: Different OTA scan results with different software

spech
2011-09-06, 08:35 PM
Out of all the TV tuners I've tried, I've gotten the best with the HDHomerun3. However, when I scan for channels using different software (e.g., HDHomerun QuickTV, Windows Media Center, Media Portal), I get different results. Why is that?

I hope this question hasn't been asked before, but if it has, please direct me to the appropriate thread. Thanks.

pnear
2011-09-07, 10:41 AM
I'm just guessing here, but each software package likely sets the threshold for what they consider to be a solid signal during the scan. Likely they'll all get the same actual signal if you tune in manually, but Media Center may consider 50% signal too low while Media Portal may consider that 50% to be just fine.

Pete

ScaryBob
2011-09-07, 11:06 AM
Tuner sensitivity can be an issue. The ability to handle error conditions, such as multipath, can be another. Some PC tuner cards use older generation chips that are less capable than chips used in TVs or external devices.

I've also seen an issue with MediaPortal. It does not recognize some stations correctly and some not at all. The major issues appear to be with TVO and CHCH, which have known problems with stream data. Despite its other strengths, PC tuner card support in MediaPortal is marginal. That could be due to lack of technical information from card vendors or lack of a full time developer.

Vuarra
2011-09-07, 12:01 PM
Which explains why I can get RF11 from my TV (at 98/100 bars), but Media Portal tells me "Nothing found".

Frustrating.

If this is a "station" issue (stream data), how do we get things corrected? I already downloaded the latest drivers for the HVR-2250, and updated the MP setup to 1.3.0.

spech
2011-09-07, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the all the comments. pnear and ScaryBob, what both of you said makes complete sense, but it's weird that Windows Media Center seems more sensitive to Buffalo stations than some Canadian ones (CTV in particular). Media Centre is just kind of inconsistent.

raczyk
2013-05-29, 08:15 PM
What can one use to get actual dB signal readings, rather then being signal dependent. Someone mentions TSreader, but I'm not quite sure how to use it.

majortom
2013-05-29, 08:28 PM
That usually depends on a combination of the hardware and software implementation. But if the programmers would all follow Microsoft's BDA Spec / recommendations it would be simple.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd693432%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Incidentally that's why I don't like the 'closed source' environment of Windows and use Linux instead.
Because when ya come across something where you don't like the way the programmer did something,
you have no opportunity whatsoever in changing it.

TsReader can display SNR with some Cards. What card are you using?

OTAJuncqui
2013-05-30, 08:00 AM
TSReader is probably the best benchmark.

btw, no signal issues for myself using NPVR

ExDilbert
2013-05-30, 01:40 PM
I find NPVR/NewPVR/GBPVR to be good as well. I do have an issue with CKCO. In NPVR, they seem to be switching their sub-channel designation between 13.1 and 13.13. When that happens NPVR gives me a "no data delivered" error. Don't know if it's a station issue or an NPVR issue but it doesn't happen with any other stations. A rescan fixes it but it shouldn't happen in the first place. I usually don't notice it until I try to watch a show and just get an error message.