: Toshiba 51"

Angelfish
2004-07-21, 10:28 AM
Slightly off topic but I was very interested in the 51" model. I recently saw one on display a Future Shop. I realize that this (and other models) needs to be calibrated, but the problem I saw was that when viewing this model I noticed that for an optimum viewing situation you have to look dead on centre to the screen. In reality I don't often watch my TV this way. I am usually off centre and a bit below the screen to view a show. This really deterred me from looking to buy this unit. I noticed that the overall brightness went way down when viewing this set from either side. :(

JohnnyG
2004-07-21, 10:48 AM
All rear-projection sets are like this and Toshiba is nowhere near the worse in this respect.

Since LCD and DLP based designs are so much brighter, less 'focusing' of the light is necessary, so they have a wider viewing angle.

Angelfish
2004-07-21, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the reply Johnny. I new this off center viewing buisness used to be a problem (in the 90's) I thought this problem was largely taken care of with rear projection sets. Now my brother in law has a 43" RCA and this lower quality non HDTV capable set doesn't seem to suffer greatly from this problem. Oh well I guess I will now focus (get it) on a projector. Anything under 3k that you would reccomend. :roll:

dc
2004-07-21, 01:13 PM
You don't necessarily need to get a front projector. The problem you describe is with CRT based RPTV's. As JG said, DLP and LCD RPTV's don't suffer the viewing angle problem for the most part.

JohnnyG
2004-07-22, 10:59 AM
Angelfish, this is one of those things that always seems much more severe in the showroom than it would ever at home. In the showroom, you're typically only a few feet away from the TV, so when you look at the picture from the side, the actual viewing angle is very extreme and not likely to be replicated in a typical home setting.

Yes, the picture looks best head-on, but it doesn't disappear altogether when viewed at an angle. It just doesn't look as good.

StreetPreacher
2004-07-22, 02:54 PM
I routinely watch my set (42H82) from a position that is probably on about a 45 degree viewing angle, and it looks just as bright as if i'm viewing straight on.

The only time I really notice the light level decline is if I'm standing up while watching, which I don't do too often.

Angelfish
2004-07-22, 04:19 PM
I have been reading up on the Toshiba's for quite some time. I've been to Johnny's web site (while it existed) many times. I realize that a show room floor is not the most optimum site to view these monitors at thier best. I was just looking for obvious flaws becuse ultimately I would have to convince my wife on the TV/Monitor. Johnny I was close to comming into the shop to check one out but as circumstances played out I guess buisiness wasn't very good :-?

kwtoxman
2004-07-24, 12:47 AM
I was worried about the viewing angle of CRT RPTV's as well. But in reality it turned out to not be a big deal. I measured up my room at home, including the location, angle, and distances of the couches. When I mimic'ed the conditions at various stores, I found that the viewing angle was fine. And one of my couches is noticibly off to the side and at a significant angle. Definitely try this yourself. That is the best way to answer your question. I went with a hitachi ultravision and don't have this problem. I was impressed with the viewing angle of the TV.

Hope this helps.

kw..........