: Native Hulu+, Netflix box and DNLA support

bdoyledimou
2011-07-26, 01:02 PM
I am looking for a box that has built in NATIVE Netflix and Hulu+ support, as well as traditional DLNA support (for connecting to PlayOn!)

I can find boxes with Netflix, or boxes with Netflix AND Hulu+ or boxes with DLNA streaming, but not all three (unless i go with a ps3 and my wife hates the folders)..

Roku seems to fit the requirements, but not available in Canada...

Would the WDTV or the Boxee box do all these?

becks
2011-07-26, 02:01 PM
WDTV & Boxee don't have access to Hulu+ yet. I'm guessing you're using a VPN service for Hulu+ as it's not available in Canada?

bdoyledimou
2011-07-26, 02:19 PM
Correct on the VPN solution --

So i suppose i will have to pick up a Roku -- was hoping a ATV 2 would do the trick though

becks
2011-07-26, 02:26 PM
I would put an ATV 2 at the bottom of the list, I would pick a Roku, WDTV, Boxee over it anyday.

audacity
2011-07-26, 02:52 PM
While I haven't used one myself I've heard plenty of good things about Roku products, especially when compared to an Apple TV.

Looking over their product list their "XS" model @ $99 looks very appealing to me, but that is because I've been around long enough to know that streaming video is best done via a wired Ethernet connection.

North_of_Calgary
2011-07-27, 09:17 PM
While I haven't used one myself I've heard plenty of good things about Roku products, especially when compared to an Apple TV.

H'mmmm, as an owner of both I have to completely disagree (and I'm generally not an Apple fan-boy). But I should clarify: in the context of primarily being a Netflix device. I've gone over it in more detail in other threads but basically ATV is smaller, lighter, thermally cooler, much faster, better UI, better Netflix app, better at YouTube, better for streaming from your computer/personal device, and the best part of all: the remote learning ability. Obviously though no Hulu or DNLA which is the subject of this thread after all. Just my 2 cents....

Wayne
2011-07-29, 11:23 AM
In a thread on the Roku2 someone said that Roku will ship to Canada so that is an option - and since you are using VPN you don't care if it supports Netflix Canada.

Another option, although more expensive and louder, is a PC running Windows Media Center.

Your PS3 has the advantage of providing better audio quality - isn't the PS3 the only Netflix client with surround sound support?

If you Jailbreak an ATV you can install XBMC on it and this could be a good collection for your local media, although I am not sure that it plays back MPEG-2 files.

audacity
2011-07-29, 12:25 PM
Your PS3 has the advantage of providing better audio quality - isn't the PS3 the only Netflix client with surround sound support?

I don't believe so, no. I'd have to double check (since I don't typically use my XBOX 360 for this) but I remember getting 5.1 Netflix from my XBOX 360 earlier this year when I was using XBOX 360s as WMC extenders.

supergenius
2011-07-29, 04:09 PM
Check out the thread on the LG Smart Tv Upgrader here (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=140701). It does all the things your are asking and its readily available at Futureshop and Best Buy for $99. I just set mine up yesterday and can confirm Netflix/Hulu+/Amazon VOD/ Pandora/DLNA all work.

bdoyledimou
2011-07-30, 02:08 AM
i looked at one of the SmartTV Upgraders but there was no mention of Hulu+ and none of the online reviews mention it..

Thanks! i will pop into FS tommorow and check one out.. ! This may just be the solution i need epecially at $99

Any chance to get a peek at the Hulu+ interface? like i said this is for the wife -- if she dont like it, i am stuck with a $80 cable bill :)

classicsat
2011-07-30, 10:04 AM
HTPC does not mean big and loud. You can get SFF PCs which are small and quiet.

bdoyledimou
2011-07-30, 04:17 PM
How are you getting Hulu+ on this box? using the web browser or an App? i dont see a Hulu+ app listed.

supergenius
2011-07-30, 04:23 PM
Hulu+ is an app. You might have to add it from the app menu to be one of the 5 favourites. It definitely shows on mine.

bdoyledimou
2011-07-31, 03:16 AM
i need the latest firmware update apparently. Except that i am getting "update is failed" error messages. wired, wireless, vpn, no vpn. it just sits for 5 minutes to two hours then fails.

Going to call on Monday to see if they have a PC downloadable version of the firmware (the last one on the site is two weeks old but a different number)

bdoyledimou
2011-08-02, 10:35 AM
Finally got this thing working, and it passed the WAF.

So long Cable!