: Can't get bluray's to play

Mr.Fork
2011-07-04, 03:26 PM
I recently purchased a LiteOn 4x Internal Blu-ray Disc Reader (SATA) for my Windows 7 (32bit ultimate) home theatre pc.

It came with PowerDVD as a bluray player, but it won't play my legit and purchased BluRay movies. It came up about copyright protection blah blah blah BS.

Hmm...strange, it plays fine upstairs in my bluray player. But not my PC equiped with a bluray drive?

Anyone else come across this? How did you get past the BS copyright lockdowns?

hugh
2011-07-04, 03:29 PM
You'll need to provide a lot more information than "blah blah blah bs" if you want help.

What are the error messages? What version of the software are you using? How is the monitor hooked up?

Michael DeAbreu
2011-07-04, 06:28 PM
The player came with a crippled copy of PowerDVD 8 or 9 (Stereo only, no 5.1 surround.). The current version is pDVD 11. Consequently the software is unable to handle recent discs with new encryption schemes. You could check for a patch. Open the pDVD settings. The icon looks like a hammer and screwdriver. Click upgrade button. The next window has three tabs. Choose "patch".

You could upgrade to the newest version. Or buy Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre instead. Or you could purchase a subscription to AnyDVD from Slysoft. That removes BD/DVD encryption on-the-fly.

Feeling Cheated? (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=135424)

recneps77
2011-07-04, 07:57 PM
Ahh, our beloved HDCP.
As Michael said, update your software to the latest patch and possibly drive firmware as well (check liteon's website for any updates).

Failing that, there are alternatives.
Anydvd, as mentioned, or you can dump the disc to your hard drive, decrypting as it does so. But if you want to watch live, something like anydvd is better. Dump method is only useful if you're going to store it on a NAS or re-encode to watch on a portable device or the like.

Mr.Fork
2011-07-22, 11:33 AM
Thanks everyone for their comments - I'm looking into ANYDVD-HD as a solution. But it's a little pricey- too bad they don't understand the price-elasticity model. (meaning, sell it for a lot cheaper, sell many times more).

At $90 Canadian, that's almost as much as I paid for Windows 7 Ultimate. But if it'll solve my issues, so be it. :)

hugh
2011-07-22, 11:47 AM
FYI, you don't need ANYDVD to play Blu-ray on your computer. You only need it if you want to defeat HDCP.

ScaryBob
2011-07-22, 05:31 PM
Software Blu-ray players are typically just as expensive, especially for the DD5.1/DTS versions. They sometimes require annual or biennial updates as well. AnyDVD turns out to be a pretty good deal when the long term licensing options are taken into account. Plus, you can use your HTPC software of choice, not be stuck with some really terrible proprietary interface.