: An option for a new tv

pmartel1
2011-09-04, 04:45 PM
Hi;

I'm not sure where this should go, so feel free to move this.

At some point I am considering a new tv as I have a 10 year old CRT 27 inch JVC.

Living in small quarters it takes up a ton of space BUT has a truly stunning pict as one of the first tv's to be rated at 720 even though 4:3

As I do not have cable or satelllite, I already have a DTV OTA box.

My option is to consider a 24 inch computer monitor and connecting my OTA DTV box to it via a VGA adapter

Why am I thinking this route?? Already have the DTV box, so why get rid of it and besides a 32 inch tv is still too big in a 246 sq ft apt.

Has anyone had experiece doing this??

hugh
2011-09-04, 05:29 PM
Lots of people use Monitors for TV screen so long as you have an external tuner. Search around especially in the HTPC forum.

pmartel1
2011-09-04, 05:44 PM
Recommendations on best way to connect the tuner as it uses std RCA connections and Most monitors use DVI or VGA??

JamesK
2011-09-04, 07:23 PM
^^^^
Does that tuner have 3 RCA connectors, one for each primary colour (component video)? If not, you'll be limited to composite video, which means no HDTV. If it does support component video, then you'll need some sort of adapter to convert to whatever the monitor can handle. My monitor can do VGA, DVI and HDMI. I have the HDMI input connected to a cable STB, the DVI is for my computer and the VGA is for some other computers, connected via KVM. It works fine for TV, but I also had to provide a stereo connection to an audio receiver. Some monitors have built in speakers and may be able to take audio from an HDMI connection. Failing that, amplified speakers or other audio amp will be required. Don't rule out smaller TVs though. There are some available that are smaller than 32" and may result in less hardware being required in the small available space. Many can also be used as a computer monitor.

DTVGuy
2011-09-04, 07:29 PM
When I was looking for a TV for my Dad's room, I found a 22" Samsung that seems like a computer monitor, but it's a TV, with everything built in (VGA/HDMI/Composite/Digital Tuner). It came in a 26" size as well, but it seemed like a bit much for his room. Yes, you can find a decent computer monitor that'll take a converter input (composite video), but why not find something that'll take everything, and enjoy the digital channels on your new flat screen for about the same price, without the need of a converter box?

One last thing to consider - a 27" CRT is BIG in size, for many reasons, so you'll probably find that a 32" flat screen, regardless of maker, is not going to seem all that big.

JamesK
2011-09-04, 07:36 PM
^^^^
Quite so. A 32" HDTV actually has slightly less screen area than a 27" CRT, but takes only a small fraction of the space due to the depth of CRT sets vs flat screens. LED back light sets are only about an inch thick.

EdT
2011-09-04, 08:31 PM
Scrap that idea !
Today most 24"-27" HDTVs are cheaper than the simple PC monitors at the size range plus you won't get HD signal with a converter box and you have to connect the audio to an amp and speakers !

majortom
2011-09-04, 09:01 PM
i was lookin for a pc monitor not too long ago, and wound up with a 22" LCD TV up to 1080p resolution, With an ATSC Tuner, 2 HDMI inputs, VGA Input for the PC, so on..