: WMC Scanning and Transition issues in GTA

Pages : [1] 2 3

DavidT
2011-08-25, 07:37 PM
Ok, this is odd... but is anyone else not able to tune into RF41 (Global Toronto) in Windows Media Center?

My HDHomeRun picks it up (100% signal, 98% quality and 100% symbol), and my Panasonic and LG TVs pick it up, but it doesn't work in WMC. I tried manually adding the channel (41.1 on RF41), it says 100% signal, but doesn't show a picture, just a blue screen.

recneps77
2011-08-25, 10:22 PM
Can you watch it using HDHR Config + QuickTV (or VLC, etc)?

navwizard
2011-08-25, 10:24 PM
Hi DavidT....

We're investigating that. Most WMC users are having trouble with our Global signals. We may be close to getting it working.

Cheers!

Dan (with Global)

DavidT
2011-08-25, 10:44 PM
@recneps77: Yep, works when I preview it in WMP and VLC, just not in WMC.

@Dan: Thanks for tuning in! :P Glad to hear you're working on it! Keep us updated please, and thanks for checking in with the community.

ampjunkie
2011-08-25, 11:16 PM
I'm using a HDHomerun tuner and Silicondust verified that VLC works but WMC does not because of a bug -- that it does not like the configuration used in the Global signal. They are going to contact Global, but it seems Global already knows this from navwizard's post. Hope you get it working soon!

On another topic -- am I correct to assume that Global Ch 44 in Toronto will move to Ch 51 after Aug 31?

strackj
2011-08-26, 11:41 PM
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has had trouble getting Windows Media Center (Windows 7) to tune to CIII-DT-41. Running TSReader on my PC, I can tune to 41.1 and decode the signal no problem, it is just Media Center that is giving me trouble. I have manually removed the old RF65 entry that I previously had in WMC for Global and manually added an RF41 DTV channel for 41.1, but WMC still won't display the channel properly. For reference, I am using a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950Q USB tuner.

It's not a lack of signal issue; I can pick up Global with plenty of signal on 41.1 on my LG TV. From the "signal meter" on my set it is showing 74-76% signal strength and 100% signal quality, which is comparable to CBLT and TVO for me. All of the other Toronto stations work fine for me in WMC.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Before 41.1 was active on RF41, I had Global DTV on RF65 working in Media Center (when I was able to pull in enough signal)

InTheAir
2011-08-27, 12:40 AM
Hey Strackj I'm with you. My SNR is 30 for RF 41 but my Hauppauge 2250 has no sound or picture on Vista MC. I thought it was tuner overload but my LG shows 78% signal and 100% quality. I'm still not ruling out overload so I'm going to try using a splitter to reduce the signal 3 db and see if that helps. I had RF 65 working well to. I'll try this in the morning and let you know.

<Edit> After reading the whole thread I see that this is being worked on this weekend. Crossing my fingers it works! Txs navwizard.

writerpatrick
2011-08-27, 11:52 AM
WMC's channels seems to be based upon a downloaded database. To fix it you need to scan for new channels then edit the channel information to get it to find the new listings. Note that I'm using the US as a location and using the zip code for a city across the lake. I used Google Earth to work it out. 14174 should work for the Toronto area.

The signal monitor for WinTV will work for WMC as well so you can use it to check your signal strength. It's more accurate than WMC's signal strength indicators.

DavidT
2011-08-27, 12:51 PM
Hey strack, this issue is already being discussed here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=144322

It's a problem with Global's PSIP data (discussed in depth here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143032). They're working on fixing it :)

strackj
2011-08-27, 12:52 PM
Good call on the WinTV signal meter, didn't know that worked with other applications.

Good to know it is not just me having the problem. I read through the other posts in this subforum as well (didn't see them before). It's great to have people "on the inside" also posting on these forums. Thanks!

writerpatrick
2011-08-27, 03:10 PM
Since there seems to be a few people having trouble I thought I'd give detailed instructions.

Open WMC

If you already have it setup there's no need to setup the signal, however you may want to.

Go to Settings, TV, TV Signal, Scan for More Channels and do a scan

When the scan is finished, click Next at the bottom of the page. Click Finish.

Now go back to the TV settings page (click the arrow at the top left corner) and select Guide.

Go to Edit Channels.

Find where it lists 41.1 and click on it the description beside it (it's likely to be scrolling).

This should bring up a page with the title, "Settings For 41.1 CIIIDT". Select Edit Sources.

You will now probably see two different sources. If you highlight one the bottom of the page will display the Channel number. Make sure the one that is checked is the one for 41.1.

Save and exit (back out to using the top left arrow) until you get to the Guide menu in Settings. Now Get Latest Guide Listings. This step isn't always necessary but if you've edited the stations they may not show up until the guide is updated.

Now WMC should be finding 41.1 at 41-1.

Note that you can edit the guide to fit your area. I noticed that TVO wasn't listing the digital listings even though it listed the analogue ones so I set WMC to copy the listings. You can modify the guide somewhat so you don't have to rely upon the default.

TitanTV is also a good source for TV listings. It's possible to set it up to work with WinTV.

ota_canuck
2011-09-02, 02:52 AM
I have been receiving CFTO (CTV) digital but it was gone since two days ago. All other channels are fine. I have a home made antenna facing south from 2nd floor of a house. Can anyone help? Thanks.
You need to use the full rescan function on your TV for those new/relocated digital channels.

Crankman
2011-09-02, 02:57 AM
You need to use the full rescan function on your TV for those new/relocated digital channels.
Yes, I did a full rescan with Windows Media Center. I got 20 channels, including CityTV. I have also tried to add 40.1 manually which used to work a few days ago, but now, it doesn't work. Any clue?

Nester5000
2011-09-02, 02:59 AM
I am not getting any City TV , Omni 1 & Omni 2

I have the same problem, but I think it's because they don't have transmitters down here.:D

buffalofan19
2011-09-02, 10:43 AM
Yes, I did a full rescan with Windows Media Center. I got 20 channels, including CityTV. I have also tried to add 40.1 manually which used to work a few days ago, but now, it doesn't work. Any clue?

Windows Media Center has been wacky for me ever since the transitions started to happen. I think the problem is that when you first program it, you have to enter your zip code and it reads from the Zap2it database. I don't think they've updated for the RF frequency changes. Ever since CHCH changed frequencies, I hadn't been able to get it on my Windows Media Center (but did on my Vizio TV), even if I tried to "fool" WMC with a closer zip code either in Canada or the US. I'm assuming it's the same issue for CFTO, but I haven't tried it yet to be sure.

congenic
2011-09-02, 12:58 PM
After the transition, I am no longer getting CFTO-DT. It use to come in crystal clear at 9.1.

I never bothered to worry about UHF versus VHF... I have an indoor antenna from monoprice. I have a Sony TV with an ATSC tuner and I use the USB Hauppauge ATSC Tuner. Both worked well and I received numerous channels.

Now I've lost CTV among other channels.

I thought (perhaps wrongly) the transition would mean a boost in signal not a reduction in signal!!!

HWP
2011-09-02, 01:00 PM
Try re-scanning. Not an add scan but a total re-scan.

congenic
2011-09-02, 01:07 PM
Do you know if I'm using Windows Media Center for Windows 7, do I need to remove the device and re-download the Programming Guide as well in order to do a re-scan?

writerpatrick
2011-09-02, 05:39 PM
It helps to have another program like WinTV to check your reception with so that you know whether it's a reception problem or whether it's the WMC program itself.

Unfortunately, I don't think WMC's records are completely up to date so it may not come up with the new channels just from the download.

If you setup your TV signal before yesterday you may want to try re-setting it. (Redoing "set up TV signal.") This should clear out any old channel settings. I used the location as the US and a zip code of 14712 which is across Lake Ontario. This gets most of the Toronto stations, although it tends to find the analogue listings for them.

To get the new Canadian channels do a "scan for more channels" and it should find the new channels. Note that your antenna has to actually be able to find the channels for WMC to find them.

The new channels are likely not to have any listings. So go back to TV settings and select "guide." Select "edit channels" and find one of the new digital channels you scanned for. Highlight it's channel name and select "edit listings." Find the analogue equivalent then select "copy listings from..." Exit out of it. Now when you bring up the guide it will show the listings on the digital channels.

If WMC gets some of the channels but not all then it's unlikely a program issue but a reception issue with those channels. The signal strength indicator in WMC is garbage so don't rely upon it.

wilspin
2011-09-02, 06:47 PM
It is based on Zap2it. I only get 2 WBBZ listing in WMP as that is all in zap. 67-1,67-2, So no new DTV until zap is updated. Hop2it Zap2it!