of what you currently have, assuming you didn't leave it in the default 480P)

Also try changing the startup order - TV then STB or vice versa. You don't mention an AVR, but if you have one, turn it on first.

ace66
2011-10-17, 03:43 PM
57, thx for the info. I can check the HDMI connection into the receiver but not the other end. Its wall mounted with a super slim bracket. The TV sits less than 2 inches from the wall. I didn't install it but I'm sure if I had to I could pull it off and check the connection. I will at least check the receiver end tonight.

I have the STB set to 1080i. I was told thats better than 720P ?

Normally I turn the receiver on first then the tv. I will try doing it vise versa.

Don't have an AVR, just a sound bar that comes on automatically when the tv is powered on.

Also, the problem isn't every time I power up I'd say its one of every 3 times, strange.

2011-10-17, 04:22 PM
Since BTV sends all channels as 720P, give that a try since it will also eliminate one conversion done by the STB. Good Luck. A similar issue used to affect Sony (and some other) TVs when they first had HDMI connections, but recent TVs and recent firmware has usually eliminated the issue.

ace66
2011-10-17, 04:40 PM
Ok I will try 720P. But isn't Bell going to start broadcasting in 1080P in the near future ? BTW, my tv has only been on the market maybe 4 months so I would think my firmware is recent.

2011-10-17, 05:00 PM
Bell doesn't really "broadcast" (they are a service provider) and no one currently does broadcast in 1080P and won't for a long time - too much bandwidth required. There is 1080P programming (movies) available "on-demand" from BTV (downloaded to the PVR). Here's the FAQ on Formats:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76129