: Roku2

North_of_Calgary
2011-07-20, 03:14 PM
The Roku2 hardware lineup was released today. Full details on their website and a number of tech sites.

Had seen the image of it previously with their FCC application. Looks nice: even smaller than the ATV2. Neat looking new remote as well.

Availability isn't for a few weeks from now and apparently there's a new Netflix app that's specific to the Roku2. No mention on whether the new app would be more compatible with the Netflix Canada service - somehow doubt it.

hugh
2011-07-20, 03:32 PM
edited for brevity from press release

Available in three models – the Roku 2 HD, Roku 2 XD and Roku 2 XS – this new line brings popular casual games including Angry Birds to the TV alongside Roku’s large and growing selection of entertainment. Roku 2 players also feature a sleek new design that’s more energy-efficient than before, using less than two watts of power.

“We’ve worked closely with Rovio to bring the first full version of Angry Birds to the TV – and best of all, we’re including it for free with the top-of-the-line XS model.”

New channels launching soon on Roku 2 include Facebook, AOL HD, and FOXNews.com. Additional games will be available shortly after launch including Angry Birds Rio and Angry Birds Seasons.

The Roku 2 platform offers nearly 300 channels of streaming entertainment including movies and TV shows from Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video and Crackle; live and on-demand sports from NBA Game Time, NHL GameCenter Live and Ultimate Fighting Championship; music from Pandora, MOG, Rdio and TuneIn Radio; photos and videos from Flickr and Vimeo; plus news and entertainment from around the world.

A Streaming Player for Everyone

All three Roku 2 models feature built-in wireless, Bluetooth for connecting a game remote and a microSD slot to support additional game storage. The Roku 2 HD player supports up to 720p HD video while the Roku 2 XD player supports up to 1080p HD video. Roku 2 also adds several significant enhancements to its acclaimed Netflix experience, including support for English subtitles, Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 pass-through and up to 1080p HD video quality (on the XD and XS models).

The Roku 2 XS player provides the ultimate casual gaming experience on the TV. Now, Angry Birds fans who love to launch birds at jeering green pigs can enjoy the full version of the game for the first time on the TV, free of charge. The Roku 2 XS includes the new Roku Game Remote with motion control which has been optimized for bird-slinging action on the big screen. The Roku 2 XS also features an Ethernet port for a wired Internet connection and a USB port for playing music, videos, and photos off of any USB drive.

Pricing and Availability

The Roku 2 HD, the Roku 2 XD and the Roku 2 XS are expected to be available by the end of July for suggested retail prices of $59.99, $79.99 and $99.99 respectively. The Roku Game Remote will be available in the coming weeks as part of a bundle that includes a 2GB microSD card for a suggested retail price of $29.99.

North_of_Calgary
2011-07-20, 08:10 PM
I like the small size and low power usage. The size and heat were things I didn't like with the previous generation Roku hardware. (NOTE: the previous versions were not the original - they were revamped from the original devices so really this current rev is more like Roku3. Well maybe they had 1.0 then 1.5 and now 2.0 :D)

Anyway, back to the point: while it may be smaller and cooler (in both senses of the word) I'm disappointed that the ethernet jack is gone on all but the highest end model as is the ability to use a standard composite cable. I'm sure everyone has dozens of spare composite cables around the house but probably none of those 3.5mm-to-RCA specialty cables. Being able to hook it up via ethernet and composite made it very handy in some situations (i.e. a hotel room).

Wayne
2011-07-21, 12:45 PM
Does Roku ship to Canada or can you buy it in stores?

North_of_Calgary
2011-07-21, 06:53 PM
I had mine (older version) shipped to Canada. I think FedEx charged me an extra $12 after the fact though.

jccamp95
2011-07-26, 05:42 PM
am I missing something but does this device allow you to stream media from your PC or just from the internet?

North_of_Calgary
2011-07-27, 08:12 PM
There are several applications (aka "channels") that will allow you to stream from your PC.

Crash7
2011-08-03, 06:25 PM
Any word on the Roku2 being available in any stores in Canada as of yet? I'd rather not buy online.

bdoyledimou
2011-08-03, 09:12 PM
The Roku devices are not sold in Canada, and based on my correspondence with them, no plans on it. I ended up getting a LG Smart TV upgrader instead.

Works great. (local and internet) -- it really all depends on what you want to stream i suppose.