: VHF-LO Reception on Hauppauge 1800 in WMC

RamKat
2011-08-17, 07:04 AM
Three tuners in my household and I am only I having problems with the Hauppauge 1800 receiving a VHF-LO digital channel (CH 6). I am using Windows Media Center and the signal strength indicator is between 5/6 and 6/6 for that channel, but when I tune to it, WMC tells me "no service available". All the other channels are receiving fine and when CH6 was still an analog channel, the receiption was as good as an analog channel could get.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Marbles_00
2011-08-17, 07:22 AM
Can you manually enter the channel data into Windows Media Center? I had a similar problem in getting CHCH 11.1 after it changed on my two media machines (both using a HVR-1250). I had TSReader on one machine, and it could lock onto the channel, but MediaPortal wouldn't.

In MP's TV configuration screen, I ended up manually enter CHCH's channel information that I was able to extract from TSReader. Everything works great now.

Hope that helps.

writerpatrick
2011-08-17, 09:31 AM
Since it's a VHF channel I would be inclined to suspect antenna problems, but if you say you're getting the signal then that wouldn't be the case. Does WinTV show the channel? (Since you have a Hauppage I assume you also have the WinTV software.) If so then it's something specific to WMC.

If that's the case then it's possible that the info it downloaded has one of the technical specs wrong for the channel. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to manually enter digital channels in WMC. It is possible to "scan for more channels." Since you've been using the analogue it may only be trying to find the analogue signal and not the digital signal. Re-scanning might help find the digital signal.

I've also found that the WMC signal indicator is useless. It will often show channels at 4 bars that don't come in at all as well as ones that come in fairly well. Use the Signal Monitor for WinTV to get an accurate idea. It gives a range from 0 to about 32.

pnear
2011-08-17, 09:34 AM
Media Center is sensitive to improper information in the PSIP, was a significant issue when many of the local stations initially came online and I expect it to be an issue with the transition as well. If it comes in everywhere else but not Media Center, it's probably a PSIP issue that the station engineer will need to fix.

Pete

flavoie
2011-08-18, 05:54 PM
CIII-Ottawa went from 50kW to something like 3kW when it switched to digital. I used to get a fair to good signal when it was analog and now i don't get anything.

Lots of us have lost Global reception in Ottawa.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143890

RamKat
2011-08-29, 10:14 PM
I reported earlier about having a problem receiving a ATSC signal on VHF-LO (Global in Ottawa, Canada) with a Hauppauge TV tuner card using WMC. I ordered the latest version of WinTV and WinTV easily tuned to 6.1. Also tried it with the USB 950Q and no problem. So it must be an issue with WMC in Canada.

pnear
2011-09-01, 03:13 PM
It is an issue with the PSIP in the stream from Global. They are aware of the problem and are making changes across Canada to fix their transmission.

Media Center is more sensitive to this problem than other receivers.