: Can I connect wdtv live plus directly to computer??

gnlman
2011-08-29, 06:28 PM
Hi. I'm having some streaming issues with WDTV live plus and was hoping for some help. I've been reading but have not come across an answer to this.
Can you have your WDTV Live Plus attatched directly to your HTPC??
I have a HTPC in my rig and presently I have a 4 port switch (dlink green gigabyte) in the system. This switch runs directly back to my dlink 825 router. I have nothing else but the HTPC plugged into the switch, so the wdtv has to go back to the router and return to the tv which with some hd stuff is causing some stuttering....I was wondering if there was a way of just hooking into the htpc to avoid this. My htpc has 5 2tb drives in it. Hopefully I have provided enough info for an answer. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Greg

hugh
2011-08-29, 06:53 PM
I doubt the switch is causing an issue.

I am suffering similar problem and so I am about to check my network performance.

See this thread for details.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143803

P.S. Does your HTPC have a gigabit ethernet card

Alan Bealby
2011-08-29, 07:09 PM
You should be able to but it won't be a matter of simply connecting the WD TV Live Hub to the computer with a LAN cable.

Depending on the functionality of your LAN ports, you may have to use a special patch or cross-over LAN cable connection. If neither of the LAN ports involved have auto sensing and correction for send/receive lines you will need the special cable.

Secondly, you will have to manually set up each device with a user specified IP address as your devices won't have access to a DHCP server to do that.

These may not be the only issues you would have to solve.

gnlman
2011-08-29, 09:51 PM
Hi. Thanks for the replies. Network checks out fine, although I do notice it depends on the activity in the rest of the house. We have a few of these WDTV Live Plus boxes(all hardwired) and the network will bog down if more than one is on, and say someone is downloading something. I have one that runs straight out of the router with no issues or lag, so not sure if it's the longer cat 5 runs that may be doing it. I don't think any run is longer than about 40 feet. The run from the HTPC is about 20 feet.
Yes PC has gigabit onboard and I'm running Windows 7 so the other issues should be ok....
I didn't think it would be that easy to just plug the WDTV Live Plus into the HTPC....I was hoping I could somehow do it thru usb???? I like to have the HTPC in the home network, as I am able to drive it thru my own PC using VNC and do all my file transfers ect from the comfort of my den and larger keyboard as opposed to using the small HTPC logitec keyboard. I'm just not sure what would happen if I plugged a usb cable from my HTPC to one of the usb inputs on the WDTV Live Plus....just don't want to smoke either machine. lol Especially the HTPC, it's a fairly new build in a very dandy looking component type case that I almost had to sit on to fit all the drives in...haha
I'll keep reading and pass any info along should I figure it out. Thanks for the tip on the crossover cable and the IP address....that makes sense for starters. I (for now) only use 2 of the 2tb drives the rest are backup for myself and my family, just handy to have them in the home network.
Thanks again for all the input.
Greg

hugh
2011-08-29, 09:59 PM
and the network will bog down if more than one is on, and say someone is downloading something.

That sure suggests network congestion.

You could get a WDTV Live Hub and just load it up with programs.

gnlman
2011-08-29, 11:59 PM
Yes it would suggest that, and while I don't see a way around it when there is heavy traffic, it shouldn't be an issue when we are just watching the one tv in our ht room....this is what I can't understand. I also don't really understand (despite my readings) how wireless traffic affects wired traffic thru the router.....
My dlink router is dual band simultaneous so if say my kids are using their laptops to download, it seems to lag the wired portion of the home network when say using one of the WDTV boxes.....as well, if I'm using my wired computer to transfer some large files in our home network it will make my wired WDTV box which is 3 feet from my router lag as well.....confused?? I am. lol I guess more reading is in order.....
I did have a look at the Hub, but it seems to be limited to 1 tb, which is already not enough to hold my movies,tv series music ect. I had originally thought of putting together a lan box before the home theater idea, but it seems more complex than the htpc as the files on the htpc stay native which makes giving someone else say some music or tv shows much easier.....

cambo
2011-08-30, 01:38 PM
I also don't really understand (despite my readings) how wireless traffic affects wired traffic thru the router.....
My dlink router is dual band simultaneous so if say my kids are using their laptops to download, it seems to lag the wired portion of the home network when say using one of the WDTV boxes.....as well, if I'm using my wired computer to transfer some large files in our home network it will make my wired WDTV box which is 3 feet from my router lag as well.....confused?? I am. lol I guess more reading is in order.....

The processors on the routers aren't very strong. The router is handling simultaneous streams both wired and wireless, so it is doing thousands of calculations per second.

The way to get around that is to segregate your Media/HTPC/NAS onto a separate gigabit switch. Then, provide one uplink to your router. This way, the Router will generally only be routing the wireless traffic (downloads etc), while someone else can watch streaming media from your WDLive, connected to it's switch.

gnlman
2011-08-30, 04:34 PM
Hi. Thanks for the input....
Perhaps I should be clearer on my present setup.
HTPC is connected to 4port Dlink gigabite switch as is the wdtv live plus. The gigabite switch goes to a homerun back to the router.(dlink 825) Previous to installing the switch, I only had the htpc running directly back to the router. I did not experience any lags when it was hooked up like this as long as there was not a large amount of other traffic occurring while we were watching tv.
I should also be clear that this is only happening with larger files like 720 movie rips ect.
I only wanted the wdtv in the mix to make it easier for my wife/kids to use the HTPC...
I may try another switch in case the 4 port perhaps is having some issues. ( I have a 8 port switch on the other end of the house to run 2 other wdtv boxes and kids xbox ect.) If everything else checks out is there another method besides routers that could handle the traffic without having to go to IT school? lol
Thanks, Greg