: Good time to buy a new TV?

Pages : [1] 2

Steve604
2011-10-02, 12:31 AM
Looking at picking up a 65" Panasonic plasma (TCP65GT30),

Is this a good time to buy price wise or should I wait till the new year?
last TV I bought was almost half price 4 months later,
I know it'll always be cheaper to wait, just don't want to buy at the top again

audacity
2011-10-02, 02:08 AM
Christmas and Boxing Day sales seem to be the best time to buy TVs.

whitbyterry
2011-10-02, 09:05 AM
There are always newer models with more features that can push the prices up. Is the one you are eyeing fairly new? If so, prepare a list of TVs that are similar and check them out (reviews, in-store) and track prices. Then, around Christmas (or after, if you don't mind lines) go pounce on the one with the best price.

It seems like Christmas and Super Bowl are when the stores really push TVs but you might get lucky and see your TV get a big drop just by luck too.

classicsat
2011-10-02, 10:27 AM
I would say soon. With the dollar dropping, sets will be more expensive to import as stocks need replenished. and those prices will be reflected on the price tag.

coldcanuck
2011-10-03, 10:16 PM
I noticed last year there was a lot of Black Friday advertising here in Canada by Canadian chains to keep shoppers at home. I wasn't in the TV market so I don't know just how much better the prices were than regular weekend sales.

Try to bargain a 2-month price protection guarantee with your purchase. I got a one-month price protection guarantee when I bought my first Plasma TV at Future Shop in 2006.

I think your problem is similar to mine right now. I'm looking for the same series as you in the 60" size. Panasonic's 60" S model is $1,600, a cool $1k less than the 60" GT model. Naturally the volume is with the S models with GT-series consumers spending extra for the GT for quality, and therefore the stores (and Panasonic) ding you. For it.

Cory

JamesK
2011-10-03, 10:50 PM
I agree about around Christmas. There are a lot of Boxing week sales and last year, just before Christmas, I was able to pick up a 32" Sony Bravia for about $350 at Sears.

ava0775
2011-10-04, 12:51 PM
For the past couple of years, we buy almost shortly after FS and BB offer their price match until the new year (usually ~ Nov 1). It does take some follow up and time to get the price adjustments, but last year we saved hundreds of dollars right up until January. They even honoured the Boxing Day sale. We got to enjoy the tv when we wanted one without waiting for a sale.

Anything we purchase once the price match takes effect I put on a price watch on both websites. I receive an email whenever the item goes on sale. Print off the email, walk up to the customer service desk with my receipt and get the price adjustment.

Stilgar
2011-10-04, 03:23 PM
I heard on the radio yesterday during a news report that production for Internet-Enabled TVs (Netflix streamable et all) are being primed to be the most touted device for Christmas this year. Future Shop is on a hiring blitz and expected to fill 4000 jobs while Best Buy is expected to fill another 2000 (chain wide numbers) in anticipation of the upcoming holiday demand.

May be a good idea to wait for the deals if you can.

skifan
2011-10-04, 03:40 PM
For the past couple of years, we buy almost shortly after FS and BB offer their price match until the new year (usually ~ Nov 1).

Another advantage to this approach, is you have access to stock which might be in short supply by the time the Xmas sales are actually underway.

Plus, you get to avoid the seasonal shopping pandemonium.... unless standing in long lines with a bunch of other zoned out shoppers is your thing. :p

dm_4u
2011-10-05, 02:22 PM
I find a great time to buy, is just as Stores' bring in "new" stock of TV's each year.

For instance here in Winnipeg, Advance had brought in their new Panasonic 55VT30's and were selling them at $2899 but were blowing out last year's 50VT25's at $1499...an incredible deal for a NITB top of the line TV albeit last year's model (oh and they threw in 2 extra year's warranty to boot).

Using this strategy, you can usually move up one or two levels of quality for about the same price as this year's middle of the road model, (ie ST30 @ $1600 vs VT25 @ $1499), I don't know about you, but I have no issue with buying last year's top of the line Plasma for this year's middle of the line price.

If I were you Steve604, I would see if I could find a new Panasonic TCP60VT25...as you probably would be getting a TV that matches or beats what you want (as it's one level up in quality and features)...for a lot less money than what you are looking at.

dezzpayne
2011-10-05, 02:32 PM
Most retailers bring out their new lines in the spring. Black Friday may see some nice CDN deals, after that it's Christmas and then wait for the new models to scoop up last year's for a bargain.

aWcMTL
2011-10-05, 05:37 PM
I find a great time to buy, is just as Stores' bring in "new" stock of TV's each year.

For instance here in Winnipeg, Advance had brought in their new Panasonic 55VT30's and were selling them at $2899 but were blowing out last year's 50VT25's at $1499...an incredible deal for a NITB top of the line TV albeit last year's model (oh and they threw in 2 extra year's warranty to boot).

Using this strategy, you can usually move up one or two levels of quality for about the same price as this year's middle of the road model, (ie ST30 @ $1600 vs VT25 @ $1499), I don't know about you, but I have no issue with buying last year's top of the line Plasma for this year's middle of the line price.

If I were you Steve604, I would see if I could find a new Panasonic TCP60VT25...as you probably would be getting a TV that matches or beats what you want (as it's one level up in quality and features)...for a lot less money than what you are looking at.
totally agree with you. This is what i bought (VT25). Plus my VT25 suffers from neither the Floating Black problem that plagued most 2010 Panasonics, or the Fluctuating brightness that affects a lot of the 2011 models.

Geo35
2011-10-07, 11:42 PM
Steve604 along with the other suggestions, since you are looking at a relatively high line set, stores would be more willing to knock the price down because the profit is higher on the more expensive sets compared to say a $700 set where the profit is relatively low. Wouldn't hurt to just walk into a couple of stores and tell a sales rep "I'm not that interested in the set cause it's expensive, but what is your best price?" At least you can keep that information until the sales start later in the year or if they do give you a good discount, go for it.

eimaj
2011-10-08, 04:49 PM
+2 to dm_4u. The last two sets I bought I saved $2400!!! (originally $4g) and $2200!!! (originally $5g) just for waiting for them to go on clearance, of which that usually happens when the new models come out. Both were the previous years top of the line Samsung Local Dimming Full Array LED LCD's.

DTVGuy
2011-10-14, 02:23 PM
There's always something better just around the corner, so when you think about it, the best time to buy a new TV is when you REALLY want a new TV.

spensar
2011-10-14, 03:07 PM
Futureshop $3,683, US with free shipping to Seattle from Abes of Maine $2,298. May be worth a look at cross border shopping, Downside is hauling back US side if warranty problems, but that is a big difference.

Steve604
2011-10-14, 03:15 PM
There's always something better just around the corner, so when you think about it, the best time to buy a new TV is when you REALLY want a new TV.
I always REALLY want a new tv,

heading out this weekend to see what kind of deal I can score, if the price is right, I'm going to pick it up

sailmaker
2011-10-14, 03:36 PM
QUOTE from aWcMTL: This is what i bought (VT25). Plus my VT25 suffers from neither the Floating Black problem that plagued most 2010 Panasonics, or the Fluctuating brightness that affects a lot of the 2011 models.

That advice just might be the most important point of all posts here, especially if you want a Panasonic plasma. Other plasma brands seem to be prone to one or both problems mentioned also. Do a search here about Panasonic plasma fluctuating brightness levels if you are not aware of this or these problems. sailmaker

Steve604
2011-10-16, 07:08 PM
Got the 65" GT30,
went to a local high pressure commission sales store, I actually felt violated when I left there,
went to a local department store, they beat the other stores so called absolute bottom line,

Geo35
2011-10-16, 09:56 PM
After previously commenting is this thread and hearing other posters mentioning about looking for last years high line models, I found a brand new 50" GT25 for less than a grand as I was looking to upgrade from a 42" Panny. It pays to read these threads :)