: Global Ottawa DTV Transition - Aug. 16, 2011 - update in Post #331

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

HDTV101
2011-08-19, 12:02 AM
Your CM4228 is a UHF antenna... it can work for VHF high channels (7- 13) too... even if it's a UHF design, however this antenna will not work at all for any VHF Low channels (2-6)

So yes your solution would be to get that AntennaCraft Y5-2-6 Low Band Broadband VHF Antenna. It'll work very well for channel 6 :D

The CM7777 would be a good choice ... it has UHF and VHF inputs and one output

http://www.xtek.ca/bmz_cache/8/8e514709c7c3b71d55ac293806fb5b89.image.210x150.jpg

ScaryBob
2011-08-19, 12:51 AM
The problems with a CM7777 preamp will be possible loss of VHF-hi signals and possible overloading. I haven't seen a good solution for combining a UHF/VHF-hi antenna (such as the CM4228) with a VHF-lo antenna. A UVSJ will combine UHF and VHF with minimal loss. A HLSJ will combine VHF-hi and VHF-lo. A HLSJ might also pass UHF on the VHF-hi leg but the spec's don't indicate that. Tin Lee could most likely make a good solution for combining UHF/VHF-hi with VHF-lo but then you are talking big bucks compared to a mass market UVSJ or HLSJ. Maybe some of the techs here could come up with a DIY solution. It should not be that difficult.

Another solution might be a VHF (hi+lo) antenna and a UVSJ.

charettepa
2011-08-19, 10:16 AM
your best solution would be

uhf only antenna
+
vhf 2-13 (lo,hi) antenna
or vhf lo +vhf hi and an hlsj
+
cm7777

this way you wont lose anything
the only possible issue is overload and decent tuner can take care of that

if you are certain that the signal is very strong
then skip the cm7777 and just use a uvsj to join
(+ hlsj if you have a seperate vhf hi and vhf lo)

DXer
2011-08-19, 10:21 AM
The problems with a CM7777 preamp will be possible loss of VHF-hi signals and possible overloading. I haven't seen a good solution for combining a UHF/VHF-hi antenna (such as the CM4228) with a VHF-lo antenna. A UVSJ will combine UHF and VHF with minimal loss. A HLSJ will combine VHF-hi and VHF-lo. A HLSJ might also pass UHF on the VHF-hi leg but the spec's don't indicate that. Tin Lee could most likely make a good solution for combining UHF/VHF-hi with VHF-lo but then you are talking big bucks compared to a mass market UVSJ or HLSJ. Maybe some of the techs here could come up with a DIY solution. It should not be that difficult.

Another solution might be a VHF (hi+lo) antenna and a UVSJ.
How about a UVSJ in reverse on the CM4228 to separate the V-Hi from the U, then a HLSJ to combine the V output from the UVSJ (input to the 'H' side) with the Y5-2-6 (input to the 'L' side): the output from the HLSJ is then fed into the V input on the CM7777, and the U output from the UVSJ into the U input of the CM7777?

A diagram would be worth a thousand words!

charettepa
2011-08-19, 10:35 AM
that sounds like the best option as long as the 7777 is not too much

wing
2011-08-19, 10:47 AM
Whoa....

Okay what is a HLSJ? And where can I buy one? I know you can't post links on here for some reason... I've been looking at summit since they carry the antenna.

All my other signals come in very strong. The only VHF hi we need in Ottawa is CTV (13) I think.. right? It comes in very strong in analog, hopefully this continues on the digital side. So I don't think I'll be losing anything unless you are saying the CM7777 completely filters the VHF from the UHF input?

What are other people doing? There has to be a way.... There doesn't seem to be a VHF 2-13 antenna that is any good for 6 or am I missing something? If so then I could just get one of those and combine them with the CM7777.

I'm not sure I need to boost but I am splitting 3 times (two PVR inputs and my TV), although I could probably skip the TV input as usually I just record everything, but it is nice to have the 3 tuners.

charettepa
2011-08-19, 10:51 AM
HLSJ is a hi lo separator/joiner
UVSJ is a UHF VHF separator/joiner

they can be used in combinations to join or separate any way you want

micah
2011-08-19, 10:52 AM
Based only on your tvfool results, I would think a DIY di-pole would be enough to do that. El Gran Chino was able to build one for channel 11 for $2 he said. I'll edit this post if I can find a link to instructions.

flavoie
2011-08-19, 11:02 AM
wing here's a simple solution. Get a VHF (covering both VHF HI&LO) antenna and a cm7777 preamp. The Delhi VIP-302SR must still be available locally. You could choose another model that cover the whole VHF range like this one.

Point the VHF antenna to CF, keep your 4228 the way it was. Set your cm7777 to separate inputs with the FM trap ON(IN) and connect both antennas to the preamp. You are done. Your big job is to figure if you have room for the VHF antenna on your current mount and around it, if clearance is good for both plus some place to put the preamp.

Personnally when I connected my VIP-302SR in the attic (pointed to CF) I got way better Global & CTV than I ever had coming off the back of my 4228hd on the roof. Your results may vary, but a preamped VHF antenna on the roof should be OK to pick up Global. backpackster in Navan picks it up on a roof mounted preamped VHF antenna.

The 302sr has a gain of 4 vs the 526 which has a gain of 4.9 on VHF Lo. But the 526 isn't even rated for VHF Hi, where the 302sr has a very respectable gain of 8. It's a smaller antenna than some of these big monsters, but still big enough at about 9 feet on the biggest end.

flavoie
2011-08-19, 11:02 AM
wing, after the transition SRC will be at channel 9 (VHF Hi) along with CTV staying at 13.

flavoie
2011-08-19, 11:08 AM
Here's what some others like jrmclean have done with 3 antennas. Get 2 antennas for VHF: 1 antenna for VHF Lo or specialized for channel 6 (single cut yagi) and 1 antenna for VHF Hi. Use a channel master channel 6 jointenna to mix these antennas to get your VHF feed. Then add a UHF antenna to that VHF feed to a cm7777.

charettepa
2011-08-19, 11:17 AM
Here's what some others like jrmclean have done with 3 antennas. Get 2 antennas for VHF: 1 antenna for VHF Lo or specialized for channel 6 (single cut yagi) and 1 antenna for VHF Hi. Use a channel master channel 6 jointenna to mix these antennas to get your VHF feed. Then add a UHF antenna to that VHF feed to a cm7777.
this is my current setup and it works great
in fact
my channel 6 antenna is rabbit ears on the roof
they have been adjusted to 34.5" each side
then secured in place to the vhf hi antenna

i get global at 60%

jivany
2011-08-19, 11:36 AM
backpackster in Navan picks it up on a roof mounted preamped VHF antenna.

@backpackster can you provide your TVFool and antenna info? I'm trying to decide if Global is going to be a possibility for me in Kemptville. My LG TV spends a long time on channel 6 when scanning but I get no signal at the moment.

charettepa
2011-08-19, 11:37 AM
in the states it is mandatory that anything available ota in your market is available in clear qam from your cable company's cable feed

sure would be nice if they enforced that here
as even if you dont subscribe to tv
as long as you have internet your cable is active
yes filters are on and there is no analogue
but clear qam is still there

KCHAN
2011-08-19, 11:40 AM
Hi All,

I think I would wait until CTV transition then decide between a full VHF Hi/Lo antenna or a single cut ch6 for Global.

For me the first thing to do is get a taller pole and brace to get my antenna away from my metal chimney. I'm discovering the pain of VHF.

wing
2011-08-19, 11:46 AM
Thanks all for the information. Perhaps I should go with the Dual antenna. I'm mounting on my roof so space is not really an issue ;). I can just stick a poll on my current mount to extend it and stick the VHF antenna on it should be fine, my mount is pretty solid.

@flavoie thanks for the info on how to setup I may just go with that.... although the VIP302 is triple the price of the 526 :(.

Also don't care about SRC hehe, don't watch French TV.

charettepa
2011-08-19, 12:02 PM
@wing
the vip 302 was only ~ 65 bucks last time i checked
are you saying you can get a 526 for 20 bucks

GeoStar
2011-08-19, 12:06 PM
my setup for what it is worth

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=763&pictureid=4017

ok it works for me .... your milage may vary ...

flavoie
2011-08-19, 12:11 PM
This is probably not the best place to talk about prices. But anyways always figure out the cost of shipping for antennas like this if you order online, and also very high costs of shipping if ordering from the USA.
EDIT: some US sellers will not tell you the real canadian shipping price from their site.

check these out for more details in the How To Buy forums:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=164

flavoie
2011-08-19, 12:17 PM
GeoStar, it looks like you're not using the VIP-302SR for VHF Hi (SRC, CTV post-transition). Have you considered using a UVSJ instead of a channel 6 jointenna ?