: Troubles with Hauppage IR Blaster

dtvinvictoria
2011-08-12, 06:09 PM
I am currently in the process of setting up an HTPC and have gotten pretty far but I am stuck at trying to make my IR Blaster work. I currently have a Hauppage WinTV 2250 tuner connected to a Bell TV 4100 STB and analog cable. I have been able to scan in my analog cable channels and I can view the output of the Bell STB by manually switching to the S-Video input but I cannot, for the life of me, get the included IR Blaster to change channels on the Bell STB.

I have tired, as a test, to "learn" commands from my Shaw Cable box with success - I can turn the cable box on and off and change channels with ease but with it comes to the Bell 4100 BlastCfg.exe (the hauppage IR blaster program) says it "learns" the bell remote commands but then has no control over the STB.

I am running Windows Server 2008R2 as my OS and need to have this working in WinTV as I don't really want to go through the hassle of hack-installing Media Center into this OS.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you folks may have for me.

danbcman
2011-08-12, 06:37 PM
You may find your OS may not be supported.

dtvinvictoria
2011-08-12, 06:45 PM
I know my O/S isn't officially supported, however, I have just about everything working, including communication with another STB, I would be inclined to think that my O/S is not the issue here

dtvinvictoria
2011-08-14, 12:14 PM
Well I transplanted the tuner to my Win7 PC and I'm getting the same thing. I have read that learning commands from a Bell Remote is next to impossible, can anyone confirm this??

tvmaster
2011-08-14, 05:36 PM
there's an app that's included with Hauppauge products - 'BlastCfg' or 'IR Blaster Configuration'. Did you install that? if not, you should, since it has all the mappings for different satellite/cable box manufacturers (Star Choice amongst them). It's included on the Hauppauge disc, but may have to be installed manually (ie hunt for it), as some Hauppauge cards don't include it as an auto-install.
Once installed, you select your box, test the code, and save it.

tvmaster
2011-08-14, 05:44 PM
I am currently in the process of setting up an HTPC and have gotten pretty far but I am stuck at trying to make my IR Blaster work. I currently have a Hauppage WinTV 2250 tuner connected to a Bell TV 4100 STB and analog cable. I have been able to scan in my analog cable channels and I can view the output of the Bell STB by manually switching to the S-Video input but I cannot, for the life of me, get the included IR Blaster to change channels on the Bell STB.

I have tired, as a test, to "learn" commands from my Shaw Cable box with success - I can turn the cable box on and off and change channels with ease but with it comes to the Bell 4100 BlastCfg.exe (the hauppage IR blaster program) says it "learns" the bell remote commands but then has no control over the STB.

I am running Windows Server 2008R2 as my OS and need to have this working in WinTV as I don't really want to go through the hassle of hack-installing Media Center into this OS.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you folks may have for me.
ah- ok, so you DO have the blastcfg. file. As far as channel changes go, if you're using an external box in WinTV, don't you just set input channel to either composite, channel 3 or 4, and then have the blaster control the box, ie WinTV never changes a channel. I use SageTV, so I can't be sure about WinTV. I played with it once and seemed to remember if you don't feed it either ATSC antenna, cable or analog cable, then channel changes are all done externally.

dtvinvictoria
2011-08-14, 11:40 PM
if you're using an external box in WinTV, don't you just set input channel to either composite, channel 3 or 4, and then have the blaster control the box,

That's the idea, unfortunately I can not get the IR blaster to control my Bell STB. Whenever I try to learn the IR commands from the Bell remote I get a success message, but whenever it transmits the command there's no response from my STB.

blueroomelectro
2011-08-15, 12:34 AM
Your Bell IR is probably 56kHz, most IR blasters are good only good around 38kHz.

dtvinvictoria
2011-08-15, 12:53 AM
Thank-You for the info. Any change there is an IR Blaster for 56 KHz?

dtvinvictoria
2011-08-16, 11:09 PM
Upon ferthur investigation it looks like I may be able to send IR commands with the blaster, just not learn them. Kinda useless because Hauppauge forces the learning mode on newer versions of WinTV. Does anyone have a setup working with a Bell or Dish Network receiver that could post the contents of their hcwblast.ini file?? I may be able to make this work without "learning"

dtvinvictoria
2011-08-18, 10:20 PM
Well Perseverance pays off, I finally got the IR Blaster to work. It turns out after about 15/16 attempts the program finally learns the remote commands. For anyone who has the same problem in the future here is a copy of my hcwblast.ini file: http://ve7alb.net/files/HCWBlast.txt

this assumes the Bell receiver is on remote address 2

amosnov
2011-11-03, 01:51 PM
Well Perseverance pays off, I finally got the IR Blaster to work. It turns out after about 15/16 attempts the program finally learns the remote commands.
Hi, thanks for the info you provided in this post, gives me some hope. Can you provide a little detail on your "perserverance" with IR blaster set up using learn mode. I have the Hauppauge Colossus and I want to control a Shaw gateway portal. Despite learn "success" on all numbers so far I can only send '0' successfully. All the other numbers appear to be ignored.

When you say 15/16 attempts, do you mean 15/16 attempts with each number (learn success each time) before you get a send success or do you mean you achieved success with learn and send for all numbers and it still didn't work until around the 15 attempt loading in all numbers. Appreciate if you can provide any details here.

nambi
2012-10-02, 08:58 PM
I'm having the same issue, blaster states that it learned the ir command yet it fails to work, some areas of the remote it learns successful yet other it fails.

Here is my issue I want steam my PVR recordings from my BEV PVR but i can get the pvr button to learn and work, I can move left and right but my "enter" button fails to work and most often I'm stuck on a screen that I will need to "cancel" and the "cancel" button doesn't learn, making my whole Israel utterly useless, I also hope to send function commands to ff and rewind.

I wish I could also send these commands via flow player but the flow player that comes with the hauppage is very limited.

The Colossus is a nice concept but a lot to be desired. I would never rely on this as my primary pvr.

riffer
2012-10-06, 12:07 PM
I do, but I don't have the problem that you guys do, as my Rogers Box is supported (indirectly). The only thing I didn't get to work was the WinTV remote. I believe this is a driver issue that I haven't bothered troubleshooting, as I use a RF keyboard to do everything on the HTPC.

Not being familiar with Bell, is your box just a rebadge of something else? For example, I configured my Cisco 4642HD as a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, assuming the commands were the same seeing as Cisco took over Scientific Atlanta. Worked fine.