: Global Ottawa DTV Transition - Aug. 16, 2011 - update in Post #331

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

bowhunter
2011-08-15, 12:48 PM
I am now getting some pixelation and "mode not supported" on my TV for 6-1. Still no station ID or sound. They may just be starting to crank the ERP up? I have played with my CM4228 and my VHF antenna and my CM VHF antenna has given me the best results yet but still no lock here in Franktown. I was able to get analog 6 weak with my 4228 and quite strong on my VHF antenna. Fingers crossed that they are still adding more power to the transmitter...

downbeat
2011-08-15, 12:48 PM
I would suggest viewers in the Ottawa area who are having difficulty with Global on Channel 6 to also e-mail/call the station to let them know.
The broadcaster needs to know that their DTV channel/ERP choice might not be working for them …

james039
2011-08-15, 12:50 PM
I'm receiving CIII-DT RF 6 using the AntennaCraft ministate HD view 360. I'm right by the Ottawa river (Orleans-East)

The signal is a paltry 3.3kw so it's no surprise many aren't receiving at all.

mwalma
2011-08-15, 01:22 PM
I'm in Old Ottawa South (Bank and the canal) and I am getting Global on 6.1 at about 45% signal strength. CBOT-DT and CBOTF-DT are stilling coming in fine on 4.1 and 9.1 at about 75%. Sorry I can't give you the actual channel numbers, my TV doesn't report it.

Edited to add: I have an 8 bay antenna from they-who-cannot-be-named (sorry, I was ignorant when I bought it), pointed at HC.

Michael

Reposted from the other Ottawa thread, (Ottawa-Vanier-Orleans)

tvlurker
2011-08-15, 01:24 PM
Global is currently on RF6 an mapping to 4.1

CBOT-DT has been booted off to 25.10

I can't imagine CBC will be terribly amused by this.
That's your TV's tuner, and how it deals with duplicate virtual channels.

OTAJuncqui
2011-08-15, 01:28 PM
I'd give 'm a day or two to tweak things but for your convenience:

http://www.globaltv.com/about/contactus.html

roger1818
2011-08-15, 01:31 PM
I was receiving CIII-DT this morning, but now I don't. Part of my problem may be that I don't currently have a pre-amp on my 5Y6S and I have about 75 feet of cable and a 4-way splitter.

For those having troubles, an FM trap may also be of help. Just make sure it is band shifted to protect channel 6. Winegard's traps are not recommended but the one in the CM7777 is good.

Having said that, I was expecting people to have lots of problems with Global here in Ottawa.

FunkyTown
2011-08-15, 01:35 PM
I was not expecting issues with Global. Yes, I read that VHF on channel 6 is not good as many antennas won't pick it up. However, I can pick up channel 4 on VHF with my antenna. Channel 6 always came in before with my antenna when Global was analog. The only conclusion I have is they've really reduced their signal to a trickle. I'm not getting one bit of the signal at all. I live in Gatineau not too far from the Ottawa river. Reception in this area has been very good for local channels on both sides of the river - Hebert's Corners and Camp Fortune.

HWP
2011-08-15, 01:37 PM
I have already contacted GlobalTV.com to describe what has happened out our Global TV reception in Ottawa (folks' home)and at our family cottage in Kazabazua.

bowhunter
2011-08-15, 01:50 PM
Now nothing here at all for Global on either of my antennas. I have e-mailed them to see if they are still in testing phase and not at full power yet. I hope this is not what we can expect from them.:confused:

james039
2011-08-15, 01:54 PM
I used the link OTAJuncqui provided to contact Global about their signal issues. I suggest others do the same. Yes it's early days, but it might help to make it abundantly clear to them that people are actually watching OTA.

Fota
2011-08-15, 01:55 PM
I'd give 'm a day or two to tweak things but for your convenience:
http://www.globaltv.com/about/contactus.htmlThanks! If by September I get all other digital channels from Camp Fortune ok except for Global TV, then I'll get on the horn. Perhaps, depending on how other's reception is at that time, we could even do something as a group (petition / CRTC? Global TV claiming viewership and sim sub based on this OTA).
But yeah, it does feel a little too early to get upset right now.

tvlurker
2011-08-15, 02:03 PM
Also, it's not really acceptable to be flash-cutting during the day with incorrect PSIP and anything less than "full" power. (Such as it is. Note that most other channel 6's in metropolitan areas (Albany, NY and Philadelphia, PA) are struggling to get good coverage with 30kW, forget about 3.6 kW!)

Smoothing out the rough edges could have been done during previous overnight shutdowns of the analog signal.

FunkyTown
2011-08-15, 02:03 PM
I sent them a message stating I'm not getting any signal anymore and enjoy several shows on Global. So I hope they are planning to boost their signal.

OTAJuncqui
2011-08-15, 02:09 PM
Not that I regularly defend Shaw/Global, but I did take notice of several electrical storms in the area the last three nights. This could have disrupted thier transitition schedule.

That being said, they are in the business of selling cable subsriptions, they had a working signal this am but i appears to be down now. True pre-transition overnite trials may have been beneficial however that may have been too costly.:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact.htm

charettepa
2011-08-15, 02:28 PM
emailed Global and phoned CRTsee
CRTsee says they have had many complaints

micah
2011-08-15, 02:30 PM
About CIII-DT-6 specifically or just in general about the DTV transition. Other stations have cut over today as well.

charettepa
2011-08-15, 02:33 PM
about CIII-DT-6
Global Toronto retransmiter in Ottawa

becks
2011-08-15, 02:51 PM
I'm in Kanata - Bridlewood and I'm getting a reception of 83% with my VIP 302. My TiVo does see it as 4-1 too

moody
2011-08-15, 02:54 PM
I had a bit of free time here at work, so I shelled into my mythtv box, did a few minutes recording, then ftp'ed the mpg file to work so I could check out the quality. Result: looks like flawless HD programming in the two minutes I watched. (Sorry for the small sample size, that's all of ET Canada I could tolerate...).

Forgot to mention earlier, this is a VHF-Lo Yagi, attic-mounted. I can't remember the brand (not CM) but it has about a 7' boom. It's pointed directly toward Camp Fortune. The interwebs tell me I'm about 35km from the tower.